Any runners out there? - Eager for Advice!

Options
My friend and I are planning to participate in our first 5k this september and are a little nervous!

I've been jogging on the treadmill, trying to keep a pace where i can converse while running, trying to keep my arms and shoulders loose (though i must not breathe properly because my neck muscles ache after a run as though they were lifting my ribs to breathe instead of using my diaphragm) and both warming up and cooling down. I also am an adamant stretcher. . .

but, for a first run, outside and not on a treadmill. .. um, i'm not even sure what to ask. i don't know what to expect. any anecdotes, advice, things you learned from your first run that you wish someone had told you?

greatly appreciate the help!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My first run... don't wear a shirt that's too tight. It will ride up on your belly and will be super uncomfortable! lol Best advice for running... try to land softly on your toes and roll back onto your heel so you're not just POUNDING the pavement (hate that term for running anyway), and also... the best breathing that works for me, is breathing in for 2 steps, then heavily breathing out for 2 steps. I tried in for 2, out for 1, but I had to drink more. Whichever works for you! Finding the perfect breathing pattern will make running easier. Also, don't start out at your fastest. Like you do on the treadmill, pick a pace you can keep for awhile. I find I'm really jogging but can run faster on the treadmill just 'cause I don't have wind factors, inclines, cars at stop signs, etc.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My thing.....just do it......and don't stop. Pick a distance, and finish it even if you are hopping at slower pace then walking. At this point in my life, I'm going for endurance not speed. I usually start my running season with 2 miles.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Invest in good running shoes. It is worth it to take the time to go to a store that specializes in running to be fitted for the best shoes for your feet and running style.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Theres a great on-line tool that you can use! Go to RunnersWorld.com and use their "SmartCoach" calculator, and it will help you build upto the 5K.....go gradually, get a good pair of runners shoes, and just "do it"! Also, another great site, is mapmyrun.com. Good luck! :)
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know how big the race is. But if your pretty slow, don't start in front. I did that my first race and lost momentum when I realized everyone was passing me. (all the fast people) LOL
    My second race I started in the middle and I even could pass some people which gave me more confidence even if it was just in my mind.
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    buy a pair of compression shorts. i know for me it helps keep the insides of my legs from rubbing together. Even when I don't wear them it's not a huge issue until a few hours later when my skin starts screaming at me. Also don't expect too much from yourself. A lot of people figure that running is running, but running outside and on a treadmill are two different animals. Concrete is a lot harder and less giving than a treadmill and there are constant changes such as up slope and down slope and cracks and potholes and wind that can be a real pain in the *kitten*. I guess it goes without saying but a treadmill's a controlled environment while outdoor running has a lot more factors that can make it more challenging.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Start running outside...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    ... try to land softly on your toes and roll back onto your heel so you're not just POUNDING the pavement (hate that term for running anyway),

HUH???? :huh: :noway:

As the cowardly lion once said-- "Imposserous."

Landing softly on your toes and rolling back on your heels will put you in traction in no time.

Try it the other way around-- softly on your heel, roll on to your toe. Also, hold your core still-- work on form.

Most importantly-- E-N-J-O-Y--
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Seems like you already have this part down but make sure to stretch before and after and even again later in the day. it'll help you feel a lot better and be better for you in the end. Also, make sure you get hydrated adequately afterwards. Lots of water! Maybe a protein shake to help you recover. I've also been hearing and reading a lot lately about the benefits of drinking 12-16 oz. of chocolate milk post run. The mix of protein and carbs is supposed to work wonders for recovery and prevent muscle breakdown.
  • lisacherrone
    lisacherrone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    good luck to you and your friend, i am also preparing for my first 5k in the fall. i have never been a runner, so this is all new to me. i started out running a week ago, on the track. i had a trainer run with me for the first time, and he helped me run my first mile ever! he and i are going to meet at least once a month to track my progress. he is going to take me outside to run next time, since our 5k is over a few hills. keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Don't land on your heel, that will start knee problems. Land in the middle of your foot, and roll forward through your toe. Set your TM to an incline of 1 and start running there. This will simulate wind resistance outdoors. Invest in good shoes (go to a sports store with a reputation for knowing their runners, and get properly fitted for shoes). Eat a light snack before running, and have a high protein snack ready to go when you're done. Make sure to drink 20 oz of water for every hour you run.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    ... try to land softly on your toes and roll back onto your heel so you're not just POUNDING the pavement (hate that term for running anyway),

Landing softly on your toes and rolling back on your heels will put you in traction in no time.

Try it the other way around-- softly on your heel, roll on to your toe. Also, hold your core still-- work on form.

Would you be running backwards if you landed on your toes first and then heel?:wink:
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

I do have good shoes and I even bought a 2nd pair (rather than wear the same ones for both running and errands).
    I look forward to the chocolate milk idea after a run btw - thanks for that suggestion!

It's great to get so much feedback from people who are where i want to be! (also, love the smart coach training off of runnersworld.com - thank you for that link!)

and, i guess, here goes nothin'!!
    :wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Would you be running backwards if you landed on your toes first and then heel?:wink:

That's very good exercise from what I understand-- :laugh:
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

That's very good exercise from what I understand-- :laugh:

I wouldn't focus too much on where you are landing on your feet. Just try to land softly. At the beginning I was thinking about how I was landing (I read you were suppose to land towards the front of your foot) I ending up w/ shin splints and very sore calves all the time. Come to find out if you are running fast you are suppose to land towards the front but if you are just jogging you do a heel stike. Now I just do what comes naturally and I feel so much better. No more shin and calf pain!!