Alternative to soy sauce?

Options
Is there a less sodium alternative to soy sauce? I already use the reduced sodium but it's still a lot!

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    use less or try braggs liquid aminos...not sure if it's less salt but it's something to look into. Or just try different sauces altogether.
  • aedan77
    aedan77 Posts: 11
    Options
    not sure if this may help, but i dump a ton of condiments on my food like ketchup, hot sauce, honey mustard (not at the same time of course). Check out the condiments list at subway or some of the salsa ideas from chipotle
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Coconut aminos

41ol7PN%2BwrL._SX385_.jpg
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    use less or try braggs liquid aminos...not sure if it's less salt but it's something to look into. Or just try different sauces altogether.
    It (Bragg's) still has plenty of naughty sodium........like just about everything! :angry:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Tamari, or Bragg's Aminos
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't eat soy sauce because of the wheat contentI use Chinese 5 Spice. Makes things taste like eggrolls. Mmmmmmm....
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Is it for stir-fry? Maybe 1/2 soy sauce and 1/2 water? Or go to the chinese aisle and there are lots of stirfry sauces that might be lower in sodium but still have good flavour. When I want soy sauce I just eat it and lower sodium intake during my other meals that day.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    For me when I make stir fry I don't need soy sauce but I like the physical appeal of how it makes the rice looks. To make it healthier I use ginger, garlic, and other spices plus browning (http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-jamaican-choice-browning-i210552). A little goes a long way and it's a lot less calories than soy sauce. I use anywhere from 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon because a little goes a long way. If you season the stir fry well you wont even notice that there's no soy sauce.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Sodium shouldn't matter much unless you have high BP. You'll retain a little more water, but that's a minimal side effect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I can't eat soy sauce because of the wheat contentI use Chinese 5 Spice. Makes things taste like eggrolls. Mmmmmmm....

Proper Japanese tamari is wheat free.

Check the labels, and there will be some that are purely soy, salt and water.

It's usually good to use less than you would standard soy sauce as it's quite strong.