Why am I a size 16?

13»

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    There's nothing wrong with being any size. Don't worry about the number on your clothes.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    It's hard to not pay attention to the size sometimes. I totally get that. Between sizes varying from store to store and vanity sizing it's enough to drive you insane.

A good example of this is when I was in college. My best friend and I were approximately the same weight. She's 5'2" and I'm 5'4". She carries most of her weight in her stomach whereas I carry most of mine around my hips. As a result, she was still a size 6 or a size 4 and I was a size 12. Crazy, right?

Don't stress over the size. It's really only a number and it doesn't define who you are as a person. Like someone else said before, you will look better in clothes that fit you well no matter what the number on the tag says.
  • sskilton
    sskilton Posts: 8 Member
    Wow thank you for all the replies. I don't get alerts telling me anyone has posted so sorry for not responding. I did mean inches not cms and love the pics of different women who all weigh 150.

I have just bought a pair of jeans Size 14 that fit beautifully and have another pair of 14 trousers that dont go near me. 2 pairs of black trousers same make both 16 and one pair fits the other to big so go figure.

In Next a 14 is far to small yet a 16 too big. So I am definitely not going to worry any more it is bonkers.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    everyone's boy is a different shape. Look at colour me beautiful book.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    As well as your shape, build etc it also depends on how tight you like to wear your clothing! My friend still claims to be a size 10 because even though she has put weight on her hips she wears her trousers and skirts very tight. If I was her I would be wearing a 12 if not a 14! However I prefer my clothes to be on the big side so usually take a 16 even though I could probably 'squeeze' into a 12 if I didn't mind everything showing!
    x
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,322 Member
    Its all about fit, not #'s.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    It all depends on the shape of your body. I have to wear size 16 (UK) tops because of my big bazookas, but my clothes are baggy around the waist.
    All shops are different too. Sometimes I have to get size 16 jeans too because of my thighs, but then they are loose around the waist.

Try not to get too hung up on what's written on the tag :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,449 Member
    I've found this site useful because it gives the measurements for different brands

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

But you don't sound like a 16 in any brand! I'm shorter than you but with bigger measurements and I wear 12 - 16 (the 12 is from Jaeger, which I recommend for vanity sizing! :laugh: ).

Edit: I put your measurements and you come out a size 10 - 12 in most brands. For the bottom half, anyway. Maybe you are large-busted, and that's why you need a bigger size? You seem to be a perfect size going by your stats!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Wow, I'd love to have your stats... 28.5", 37" .. damn

I wouldn't be upset because you don't fit a size 2.. these days, clothing companies and designers don't make clothes for real people anymore anyway. I can't really remember the last time I went jeans shopping, I'd say atleast 5 years ago because I never can find jeans to fit my thighs and waist.. one always fits but the other doesn't.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    I have 4 pairs of size 10 skinny trousers/jeans from the same store and they all fit differently, from snug, to normal to baggy!
  • hazypea
    hazypea Posts: 7 Member
    Stop worrying about sizes.... they don't mean anything... well fitting clothes are what you need... regardless of size.... we all have curves, hips, busts and are all different... I have jeans in 12 and 14, dresses in 12, tops in 14, and I wear big big jumpers... i also live in mens hooded jackets :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Last time I weighed what I do now(which is around 150) I was wearing size 10-12 clothes.. Even when I gained weight, I was still wearing that.

Fast forward 30 pounds gone with some exercise and strength training, same 150 pounds but I'm wearing a size 4.

So many factors go into clothing sizes that it's crazy, but I can generally tell what will fit and what won't. Mainly because I only shop at a few stores, and get to know the brands pretty well.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    I came down from 197 lbs and a very tight 16 to 157 lbs and I'm still in 16s in most brands UK although they are now comfortable. Only a few of my old fat clothes are unwearable. It's a bit frustrating as I would like to wear 14s. Some brands, like Boden are quite small though I do like their stuff and some, like M & S a bit bigger. They do stretchy jeans with different sized waists for different shapes. I am currently in ones called Eva which have a larger waist for the hip. I may be going in to a 14 soon, hooray!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    I am 38, female, 5' 6". Waist 28.5cm and Hips 37.5cm and weight 10st 10lb. So how am I a size 16 when the size guides I have looked at say at most I should be a 12. What is wrong with me?

Quit obsessing over size. It won't help you.

Lose weight. Track. Exercise. Your size will go down.