Meatless and muscles

Options

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a vegan powerlifter, so it can absoltely be done. There are plenty of good, lean vegetable sources of protein. You need protein to build muscle, but there is no reason it must be animal protein. I've been seeing steady gains in muscle size and mass with my new lifting program over the last month, and I haven't eaten meat in seven years.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    No, it is a waste of time for vegetarians to lift. It is also impossible for vegetarians to get a decent amount of protein without shakes,

^^ ummm...not true...I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years and have plenty of muscle definition. I eat 130-175g of protein a day and only 20g of that comes from a protein shake. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas. You will also want to make sure to consume enough iron too (blackstrap moleasses, snap peas, oatmeal, quinoa, kale, cream of wheat, fortified breads & Gardein faux meats are all good sources).

I am a vegetarian - have been for 25 years. Should have used the sarcasm font.

Wouldn't have helped
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I am a vegetarian - have been for 25 years. I should have used the sarcasm font. But thank you for the thoughtfulness.
    [/quote]

ha! I've had a long morning and I haven't had lunch yet...my sarcasm meter is running low :)
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    No, it is a waste of time for vegetarians to lift. It is also impossible for vegetarians to get a decent amount of protein without shakes,

I'd swear you were joking but the lack of any winky face at the end of your comment gives me pause.

I completely disagree with the assessment of meat being unhealthy (see the latest studies from the UK involving the tracking of meat eaters, processed meat eaters, and vegetarians). Processed meat eaters were the only group showing elevated risks for cancers and heart disease. Previous studies comparing meat eaters (non processed) to vegetarians neglected to factor in lifestyle. Meat eaters in general tend to live less healthier lifestyles than their vegetarian counterparts.

Anyways.... vegetarians can most definitely build serious muscle. It's easier if you still consume diary however as whey protein is the most bio-available protein there is. This just means your body is able to better utilize whey protein for muscle building than other proteins, particularly plant proteins.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/proteins/incomplete-vs-complete-proteins.html
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    I'm sorry did you say something?:flowerforyou:
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good sort of protein are Almonds - Avacados - black beans - brocooli - Oatmeal - peanut butter - quinoa

Protein powders can help as well

Check out the guy from Engine 2 - he's RIPPED & he's a total vegan
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    "can vegetarians" have a muscular build?

Yes.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bios
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'd swear you were joking but the lack of any winky face at the end of your comment gives me pause.

I completely disagree with the assessment of meat being unhealthy (see the latest studies from the UK involving the tracking of meat eaters, processed meat eaters, and vegetarians). Processed meat eaters were the only group showing elevated risks for cancers and heart disease. Previous studies comparing meat eaters (non processed) to vegetarians neglected to factor in lifestyle. Meat eaters in general tend to live less healthy lifestyles than their vegetarian counterparts.

Anyways.... vegetarians can most definitely build serious muscle. It's easier if you still consume diary however as whey protein is the most bio-available protein there is. This just meaning your body is able to better utilize whey protein for muscle building than other proteins, particularly plant proteins.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/proteins/incomplete-vs-complete-proteins.html

I *really* need that sarcasm font...see the posts just below mine.

<---vegetarian for 25 years.

I also agree with you that there is anything inherently healthier or unhealthier about a diet that contains meat.

However, you were very polite about my ridiculous statement :flowerforyou:
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    If you're just going for definition, it depends on your natural body composition. Are you naturally muscular? Then yes, you should be able to get defined eating little protein. But if you aren't muscular you are going to need to eat protein and calorie surplus to gain muscle.

I am a vegetarian but I have a very high lean body weight and am naturally muscular. I do eat about 100 grams of protein/day to retain the muscle I have while trying to lose fat.
    Thank you so much to everyone for all of your kind responses. The reason I am trying to change my diet is because when I eat chicken, I feel sleepy and a bit flu-like. I started not eating any meat a few days and was loaded with energy, so I just thought I should eat to make me feel good. I don't like the way chicken makes me feel. I am not a beef eater anyway, just bc I don't really like it. I am still reading everyone's responses, but got to this one and had to comment. I AM naturally muscular, I have a lot of lean muscle mass to the point my former personal trainer said he had never seen anyone like me before. So I want to know what YOU (this poster here) eats (protein wise) to get your 100g of protein. This sounds ideal.

Also I watched a show by Dr. Joel Furhman talking about the ideal diet for health being all fruits and veggies with seeds. He said chicken and eggs are on the very bottom of the list (equiviant in heatlh to white bread). . .I don't know, but it has me thinking. He said beef is a definite no-no (negative on the scale). When I cleanse, I feel sooo good. When I eat just fruits and veggies, I feel happy and energetic. Something is up with me or with this. I am just aiming for that feeling. It's a good one.

P.S. I do eat meat which is humanely raised, and without hormones thinking that would make a difference but it doesn't. Why is meat making me want to take a nap?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Fish?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you're just going for definition, it depends on your natural body composition. Are you naturally muscular? Then yes, you should be able to get defined eating little protein. But if you aren't muscular you are going to need to eat protein and calorie surplus to gain muscle.

I am a vegetarian but I have a very high lean body weight and am naturally muscular. I do eat about 100 grams of protein/day to retain the muscle I have while trying to lose fat.
    Thank you so much to everyone for all of your kind responses. The reason I am trying to change my diet is because when I eat chicken, I feel sleepy and a bit flu-like. I started not eating any meat a few days and was loaded with energy, so I just thought I should eat to make me feel good. I don't like the way chicken makes me feel. I am not a beef eater anyway, just bc I don't really like it. I am still reading everyone's responses, but got to this one and had to comment. I AM naturally muscular, I have a lot of lean muscle mass to the point my former personal trainer said he had never seen anyone like me before. So I want to know what YOU (this poster here) eats (protein wise) to get your 100g of protein. This sounds ideal.

Also I watched a show by Dr. Joel Furhman talking about the ideal diet for health being all fruits and veggies with seeds. He said chicken and eggs are on the very bottom of the list (equiviant in heatlh to white bread). . .I don't know, but it has me thinking. He said beef is a definite no-no (negative on the scale). When I cleanse, I feel sooo good. When I eat just fruits and veggies, I feel happy and energetic. Something is up with me or with this. I am just aiming for that feeling. It's a good one.

P.S. I do eat meat which is humanely raised, and without hormones thinking that would make a difference but it doesn't. Why is meat making me want to take a nap?

I wouldn't listen to that guy. Chicken and eggs are equivalent in health to white bread? Not a chance. Chicken is a great lean protein and eggs are a great source of protein and nutrients as well. Beef is something you shouldn't consume? Beef can be part of a healthy diet. Dr. Furhman sounds like a complete idiot and a joke to me. You might want to look for other sources to get nutrition advice. Chicken, eggs, beef, pork, etc etc can all be part of a healthy diet.

Cleansing is more mental than anything. Your body doesn't need to be cleansed and you really aren't doing anything but cutting out nutrients by cleansing.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I'm not sure but I think most meat is high in tryptophan, which makes people sleepy.

I should clarify that I am a pescatarian, so I sometimes eat fish and that helps a ton with protein intake. But I do try to eat strictly vegetarian most days and still reach my protein goal.

Breakfast is usually egg whites. I buy eggs in bulk and will eat 3-5 whites at a time. It's high in protein and low in calories. I also make stews and soups with lots of beans (Lentils are the best, so high in protein it's crazy). I also make dishes like stirfry with tofu or tempeh. These are both soy products that are high in protein. And if you are willing you can eat fish or chicken to boost your protein too. I usually snack on hard boiled egg whites, greek yogurt, or cheese. You can also drink skim milk or soymilk for additional protein. I do have protein shakes too, usually after I work out. Depending on the protein powder you use, one shake could be half of a days worth of protein.

At first it can be tough but once you make protein your dietary priority it becomes automatic and easy.

ETA: You can add me if you like to get an idea of my food diary.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I almost went ape *kitten* on this, then I saw it was sarah ! You GOT me!

Yes, Vegetarians can hit those macros. I use protein shakes, tempeh, tofu, cliff builder bars, eggs, cheese, sprouted tofu, etc. to hit those macros....

I also think that the guy who said that it's only about bf% was a little off. I was super skinny a year ago and didn't look at all how I want to look. I want more muscle definition.

This picture explains what I"m trying to say:

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. Look at vegan and vegetarian body builders for inspiration. My lifting partner is vegetarian and she SMASHES it in the weight room every time.

I would suggest the usual gram of protein per lb of LBM. It takes a little bit more planning. But as you're not actually vegetarian and are willing to eat things like chicken, eggs, etc, it should be pretty smooth going. A quality protein powder can fill in the gaps.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :smooched:
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I completely disagree with the assessment of meat being unhealthy (see the latest studies from the UK involving the tracking of meat eaters, processed meat eaters, and vegetarians). Processed meat eaters were the only group showing elevated risks for cancers and heart disease. Previous studies comparing meat eaters (non processed) to vegetarians neglected to factor in lifestyle. Meat eaters in general tend to live less healthier lifestyles than their vegetarian counterparts.

Anyways.... vegetarians can most definitely build serious muscle. It's easier if you still consume diary however as whey protein is the most bio-available protein there is. This just means your body is able to better utilize whey protein for muscle building than other proteins, particularly plant proteins.

RE your comment about lifestyle... do research on the Adventist Study done at Loma Linda University in CA. You will find that this cohort study took people who had very similar lifestyles, they weren't smokers, didn't drink alcohol, and were generally active, happy people, and separated them by their diet. The closer they were to Vegan, the less chronic disease and the lower average BMI for the group. Vegans were the leanest and healthiest of the subgroups in the study.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    To the OP question: Where do vegetarians get their protein?

I eat whole foods, plant-based. I do not eat meat, eggs, cheese or dairy, and I do not add oil to my food, and I avoid processed foods as much as I possibly can.

I get my protein primarily from legumes, I eat them once per day minimum, usually twice. Alternatively, I get protein from potatoes, rice, wheat, oats. But really, all vegetables have some protein in them. Plants provide all the protein you need. The more important factor in a "muscular build" is resistance training. Otherwise, you could just take a protein pill and have huge muscles. It doesn't work that way. Vegetarians lift weights too!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lift but don't eat meat, poultry or seafood, but I do eat fish. I have no problems getting enough protein, but I do use protein powders.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    The thought of a meatless existence makes me shudder! But if you insist . . .

In the same way the thought of eating meat makes many others shudder. But you insisted..
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    To the OP question: Where do vegetarians get their protein?

I eat whole foods, plant-based. I do not eat meat, eggs, cheese or dairy, and I do not add oil to my food, and I avoid processed foods as much as I possibly can.

I get my protein primarily from legumes, I eat them once per day minimum, usually twice. Alternatively, I get protein from potatoes, rice, wheat, oats. But really, all vegetables have some protein in them. Plants provide all the protein you need. The more important factor in a "muscular build" is resistance training. Otherwise, you could just take a protein pill and have huge muscles. It doesn't work that way. Vegetarians lift weights too!
    Thanks for the response. So how many grams of protein do you consume a day or do you keep count?