Healthy meal and snack ideas?

Options
I'm eating the same stuff pretty much almost everyday and I'm getting bored... So before I go and do something stupid like go eat something I'm not supposed to, I thought that I would come on here and see what everybody else is eating. I pretty much eat the basic stuff like some fruit(especially grapes) ,Salad, Carrots,Peanut butter, Wheat crackers,shakes, etc... Please give me some snack and meal ideas/recipes, I would greatly appreciate it :) I'm open to anything, meat or no meat, dairy or no dairy I just need some variety lol. Low calories please

Replies

• NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day, with 2 snacks in between. Here are my in between snacks that I like:

1. Apple, cored & sliced, with 2 Tbs. natural peanutbutter; a low-fat cheese stick
    2. Banana dipped in either crushed peanuts, or dry roasted sunflower seeds; a pepper jack cheese stick
    3. Baked tortilla chips (I like Tostitos Scoops), sprinkle with a fingerful of shredded cheddar on each chip, nuke for about 15 seconds.
    4. Dry cereal (I like the chocolate mini wheats), and a glass of milk to wash it down.
    5. Veggies & ranch dressing. You can add protein by making your own dressing - mix plain greek yogurt, light sr. cream, and ranch dressing mix.

I like hot tea during the winter (iced tea in the summer) Lavendar black tea is my favorite. I sweeten with stevia, and it counts as a water. But it adds some flavor to my day. :)
  • NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day, with 2 snacks in between. Here are my in between snacks that I like:

1. Apple, cored & sliced, with 2 Tbs. natural peanutbutter; a low-fat cheese stick
    2. Banana dipped in either crushed peanuts, or dry roasted sunflower seeds; a pepper jack cheese stick
    3. Baked tortilla chips (I like Tostitos Scoops), sprinkle with a fingerful of shredded cheddar on each chip, nuke for about 15 seconds.
    4. Dry cereal (I like the chocolate mini wheats), and a glass of milk to wash it down.
    5. Veggies & ranch dressing. You can add protein by making your own dressing - mix plain greek yogurt, light sr. cream, and ranch dressing mix.

I like hot tea during the winter (iced tea in the summer) Lavendar black tea is my favorite. I sweeten with stevia, and it counts as a water. But it adds some flavor to my day. :)
  • Christiethorn1
    Christiethorn1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorites are hummus and carrots, low fat string cheese, raw sugar snap peas, air popped popcorn with fake butter spray and kernel seasonings (white cheddar is my fav)
  • Jreynolds49
    Jreynolds49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the Progesso Soup line. I can have the entire can of Chicken and Rice for only 200 calories which is way more filling than most snacks. I just had a bowl in between my meals. Have you ever checked out Weight Watchers on line receipe's? You do not need to be a member to print out the receipes, they are great. Last night I made Chicken and black bean enchilada casserole. I used the receipe builder on myfitnesspal to figure out the calories instead of the points. I find that when having a snack if I eat a protein with fruit it sticks to your ribs a lot longer. Laughing cow spreadable cheese on celery or wheat crackers awesome, peanut butter on celery and a few raisins another favorite. When I am in the munching mood which is scary I like microwave popcorn light of course.
    Good luck keep up the good work you are worth it.
    Jenny R
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question. All of the suggestions have helped me. I like variety so this helps a lot.
  • tldillard3
    tldillard3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the Progesso Soup line. I can have the entire can of Chicken and Rice for only 200 calories which is way more filling than most snacks. I just had a bowl in between my meals. Have you ever checked out Weight Watchers on line receipe's? You do not need to be a member to print out the receipes, they are great. Last night I made Chicken and black bean enchilada casserole. I used the receipe builder on myfitnesspal to figure out the calories instead of the points. I find that when having a snack if I eat a protein with fruit it sticks to your ribs a lot longer. Laughing cow spreadable cheese on celery or wheat crackers awesome, peanut butter on celery and a few raisins another favorite. When I am in the munching mood which is scary I like microwave popcorn light of course.
    Jenny R

Progresso has light soups that are actually much less calories. I just had one at break that was 120 calories for the whole can.
  • scout53
    scout53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using recipes from eatingwell.com. Not all very low in calories, so you have to pick and choose.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Stir fry--frozen stir fry veggies, chicken breast, and low sodium soy sauce...served over brown rice.

WW pasta with lean ground turkey or chicken, tomato sauce with herbs, and chopped mushrooms.

Homemade chili--beans/onion/peppers/meat/veggies/tomatoes/spices (slow cooker)

Breakfast for dinner ---eggs, turkey bacon, ww toast OR oatmeal with milk, nuts, and fruit OR a protein smoothie with nuts
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Joseph's flax and oat bran lavash bread ( available in deli at Walmart), with mesquite turkey deli meat and a slice of provolone. Put it together and brown it in a dry skillet and brown on both sides. I eat it with half a package of Green Giant broccoli and cheese sauce and a sliced roma tomato. The whole meal has less than 300 calories and is very filling.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can also do low cal low fat pizza with whole wheat pita bread for the crust and use canadian bacon or turkey pepperoni and low fat cheese.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Maple Roasted Acorn Squash
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/maple-roasted-acorn-squash

Maple Glazed Root Vegetables
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/maple-glazed-root-vegetables

I made these and liked 'em.
  • k7lit
    k7lit Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.sparkrecipes.com

has a great database of recipes most if not all are tweaked in some way or another to reduce calories, fat, sodium etc

There are also great comment threads attached to most recipes with further suggestions and or helpful advice on healthy eating
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love dried fruit with no added sugar, such as unsulphured/organic apricots and pitted dates! I also eat a lot of fat free greek yogurt with fruit and love peanut butter and apple! My food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com - might also give you some suggestions :)

Hope this helps!
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    You can eat many different things that are all natural. It's called eating clean. Try this...

Peanut Butter Apple Bagel - 2 ingredients

All Natural Peanut Butter

Granny Smith Apple

Just like your eating a bagel! : ) Check out my free blog, has loads of free meals on there that are simply easy to make
    http://www.isefitness.com/health-news/healthy-snacks-drinks-eating-clean/peanut-butter-apple-bagel
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love the Progesso Soup line. I can have the entire can of Chicken and Rice for only 200 calories which is way more filling than most snacks. I just had a bowl in between my meals.
    Jenny R

Progresso has light soups that are actually much less calories. I just had one at break that was 120 calories for the whole can.

Just be careful with the Progresso Soup on a regular basis. I was loving it every day, until I checked out my daily Sodium intake... OMG! Makes me blow up like a puffer-fish! :embarassed:
  • harmonymkr
    harmonymkr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to be really careful with salt and the soup has a surprising amount!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    4 sites that I use very often are ...hungrygirl.com .......emilybites.com ......skinnytaste.com.....and canyoustayfordinner.com
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just tried this new recipe out yesterday and it was AWESOME! Baked zucchini chips. Slice very thin, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper(less than you think...they shrink A LOT and can be over seasoned very easily) bake on 225 for 45 min to an hour(depending on how thin you slice them). They come out brown and as crispy as a potato chip!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    multi grain crackers with laughing cow light creamy swiss cheese chese is only 35 calories per wedge...You have to read the labels but there are some really good crackers to choose from low in calories...I also use the laughing cow on baked potatoes, bagels, and almost anything you would normally put butter on...delicious as well as diet friendly