859 calories shopping?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    no, just no...

this is not exercise..this is just daily activity..

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...

No, this is not daily activity. I do not go shopping at the mall and walk for the most part of 4 hours. I do not count weekly shopping trips to walmart etc. I was also toting bags of clothes, shoes

Why don't you just do what you want to do and not ask for opinions that you really don't care about?

Ummm so a trip to the mall counts, but a trip to walmart does not? I am missing something here...?

You really should not log daily activities - shopping, work, cleaning, walking to car, etc....as "exercise" just my opinion...

No, walmart trips are my normal routine. Are you reading what I am posting? The mall trip for almost 4 hours was more than I normally do in a week. Clear yet?

no, walking around the mall is not exercise sorry .it just is not..

I went to the mall last weekend and walked around for two hours..that is not exercise..that is something I did during the day aka daily activity...

Yes, walking is exercise. I go to the gym and bust *kitten* on the treadmill at an incline at 4 mph and I am pretty sure that is exercise. And yes, for the third time, it (an almost 4 hour shopping trip most of which I was walking albeit slower than 4 mph) is over and above what I would normally do on any day, therefor it is NOT normal daily activity. Thanks for your input though.

Why don't you just do what you want to do and not waste our time asking for opinions you don't care about?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Well, you have to figure some of that is your standard burn (what you would burn even if just sitting) - my hourly average is 90 calories just sitting. (If yours is similar, and it may not be, it would be nearly 360 - so you may have burned around an extra 500). Have you worn your HRM for three days and averaged the three numbers to get your average TDEE?

Sorry HRM is not designer for use all day... It is just designer for increase HR.

OP, don't count it as exercise. It is part of your daily activity. When you do not have an elevator HR it will not be as accurate.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member

Thin people also don't have as much body mass to move around, and I think there is some serious fat hatred going on in this thread. When someone isn't thin, lots of movements that thin and active people take for granted as easy breezy daily activity are nothing of the sort. When I'm overweight, normal things for you (like just one flight of stairs, let alone 20) can leave me out of breath and sweating. Nobody said they were planning to stuff up on hundreds of calories of junk all justified by a walk from the parking lot to the store. Asking if a measurement of calorie burn is accurate isn't the same as seeking justification to eat it all back. It is important to not burn a large uncounted excess of calories in a day without giving yourself some added nutrition. She seems self aware of the situation enough to have asked the question in the first place.

And yes, if I sat on my butt (even more than regularly??) all day, then I would make sure to go a bit under my normal calorie range. Obviously.

Good commentary.

OP was obviously doing physical movement. That's exercise.

In OP's situation, I would log half of the HRM's estimate to be on the safe side. Then I would eat back those calories, or not, depending on my hunger levels.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    OP - you asked for opinions and got them. Supportive doesn't always mean telling you what you want to hear.

Nope, at this point I wouldn't count shopping. One reason is because it's generally a slow pace. I also don't count gardening or cleaning, unless I'm actually working a sweat or can feel it. I have gotten to the point where I can feel the difference and when I'm putting in effort.

But, that said, I don't eat low calories and instead eat at a moderate deficit of my TDEE, so I'm not as retentive about tracking every calorie I burn.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

Thin people also don't have as much body mass to move around,

Because they move around and don't worry about getting extra "nutrition" to compensate.
  • Umeboshi

Because they move around and don't worry about getting extra "nutrition" to compensate.

Oh hey, some more sizeism.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,166 Member

Why does every movement during the day need to be compensated for with extra food regardless of whether it was normal or not? That's fat people thinking. If you only log these things so it looks good for your friends that's rather pointless too. Thin people don't come home from shopping wondering how many calories they burned or how if they can eat that extra cookie because they shopped today.

The whole thing is a mindset that needs to be changed. Every movement doesn't require a reward of food. You don't get a gold star every time you actually do something, it's life. Some days you do more, some days you do less. It all evens out in the end. I bet the days you don't feel like doing much you don't deduct calories because you sat on your butt all day.

A reasonable voice on here. Mind blown. Kudos. :)

OP re-read this please and take heed.
  • If it is a "not-everyday-activity" I would log about half of the time as "walking 2mph" or similar. This way you get some exercise calories but won't be over-estimating.

This is what I do, because it isn't something that you do on the norm. But instead of the 4 hours only log 2.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Thin people also don't have as much body mass to move around, and I think there is some serious fat hatred going on in this thread. When someone isn't thin, lots of movements that thin and active people take for granted as easy breezy daily activity are nothing of the sort. When I'm overweight, normal things for you (like just one flight of stairs, let alone 20) can leave me out of breath and sweating. Nobody said they were planning to stuff up on hundreds of calories of junk all justified by a walk from the parking lot to the store. Asking if a measurement of calorie burn is accurate isn't the same as seeking justification to eat it all back. It is important to not burn a large uncounted excess of calories in a day without giving yourself some added nutrition. She seems self aware of the situation enough to have asked the question in the first place.

And yes, if I sat on my butt (even more than regularly??) all day, then I would make sure to go a bit under my normal calorie range. Obviously.

Good commentary.

In OP's situation, I would log half of the HRM's estimate to be on the safe side. Then I would eat back those calories, or not, depending on my hunger levels.

Its not about fat hatred....its about whether you should log a stroll through the mall as "exercise' Given that logic I could park my car at end of the parking lot walking into the grocery store and say "oh, look I parked an extra 20 feet away I can log this as exercise because I do not normally do that"....I don't care if you fat, thin, curvy whatever I just don't think things people are doing on daily basis..cleaning, shopping etc should be logged...the OP asked if it should be logged and I gave my opinion...
  • Umeboshi

Good commentary.

Its not about fat hatred....its about whether you should log a stroll through the mall as "exercise' Given that logic I could park my car at end of the parking lot walking into the grocery store and say "oh, look I parked an extra 20 feet away I can log this as exercise because I do not normally do that"....I don't care if you fat, thin, curvy whatever I just don't think things people are doing on daily basis..cleaning, shopping etc should be logged...the OP asked if it should be logged and I gave my opinion...

Um, OP stated repeatedly that they don't walk for hours in the mall on a daily basis. Many people don't clean or shop on a daily basis either. Normal daily activity differs from person to person.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member

Seriously not cool. Don't judge others and don't assume things you don't know about others.
  • Umeboshi

Seriously not cool. Don't judge others and don't assume things you don't know about others.

Classic case of stereotyping fat people. Didn't you know, all of us have the exact same though processes, activity levels, and eating habits. :yawn:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    On the note of cleaning or anything of that sort too, I won't log it unless I'm cleaning snow off of cars for an extended period of time or shoveling snow. Those (particularly shoveling) are definitely above and beyond normal daily burns!

I probably wouldn't log the four hour mall trip myself, but to the OP, I would say it's up to you - if I did, I would suggest logging half of the calories. I'm sure you don't make a four hour mall trip every single day, so it IS above and beyond your daily expenditure. Your choice, and just because you log it (or don't log it) doesn't mean you have to eat it!

The 20 sets of stairs every day deal, when it's something like that, I would change the lifestyle setting. Same if I were to get a job loading trucks or whatnot, manual labor, etc.. no way I would go and log 8 hours of this or that - just up daily calories to compensate!
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member

Didn't you know, when people who are overweight eat food it is only "nutrition" *wink wink somebody wants a cookie*. We never eat back exercise calories with protein or veggies, lol.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    I don't consider shopping worth counting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Good commentary.

Um, OP stated repeatedly that they don't walk for hours in the mall on a daily basis. Many people don't clean or shop on a daily basis either. Normal daily activity differs from person to person.

so what?

should the equivalent four trips to Walmart also be logged then?

What if the OP sat at home for four hours...went to the mall for four hours..then came home and did nothing...should it still be logged bc rest of day was sedentary?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    So, I'm getting the idea that some think that walking around at a leisurely pace does not burn any more calories than just sitting around.

I sit behind the wheel of a truck for 10 hours a day (long haul). I am pretty sure I burn extra calories when I walk than when I literally sit sedentary all day long.

My HR rises 20-30 beats in my fat body just standing from sitting.

I'm not say'n. I'm just say'n.... :flowerforyou:

I do believe it burns more. I also believe walking is exercise.
    I also believe that the formulas that figure our calorie goal take into account daily activity that is not just sitting, even at sedentary. So some of those extra calories are already accounted for. I also realize that this is above and beyond what she normally does, but for the sake of one day, for a few extra calories, I wouldn't log it. Like I said I'd consider it a bonus or to make up for a day I was less than normally active or maybe a few calories over goal.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

Sorry, I have to disagree with the first part of this. I think that it isn't necessarily a being overweight thing. While things can be harder and you are moving more mass around being overweight, it's kind of more of an indication of being out of shape. When I started running, my thin cousin started at the same time. I weighed 270 pounds, she weighed 140. She had just as difficult a time starting it as I did. My thin husband thought he was going to die on the 30 second intervals. I wanted to blame the difficulty I was having on my weight, but really, starting running is just hard for everyone who is out of shape. But, it's amazing what we are capable of if we work at it, even when we are overweight.

OP - By all means, if it truly felt like cardio effort (not just sore feet, etc. from being on them all day) then count it as a burn. Especially if you are eating at a lower level. But, be honest with yourself. You were there, you know how it felt, we don't.
  • Umeboshi

Didn't you know, when people who are overweight eat food it is only "nutrition" *wink wink somebody wants a cookie*. We never eat back exercise calories with protein or veggies, lol.

NEVER, OBVIOUSLY FAT PEOPLE EAT NOTHING BUT DONUTS AND COOKIES AND BIG MACS AND WE LIVE SOLELY FOR EXCUSES TO EAT MORE OF OUR PRECIOUS FATTY FOOD, WE ARE ALL MINDLESS COOKIE ZOMBIES!
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member

NEVER, OBVIOUSLY FAT PEOPLE EAT NOTHING BUT DONUTS AND COOKIES AND BIG MACS AND WE LIVE SOLELY FOR EXCUSES TO EAT MORE OF OUR PRECIOUS FATTY FOOD, WE ARE ALL MINDLESS COOKIE ZOMBIES!

And now I'm picturing Cookie Monster as also a zombie. Bwahahah!