Help I have trouble eating under 2000 cals a day!

Options

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, 900 calories for a meal is crazy. I only eat like on my once a week pizza night after burning at least 900 calories in the gym. I eat on average 2300 calories a day (trying to add some muscle) and I don't even over 700 calories for breakfast. When I'm cutting I eat around 1800 calories a day averaging 300 to 350 calories a meal. Carbs in morning are okay, but try to lower them through the day to have a higher fat and protein dinner. For breakfast I have a cup of fiber one cereal and a cup of skim milk with a banana and for dinner I usually have a large salad, with 2 tablespoons of balsamic viniagrette dressing and 4 oz of chicken breast and a serving of un-roasted un-salted almonds.

I ate 1,772cals in my breakfast today.

Are you calling me crazy, son?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Make small changes at first. No cheese on your burger. Have the 2 tacos but skip the potato for that meal. Or 1 taco and a potato. Substitute veggies for fries.
  • Jaewest
    Jaewest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes? I mean you really shouldn't be eating potatoes at all if you are trying to lose weight but sweet potatoes are better... They have more fiber in them and make you feel fuller longer.. You can put turkey on them some salsa and some unsweetened greek yoghurt for a large breakfast stuffed potato instead of two small tacos and a baked potato. I think it comes in right around 320 calories.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    2 soft tacos and a baked potato... for breakfast?
    i might manage 2 soft tacos OR a baked potato for dinner.
    this isn't an especially constructive post, i know.
    but maybe you need to adjust your definition of 'normal'?

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Lmao @ two tacos OR a baked potato i couldnt possibly manage both and either would be far too large for breakfast maybe for dinner...

lmaooooooooo sorry it made me LOL especially when most people have eggs, "toast, pancakes or waffles" a slice or two of bacon or sausage maybe both and lets not forget the condiments butter and syrup etc... breakfast is a big and fatty meal for a lot of people.... thats not an abnormal meal if you google breakfast you will likely get the above... so one baked potato for dinner is a large meal for you?
    yeah, i'd have one baked potato, with a little cheese and a salad garnish. that'd do it for me.

'normal' breakfast is a couple of slices of toast or a bowl of coco pops!
    the breakfasts you describe are rare treat breakfasts. sunday morning fry ups. birthday eating out breakfasts. shrove tuesday or xmas. if you eat that stuff every day your health will suffer. the fat will literally strangle your heart and the syrup will give you diabetes.

ok, so heart disease, obesity and diabetes are, sadly, becoming 'normal' in a few parts of the world. is that the normal you aspire to?

if you eat huge portions then your stomach stretches. the bag literally stretches to bigger than 'normal'. so will a poached egg on a slice of wholemeal give you that full up feeling? my stomach hasn't been stretched, so normal portion sizes feel filling enough. that's how a lot of weight loss ops work, by making the stomach smaller.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options

You say all posts are welcome yet you mock them.....most people who eat 900 calories for breakfast are fat.
    The point of the post wasnt for you to harp on the 900 cals for breakfast it was posted for a reason, which you seem to fail to realize... it's to understand that it is hard for one to eat "normally" and eat under 2000 cals... 2 soft tacos with or without the potato seems like a normal meal to me.... the tacos would have been over 700 even without the potato.... thats a lot of cals for not a lot of food. Its normal to eat two tacos with ground beef, taco shells and cheese... mine where the edited version. I in fact wanted tacos again but had a hamburger instead because tacos are far too calorie dense. My question is, is there anyone who eats like an average American/person goes to the grocery store gets food, prepares meal, and eats and is at 2000 cals and is losing... apparently thats not you, so you can go on your way now... i know 900 cals is a lot for breakfast which is why i posted it, but it is normal and this thread is for people who eat normal food in this case from the grocery store and prepare it, i cant help the calories...which is the point of the post, apparently you missed that. You seem to think its about giving me your opinion on what is a lot and what isnt a lot and who is fat and who isnt fat and is that your current picture because if people who are fat eat 900 cals... then.. *no comment*:indifferent:

:flowerforyou: its late and im on tom there is a lot of good post in here minus they few:indifferent: Sorry for all the cranky post..please everyone, who actually lost eating 2000 cals and eats normally give your advice, story, and so on...
  • glovepuppet
    Options

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Lmao @ two tacos OR a baked potato i couldnt possibly manage both and either would be far too large for breakfast maybe for dinner...

lmaooooooooo sorry it made me LOL especially when most people have eggs, "toast, pancakes or waffles" a slice or two of bacon or sausage maybe both and lets not forget the condiments butter and syrup etc... breakfast is a big and fatty meal for a lot of people.... thats not an abnormal meal if you google breakfast you will likely get the above... so one baked potato for dinner is a large meal for you?

You say all posts are welcome yet you mock them.....most people who eat 900 calories for breakfast are fat.

Funny about this - the OP has not responded to one single constructive post, but has only responded to scoff at people.
    maybe the OP just isn't ready to change and lose the weight yet.
    it takes a big shift of attitude. like a drunk admitting the addiction.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The point of the post wasnt for you to harp on the 900 cals for breakfast but for to understand that is hard for one to eat normally and eat under 2000 cals... 2 soft tacos with or without the potato seems like a normal meal to me.... the tacos would have been over 700 even without the potato.... thats a lot of cals for not a lot of food.... i know 900 cals is a lot for breakfast which is why i posted it

900 calories is 900 calories. It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat them.

If you find it easier to have a more calorically dense meal in the morning, go ahead. A lot of people prefer bigger meals at night before bed (like me) or at lunch for some reason - whatever works for you. Some people have a big breakfast, snacks/no lunch and a big dinner. Whatever.
  • shella_bella
    Options

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

That is not a NORMAL breakfast. MAYBE once a week as a Sunday brunch. Thinking that this is normal is the exact reason why America has an obesity problem.

You really need to change your outlook on food like others have said.

And don't ask for advice if you're just gonna turn it all down because you don't like what anyone has to say.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I would suggest that you stop using blind google searches for your meal planning, especially to find your "normal". I don't think I know anyone who eats like that everyday... not even my former roommate who was a short order cook. The idea of the bacon and eggs breakfast was in image to sell people on American prosperity.... come stateside, we're so rich we can eat meat for breakfast!!! Most people have never eaten like that, housewives typically don't vaccumme in heels and pearls, and no one is "normal".
  • IWantToo
    Options

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Funny about this - the OP has not responded to one single constructive post, but has only responded to scoff at people.
    maybe the OP just isn't ready to change and lose the weight yet.
    it takes a big shift of attitude. like a drunk admitting the addiction.
    Lmaooo because i was actually taking notice of the poeple who made sense and were giving sound advice.. the other ones i should have let ignorance be bliss instead of trying to bring it to the light...

There is a lot of sound advice in this thread, and it is truly appreciated.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat 2000 calories a day, and I started out at 275 pounds. I cook all of my food homemade. I have lost 36 pounds, and I'm continuing to lose still. It is possible to have meals that are around 500 cals a meal, and then another 500 cals for snacks. I eat "normal" food, I don't skimp, because I am a total B if I am hungry. If I'm really hungry in the morning, I might eat oatmeal, toast with peanut butter, AND cereal. Still under 500 cals. Usually just eat the oatmeal and toast though, and I skip out on butter, which saves cals. Instead of that homemade hamburger with fries, why can't you skip the fries and add a cup of veggies? You will start feeling better as you add veggies into your diet. You can do it, sometimes I go over but I just keep on logging my food, and as long as I am eating the amount that mfp has set for me, I lose! I even lose when I eat back my exercise calories! Take snacks with you to work! Like bananas, or salads (just watch out for adding high calorie items like cheese). You can do this, it just takes some time to research foods and learn! Good luck.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options

The point of the post wasnt for you to harp on the 900 cals for breakfast it was posted for a reason, which you seem to fail to realize... it's to understand that it is hard for one to eat "normally" and eat under 2000 cals... 2 soft tacos with or without the potato seems like a normal meal to me.... the tacos would have been over 700 even without the potato.... thats a lot of cals for not a lot of food. Its normal to eat two tacos with ground beef, taco shells and cheese... mine where the edited version. I in fact wanted tacos again but had a hamburger instead because tacos are far too calorie dense. My question is, is there anyone who eats like an average American/person goes to the grocery store gets food, prepares meal, and eats and is at 2000 cals and is losing... apparently thats not you, so you can go on your way now... i know 900 cals is a lot for breakfast which is why i posted it, but it is normal and this thread is for people who eat normal food in this case from the grocery store and prepare it, i cant help the calories...which is the point of the post, apparently you missed that. You seem to think its about giving me your opinion on what is a lot and what isnt a lot and who is fat and who isnt fat and is that your current picture because if people who are fat eat 900 cals... then.. *no comment*:indifferent:

:flowerforyou: its late and im on tom there is a lot of good post in here minus they few:indifferent: Sorry for all the cranky post..please everyone, who actually lost eating 2000 cals and eats normally give your advice, story, and so on...

That photo is about 6 months old. Yep, I have weight to lose. That's why I use this website. To be accountable to myself about what I am putting into my body. I do go to the grocery store and prepare meals. And go to the gym and burn an average of 750-1000 calories a day. 7 days a week. Because I want to change. Sometimes it sucks but that's how it has to be if I want to be around to see my daughters grow up and make lives for themselves. If I want to live to and past retirement age and enjoy that time. The "normal" 2000 calorie mark is meant for people who are fit and healthy. I am not trying to be hypercritical. I am trying to understand where you get your definition of "normal" from.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Lmaooo because i was actually taking notice of the poeple who made sense and were giving sound advice.. the other ones i should have let ignorance be bliss instead of trying to bring it to the light...

There is a lot of sound advice in this thread, and it is truly appreciated.
    you're only going to appreciate posters who tell you what you want to hear. that's fine, but your health won't change while you continue looking for justifications for not changing your lifestyle.

you may think i'm an ignorant idiot... meh, but i'm a healthy ignorant idiot, at a healthy weight, with a healthy heart, good stamina, a good digestive health. being ignorant my way ain't so bad really!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I should be sleeping, but here I am...

potatos are empty calories IMO... don't get me wrong, I love potatos... but I had no idea how many calories were in such a tiny bit of veggie.

When you wake up... before you eat breakfast... down a large glass of water and have a banana. Then a little bit later (maybe ten twenty minutes) have a bowl of cereal... it's silly, but I love mini-wheat centres... they have the sugary coating and the fruity filling, but really aren't insane in terms of calories.

Note, though, a serving is twelve mini wheats for 200 cals. Count em out. Have two bowls if you want - still only 400 cals, plus 100 cals for the banana.

Try to have one heavy meal a day, and then smaller healthier snacks.

I have set my diary to have breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper, evening snack.

Focus on whole grains - I find they fill you more than refined ones, and in my opinion, the nuttiness and chewy is satisfyinig.
    Try to focus on protein rich food - greek yogurt, almonds, cottage cheese.

Veggies like celery, cucumber, snap peas... pretty filling and low in cals

Try to limit the breads and carbs to one meal, or a small component of two meals.

And finally, I'll say something that has stuck with me...
    Get rich quick, get poor quick
    Build your wealth and you'll work to keep it.

By that I mean... If you starve yourself to lose weight rapidly, you'll blow those losses on binges because you are hungry and unhappy. If you go for a slower loss, and ease yourself into a new lifestyle, then yes it may take longer, but you're likely to stick with it.

Do you have any idea what kind of calorie consumption you had prior to deciding to diet? If you were consuming 5000 cals a day, then 2000 will freak you right out! So while 4000 cals a day may be excessive to many, then it's a slow change that could start you on the path... get used to 4000, and move to 3000, etc.

NOW PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M SAYING YOU'RE EATING 5000 cals a day - I picked a random crazy number to illustrate a point!
    And keep up your exercise.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Try this on for size:
    An omelet containing
    two whole eggs
    two egg whites
    2 oz (a nice big chunk) of any cheese, like mozzarella
    tomatoes
    kale or spinach
    half a bell pepper
    salt, pepper, dill, whatever
    plus a giant mug of coffee with skim milk

comes out to less than 400 calories.

or a huge bowl containing greek yogurt 6oz, berries, big handful or two of almonds and, hell throw in some m & ms if you want to be decadent also comes in at around 350 or so.

above, oatmeal, berries, almonds and 2 tbs of crunch peanut butter also comes in under 400.

At starbucks their wraps (chicken sausange and spinach feta) are yum, and only about 220 cals. That and a grande skim latte adds only about 150.

Amy's Breakfast Burritos have only 270 cals. One of those with a bit of mozz cheese on top and an apple and coffee still comes in around 400.

eggs really are the best thing though. two hard boiled or poached with some melted cheese and an apple or berries is like a 350 calorie breakfast.

For lunch an enormous chef's salad containing a ton of sliced turkey, cheese, olives, lettuce or kale, tomatoes, peppers, pickles and some olive oil spray is pretty low too.

The trick is to eat the foods themselves (don't mind the fat or whatever) without the sauces or breads you find in things like tacos.

The best habit of all to learn is to find foods that you can eat lots and lots of without it being lots of calories. I'm the same way, I can't even do the "eat half the sandwich" thing. So I just don't eat sandwiches.

Any veggie, you can eat tons of and it really doesn't add up enough to matter, broccoli, for example, is great. just eat the florets out a big ziploc bag like chips, it turns out it's a pretty good snack, you never have to worry about eating too much. Apples are another good one. They have somewhat more calories but they really fill you up. Lean meats like fish, chicken, turkey are great, you can eat quite a bit. Cheese and nuts have a lot of fat and calories but they really fill you up and are good for you. Air popped popcorn with nothing on it (a little butter flavored cooking spray , salt, pepper, herbs etcare good) is a great choice, a whole giant bowl is under 200 cals.

Good to have on hand are things like Arctic Zero "ice cream", the whole pint is just 150 calories, and Shirataki noodles, for when you need to binge on something and don't want to do any damage. They're not especially nutritious but will work for a need to stuff your face.

It takes a while to get used to but it works out well, if you stuff yourself with the good stuff you really don't feel the least bit deprived, in fact you feel great. And the weight just goes away. Of course it's really important to have a treat, whatever you like, now and then, no matter how many calories. That fits into the picture just fine. It's just your main daily habits that are important.
  • BeanDelphiki
    Options

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Your sense of "normalcy" here is really, REALLY distorted.

I recently joined this site. Not for weight loss so much (although a few pounds would be nice, I don't "need" to, and don't overly care), but because I eat TERRIBLY, I know it, and I want to use the tools here to help keep accountability for my nutrition. (Having a calorie limit helps force me to eat more veggies, for example, which is one thing I don't see you mentioning eating. OF COURSE you will have trouble staying under your limit if you are eating primarily calorie-dense foods and no veggies!) So basically, I could be one of the coworkers you watch eating junk all day.

I still wouldn't eat anything like 900 calories for breakfast. I still couldn't manage both tacos AND a baked potato...no way.

I'm not going to claim I eat really healthy breakfasts, but a few things that have been "normal" breakfasts for me for the past several months (BEFORE joining MFP and just eating whatever I felt like):

-Scrambled eggs and toast. This is my MOST fatty breakfast, which I cook when I wake up absolutely starving. It's 3 large eggs, scrambled in a kinda French way with heavy cream and butter, over a slice of homemade white bread. It's more than a little over the top, it clocks in at a good 600 calories (maybe more - I measure the rest, but I could be underestimating the bread), and I generally can barely finish it. I haven't had this meal since my first day on MFP because it eats up so many calories, and I will have to cut it down to fit it in under my limit. It's HUGE. I can't think of anything else I've eaten in the past for breakfast that comes close to this amount of food.

-A couple of baked eggs with a drizzle of cream (yes, okay, I have a weakness for cream and eggs, I know) and toast - calories, 260. Much closer to a standard breakfast for me.

-Serving of oatmeal with fruit - 255 calories.

-Bagel and cream cheese - 350.

I would NOT have pancakes or waffles or bacon or sausage with ANY of the above, excepting maaaybe the bagel. I'd be seriously ill.

I'm wincing at your description of eating baked potatoes and hamburgers on the same day...although I admit I have eaten like that in the past. When I do, I've never seen my calories below 2500 a day, generally 2500-3000 a day on a diet like that. If this is how you eat on a regular basis, I think the reason you are not losing is that you've never come close to being consistently under a reasonable calorie goal.

You need to accept that 900 calories for a meal is too much food. Seriously. Where are your veggies? Those will help you feel full on little calories.
  • FutureMrsWarby
    FutureMrsWarby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    lol, wow I just came back to this thread, and I see she's now insinuating that people posting on here are fat?

She hasn't responded to a single post of mine, and I'll admit I have a bit of an attitude-but only because she's being pretty childish about her responses.

Clearly she was only here to get answers she liked and not educational ones that give her the ugly truth.
  • IWantToo
    Options

I would suggest that you stop using blind google searches for your meal planning, especially to find your "normal". I don't think I know anyone who eats like that everyday... not even my former roommate who was a short order cook. The idea of the bacon and eggs breakfast was in image to sell people on American prosperity.... come stateside, we're so rich we can eat meat for breakfast!!! Most people have never eaten like that, housewives typically don't vaccumme in heels and pearls, and no one is "normal".

I would suggest that you think before you post and not make up some far fetched nonsensical jabber simply to post. Really I purposly said it wasn't abnormal hoping someone just like you wouldnt be dense enough to think people eat that everyday and yet youve posted.... its the internet... i mean really what can i expect, not much apparently did you say dont google for my meal planning wtf!! didnt i say i ate tacos for breakfast lmaooooo... so the idea that you thought it was alright to even post that is just mind blowing it makes absolutely zero sense... pearls and housewives lmaooooo wow just wow, youve obviously got some type of very very abnormal picture of what people actually eat, its hilarious that you are in such desperate emphasis on the desperate need to tell me about this fantasy "world" where people dont eat breakfast and vaccum when you have ZERO clue what in reality people are eating, you do realize that its compact now, breakfast of sausage bacon bread syrup is very real, you can get it complete and frozen in a meal, compacted and precooked in a bread pouch or pocket, even on a stick(corn dog style) lets not forget what America's famous for the drive thru... mcgriddle anyone or waffle sausage sandwich, the list goes on and that was the point it is not abnormal food and its everywhere and available to everyone and no one has a fantasy that a woman in pearls is cooking it,.. lets not be foolish...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Drink more water it really helps a lot
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at other MFPers' food diaries to see what MFPers' 'normal' food looks like.

I struggle to get my cals down under 2000. MFP tells me to aim for 1580. I only get close to breaking even on days when I exercise, but by observing my MFP friends' habits I am slowly making the changes needed to get my cal count down.

Good luck.