Running NSV

Options
ashleyoh33
ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
I'm currently doing the c25k program. Today was the day I've been dreading since one day a couple of weeks ago when I realized I would be expected to run for 20 minutes straight. 20 minutes? YEAH RIGHT! And it's not like it gradually works up to that...it goes from 8 mins to 20 mins in ONE DAY. INSANE. But what's really insane? I DID IT! Yeah, I couldn't run for 3 mins straight a couple of months ago, and 3 weeks ago five minutes left me feeling like I was on the brink of death, but today I RAN FOR 20 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING OR GASPING FOR AIR!!!! WHOOOO!

p.s. I still hate running and I think the "runners high" thing is a myth, but I'm definitely proud of myself!

Replies

• sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You ought to be proud of yourself! That is a big accomplishment. Don't give up on the runner's high yet, though. As you increase your time and distance and just keep at it, your body may start to love it. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Just wait, I promise, week 10 you will be amazed.
    3 years ago I could barely manage running 60 seconds.

I get my runners high around mile 5.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's a great achievement :)

I used to hate running too and used the C25K program to get started. I don't hate it as much as I used to (sometimes I even like it) and I'm planning to run a 10 mile race in May. Keep up the good work!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I am currently on the last week and still can't believe I did it.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know exactly how you feel, I just finished the program 3 weeks ago. I never thought I would make it when it asked for 10 minutes straight. I am with you though, I still hate running and have yet to experience a runners high! It's great cardio though and the only reason I do 20 minutes 3 times a week is for the burn and conditioning.
  • mjm9003
    mjm9003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great NSV!
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    way to go!
    I start week 5 next week and when I started week 4 I was sure I would fail.
    But I did not!
    It is amazing what you can achieve if you really put your mind to it (and practice!)

GOOD JOB :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    1) Congratulations! That is awesome.
    2) I'm doing a homemade version of C25K and I had no idea you were supposed to jump from 8 minutes to 20 minutes. Next week is my 8 minute week so I'm freaking out a little.
    3) As a former 10k-er and half-marathoner I can assure you that the runner's high is no myth, but I didn't discover until I was in-between the 5k and 10k fitness level. Think of it as your pot of gold out there.

Congrats again!
  • lmnconn
    lmnconn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just completed the C25K program today. I've never been a runner. In high school we'd run a mile, but that was 30 years ago!! The first time running 20 minutes is a big accomplishment and a great feeling when you finish. I am waiting for better weather so I can run outside and get off the boring treadmill. I just downloaded the 10K program. Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! That is a great NSV!!

I just started the C25K app on my phone tonight. I had to cut it short a few minutes because dinner was in the oven and I did not want it to burn. I thought I was going to die, I could really tell how extremely out of shape I am in right now. WOW>

I do have a question though... the C25K on my phone just has Week 1 Day 1, 2, and 3 then it goes to Week 2 Day 1, 2, and 3. Do you just do this program 3 days a week or do you do each Day twice for the whole week with maybe 1 rest day on the 7th day?? I am sorry to sound so dumb, but the app did not come with instructions.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Maybe I will get that runners high eventually although right now the idea of running for 5 miles makes me want to vomit!!

Shellma, you do it every other day so your legs can recover in between. I do my runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and either Saturday or Sunday.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

Shellmae - You're suppose to do it three times a week.
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Runners high is no myth. I used to hate running as well. I didn't get my first runners high until I started pushing my distance above the three mile mark, but eventually it will happen.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm on week 3 of C25k. I can see that it's getting easier as well, and I hate running too!! LOL At least I used to. But I've signed up for a 5k for August and don't want to be the laughing stock, so here I am, running!! Glad to hear you survived the 20 minutes!!
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Where can I locate the details of the C25K? I am ready to be healthy, and I believe I would LOVE this! Thanks!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help... I do know that my hip is hurting this morning, but I am very surprised that my calves are not hurting. They were on fire after I finished my first day. :smile:
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishment!! Way to go!!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I remember running for 20 minutes and being so proud of myself! You'll be blown away at your accomplishments from here on out. Do a 5k and you will not be able to get the smile off of your face for days:)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

p.s. I still hate running and I think the "runners high" thing is a myth, but I'm definitely proud of myself!

1st: COngrats!

2nd: The runners high does exist but it takes running a bit longer to hit it. Some studies say as long as 2 hours of running to feel the full effects. But I usually start feeling great between miles 3 and 4. After 6 I feel amazing. After 20 I feel like I got hit by a small vehichle LOL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/health/nutrition/27best.html?_r=0
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

I did the C25K in the fall & I was lucky to have an experienced runner-friend go with me. She wouldn't let me look at the watch, and I remember how I dreaded the 20 minute run. Dreaded. But then the day came and I did it! Then the following week I went running with just my mp3 & I ran for 32 minutes !!! Sometimes we can surprise ourselves. And sometimes our limits are just mental.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!