Pre-Workout Snack?

Options
What is a good snack to eat before a hard workout? I have my zumba class tonight and I've noticed that sometimes I feel weak in the middle of the class and am wondering if it's because I don't eat anything before I go?? Any ideas?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    A banana! Or try some nuts. When I was doing my strength training at the gym, it would take me about an hour so I would make sure to eat a vegetable with some kind of dip or a fiber bar and that gave me enough energy...so something else to consider.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat protein power bars! They are yummy and very high in protein. I used to have the same issue until I started eating them. I eat the Eas Myoplex ones because they have the best protein/calorie ratio!
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    a good rule of thumb is to try and make sure you eat something 2 hours or less before a workout. It'll make your body burn the energy from the snack and then shift into fat buring mode. Not eating beforehand will cause your body to break down muscle and save your fat reserves, making your work out not as effective. At least that's my understanding of it. I try to stick to fruit and some form of protein. Often on work out days i'll save half of my turkey sandwich from lunch and eat that, sometimes just the turkey and not the bread, around 4-4:30 with a banana and make it to the gym around 5:30 - 6ish. I find it helps keep me from hitting that wall before on the drive over or during my work out.
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    I would deff do a banana or a yogurt you dont want to work out on a semi full stomach it will cause cramping. Sometimes a full banana is too much and i eat half of it an when im done with my work out i have the other half :flowerforyou:
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The following all work pretty well for me:

Banana
    Celery with PB
    Granola Bar
    Can of V-8 juice

All will give you energy and not a lot of calories.

I hope this helps! Have a good workout.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I heard a blurb on news radio the other morning that researchers found that it's better to work out on an empty stomach because it forces you to burn through you carbohydrate stores quicker and have to use fat for energy sources to finish the workout.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love love love the Kashi TLC peanut peanut butter bars - 140 cals - 4g fiber.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    half banana/ or whole depending on how long i plan to work out... w/ a tsp of crunchy pb =]
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I heard a blurb on news radio the other morning that researchers found that it's better to work out on an empty stomach because it forces you to burn through you carbohydrate stores quicker and have to use fat for energy sources to finish the workout.

That makes sense too. Honestly everyone's body is different so it wouldn't surprise me if both ways of going about it work. In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter just so long as your going to the gym and giving 100% and not half assing it.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    ok this is true!!!

BUT the reason i hate why ppl strongly believe this and just follow it blindly is .. ur not exactly listening to ur body.

i mean how well or how long are u gonna work out on an empty stomach completely?!?!

IMO, listen to ur body! have a little something...
    like id die if i tried to run my 3 to 5 miles on an empty stomach lol ive done it! dont get me wrong... but i didnt feel GREAT doing it.
    do what feels right for u.
    a banana is 72 calories... but its enough to let me burn my 580 calories in the hour i spend on the treadmill.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks everybody... those are some great ideas! =)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    ok this is true!!!

BUT the reason i hate why ppl strongly believe this and just follow it blindly is .. ur not exactly listening to ur body.

i mean how well or how long are u gonna work out on an empty stomach completely?!?!

IMO, listen to ur body! have a little something...
    like id die if i tried to run my 3 to 5 miles on an empty stomach lol ive done it! dont get me wrong... but i didnt feel GREAT doing it.
    do what feels right for u.
    a banana is 72 calories... but its enough to let me burn my 580 calories in the hour i spend on the treadmill.

Oh I totally agree with you. I feel like *kitten* if I don't have a little something.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I was running late on my way to the gym for my Zumba class tonight so I grabbed one of my protein shakes, I think it did the trick. It wasn't a lot of food on my stomach while working out, but I had energy for the whole class. Yay! :drinker:
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can't do cardio on an empty stomach, otherwise I'll start getting whoozey. I usually just grab a string cheese stick or some kind of protein about 30 minutes before working out and that does the trick.