how long did it take before you liked to go running...

Options

Replies

• daydream_believer
    Options
    i still hate running...
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    at 4am, when i have the streets to myself, in pace with with the music.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Running gives me stomach problems, so it's really like 1/20 runs I enjoy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It took about 2 seconds when I hit the trail for the first time. :heart:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No one likes running, even marathon runners hate running. Running sucks......That said its very addictive, kinda like heroin. Have FUN!

:noway:
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a love-hate relationship with it. I don't like it - it's jiggly, hard on the knees and lower back, makes it hard to breathe and so on. BUT - the fact that, at this stage in my lifestyle change - I can get ~6min of running in 15min on the treadmill (walking the rest) is something I still can't quite believe. Will I learn to love it? I don't know. Probably not, unless I can find a decent beach to run along. But I persevere because I want this to be a real change, and if I make excuses now I'll just make more and more until I stop entirely.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I started loving it when I was cleared to go do it by my obgyn. And honestly, if the weather wasn't such poop, I think i would be enjoying it more (as of right now I am having to run indoors on a track and hate it). I refuse to run on a treadmill (sorry to those who do, but its too boring and tend to find that I want outdoors) so the track it is until I run beside the river again.

Why did you have to get clearance by your obgyn?

Because I had to wait until I was 6 weeks post partum before I could start any exercise regimen. I have a 13 month old :bigsmile:
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I've been running off and on for about 10 years.. I tend to stop when it's hot and start back up in the fall. The first mile for me always sucks.. then I get into a groove.. or not... but I feel AMAZING after. That's what drives me. And it's a pure human sport, the most basic movement. I get cranky if I can't run.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened for me yet. Pretty sure once the race I'm training for is over, I'm giving up running for good. Yeah, it's a useful skill to have. But that doesn't make up for the suckage.
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    I've liked it since I was able to run a mile without stopping. Perhaps this is because I could never run a mile, even in high school, but the first time I got there - damn. It felt great, and I've loved it ever since.

That said, I'd still rather have some weights to lift and never have to do cardio ever again, but such is life! *shrug*
  • 007sweetpea
    007sweetpea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always enjoyed running but swimming is another story. I really hate it to the point where I don't even bother with it any more. I think you should just find your fix and stick to it
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Never! I do love the feeling after I've been though - it keeps me going back for more :-)

^^^ this
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    it took until i got a better phone and the zombies run! app :D
  • IvanDimitrov
    Options
    For a man it seems running becomes easier and somewhat enjoyable under 14-15% body fat .
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 12 minutes to find my groove.

But I've been running my whole life.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    One year in, this is what I have learned for me...
    Zombies!Run makes it tolerable. Outside is less hellish than the dreadmill. I have never had a high from running. It burns more calories per minute than any other cardio I could do so is an efficient route to a calorie deficit. I like the idea of being able to out-pace and/or out-distance an attacker were I ever unlucky enough to need to do so.

If I could maintain the CV benefits of cardio with just heavy lifting, I'd never do cardio again.

All that said, however, I did clock my fastest-ever 5k time on Wednesday, and if I can maintain that pace, all my runs take less time, which makes me happier. I might finally feel like I'm running instead of jogging, which will help the mental state.
  • Sweetbelle159
    Sweetbelle159 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Most people who hate running see it as just exercise and I don't blame them for feeling that way because there are other things you can do for exercise.

For me it's the therapeutic benefits. You can find out about yourself while running. You can go through an emotional cleansing while running. It's very powerful to me.

This exactly
  • yellowsun101
    yellowsun101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yesterday ran 5km and it didn't hurt its taken 8months, stick with it
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I never Ever thought I'd enjoy running, and when I first started I totally had that fear of looking like the fat girl huffing and puffing and all that, which was a big deterrent.. The first time out, (after I had lost 20 pounds and spent time running in place in my living room) I barely made it 1/4 mile before I was dying.. Little by little I just tried to go a bit more and the first time I ran a whole mile I was hooked. Last year I was training for my first full marathon and had to drop out due to injury.. Broke my heart.. Fortunately I'm 5 weeks into recovery and am so grateful for every second!

Def get off the treadmill! So so much more enjoyable outside.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get off the belt and on the street...

Absolutely - running on the treadmill is torture.

Running to get somewhere or see new stuff or just be in nature - that's the good stuff.

iPod Shuffle is a must for me.

I like to map out new courses using Google Maps.

This. Except the ipod shuffle. I listened to music when I started running to keep me going...but now I much prefer listening the sounds of nature and I feel safer without my earbuds in because I run on streets and I need to hear what is going on around me. I've only been running for a little over a year, but I still can't stand the dreadmill. It's torture and only used when necessary.