Mud Runs - Are they really worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I did the Dirty Girl last summer, and had a good time. The obstacles were almost dumb though, they were so easy. I enjoyed the mud and wet, though! The "run" term is used VERY loosely in the Dirty Girl though. Very few people actually RAN any of it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Whoa...hang on one second here....

You people PAY to run through mud?

*spots his farms next moneymaking scheme*

Will you pay extra for animal ****?
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes, do it! I just did my first mud run and it was a blast! I will definitely do another. I'm so bruised that I look like I've been in a car wreck, but the sense of accomplishment at the end was worth it. I never in a million years thought I would pay to run 3.7 miles in freezing temperatures and snow, and like it!
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There great fun and the Camaraderie is amazing. A group of friends did a cold november in the uk and it was still the best thing ive ever done. smiled for start to finish.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Whoa...hang on one second here....

You people PAY to run through mud?

*spots his farms next moneymaking scheme*

Will you pay extra for animal ****?

probably
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes.

i did my first in november of 2011.

i did three in 2012, including a tough mudder and a spartan race.

i have four planned for this year.

i do it for the beer and the t-shirt.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    im not about to ruin a good pair of running shoes on top of a high admission price so no, not for me.

more beer at the end for me.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm going to go for it and just ruin one set of clothes! :wink:

One tip that someone told me that I found very helpful was to wear board/surf shorts. When they got wet, they didn't cling to me during the rest of the race and obstacles. For me this was especially helpful since my WD was in February and even though it was in Florida, it was cold! Not having wet shorts stuck to my legs really helped. And gloves...wear workout gloves.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Run for Your Lives Zombie 5k obstacle course. What kind of training do you guys do for them? I am doing C25K right now, but I feel like I'm gonna need some serious strength training.

I had pretty much zero upper body strength so I did a lot of that in the months before the race. You will need it. Check out the obstacles online. I had a trainer (free at my gym) and told him what I was going to be doing and he designed a program to help. It did. I never thought I could pull myself up a wall! Woot woot!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'm going to go for it and just ruin one set of clothes! :wink:

One tip that someone told me that I found very helpful was to wear board/surf shorts. When they got wet, they didn't cling to me during the rest of the race and obstacles. For me this was especially helpful since my WD was in February and even though it was in Florida, it was cold! Not having wet shorts stuck to my legs really helped. And gloves...wear workout gloves.

the board shorts are a great idea. i've done four races and never thought of that. i usually wwear old gym shorts with compression underwear.

and i don't wear gloves. i just think that they would get really uncomfortable really quickly. the first mud obstacle where you have to crawl or fall in the mud, it'll get underneath the glove. and you'll never be able to get it really clean during the race without wasting a lot of time.

i don't even think they would've made a small differance. climbing the rope maybe if they were fresh and clean, but climbing with the muddy gloves would've just been more uncomfortable. and the monkey bars?? with soacked slicked gloves??

sorry for any typos. i'm typing without the use of my left pointer finger.
  • Slicke68
    Slicke68 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am with you, I completed the 0930 wave of the Survivor Mud Run. I had a blast, but like you, I am still sore as hell. Congrats on completing the run.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Mud runs are like - being chased by bandits while driving up a windy mountain road in a '67 charger with explosions going off all around.

While normal 5k's are like - sitting at a nursing home drinking tea and listening to old people fart.

Just my opinion though.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Mud runs are like - being chased by bandits while driving up a windy mountain road in a '67 charger with explosions going off all around.

While normal 5k's are like - sitting at a nursing home drinking tea and listening to old people fart.

Just my opinion though.

:love:
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I participated in a mud run last summer here in Lincoln. It was all for fun. Everyone got a medal for participating. Depending where you're at, it's tough running in hot and humid conditions. It helps that the mud run took place in the morning, but still gets pretty hot.

Wear old tennis shoes and old clothes.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just found one that Myrtle Beach, SC does!! =D and I want to do it!! I'd love a trip back home to play in the MUD!
  • SuriFire
    SuriFire Posts: 1
    Options
    Are there mud runs that are fun to run solo, specifically in North CA? I tried zombie run last year with friends, it would've been hard to finish 'alive' without a group. All-girl runs also seem to be 99% teams.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think that would be something fun to try at least once...=) I should look in my area to see if they have any going on.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I am signed up for the Run 4 your Lives 5K in July. My BIL signed me up when I said the only way I would ever run is if something was chasing me. So that is what kicked my butt in gear to come here. I am incredibly out of shape and overweight and I probably will have to go around some obstacles, but I can guarantee you I will be in better shape and health going in than I am now.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am going to do the Rebel Race in May with a team of approx. 30 other mamas. It will be my first mud run, and I'm sure not my last!