Can I substitute?

Options
I posted this in the nutrition section but no one responded. Perhaps I should ask it here:

I started tracking on March 1st and am currently not really working out or exercising right now. I am on a 500 calorie deficit with a 40-40-20 split (carbs, protein, fats respectively). I am having a hard time meeting my protein goals. I can't stomach canned tuna and can only have egg whites once a day because I am not a fan of them either. Yogurt makes me nauseous as well (I am very picky). I wanted to know if using whey protein powder periodically mixed in with some foods is ok to help me meet my protein macros.
I also wanted to know if my macro split is ok for someone who isn't currently working out and exercising. I have been reading up for days about how protein can turn to stored fat when you take more than you need but also heard then you will just piss the extra out.
My split is:
233g carbs
233g protein
51g fats

Thanks guys and gals

(P.S.- I just added meal names so my meals times in the diary are messed up. Please ignore the meal frequency)

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Consuming more protein than you need will not turn right into fat. Don't listen to that "information".

I do a 40/30/30 split personally and find it works well.

Will you eat a whole egg? They taste much better than egg whites. Or the liquid eggs... a bit more expensive but yummy. What I normally do is mix one whole egg, a bit of milk/cream and two servings of egg whites (when I can get to costco I buy the big cartion of liquid egg whites). Mix that up and than scramble with veggies and some spices. Tastes great. Maybe do something like that. Or just eat the whole egg.

Eat beans, nuts, nut butters, legumes, dairy, cheese, etc to meet your protein goals. Add in chicken, pork, beef etc.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i've found chicken breast has the best protein to volume ratio.

ETA: sorry, never actually answered your question. i don't think adding the protein powder will hurt you or your macros, but i always feel real food is best.
  • AnthonySzum
    Options
    Consuming more protein than you need will not turn right into fat. Don't listen to that "information".

Will you eat a whole egg? They taste much better than egg whites. Or the liquid eggs... a bit more expensive but yummy. What I normally do is mix one whole egg, a bit of milk/cream and two servings of egg whites (when I can get to costco I buy the big cartion of liquid egg whites). Mix that up and than scramble with veggies and some spices. Tastes great. Maybe do something like that. Or just eat the whole egg.

Eat beans, nuts, nut butters, legumes, dairy, cheese, etc to meet your protein goals. Add in chicken, pork, beef etc.

Thanks for the reply. I can handle whole eggs but I usually go over my 51g of fats easily if I incorporate a lot in my diet. Also, the cholesterol is sky high in the yolks. More that your daily allowance recommended by nutritionist from what I have been reading.
    Is protein powder ok to help me reach my goal? I might try the 40/30/30 but is it ok for someone who isn't exercising yet?
  • AnthonySzum
    Options

I agree but I can't keep eating the same thing everyday.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I can handle whole eggs but I usually go over my 51g of fats easily if I incorporate a lot in my diet. Also, the cholesterol is sky high in the yolks. More that your daily allowance recommended by nutritionist from what I have been reading.
    Is protein powder ok to help me reach my goal? I might try the 40/30/30 but is it ok for someone who isn't exercising yet?

Your ratio doesn't matter if you aren't exercising. You will lose weight if you keep under your calories. You do want to ensure you consume more than enough protein though to try and minimize muscle loss.

Don't worry about going over your fat amount when you consume healthy fats. Eggs get a bad rap far too often. They are incredibly healthy for you. I eat between 2-4 a day.

If you want to use protein powder use it but it's best to get your protein from real foods. I have protein powder but not regularly.. I use it for when my diet doesn't provide me with enough protein. It is a suppliment and should be looked at as such.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

I agree but I can't keep eating the same thing everyday.

Cook it differently. Have it baked one day. Sliced up on a salad another day. In a wrap one day. Sliced on a sandwich one day. IN a stir fry. You can season it and have it many different ways. Have pork, turkey, low soduim deli meats.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

eggs get a bad rap.
    the cholesterol in them is "good" cholesterol.
    Eat the whole egg.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your questions regarding protein, but I can share with you that I just bought a protein powder for the first time this week. I add a half scoop to 1/2 cup regular oatmeal, 3/4 cup water, a good amount of cinnamon and about 10 raisins. Stir and pop it in the microwave for 2:45 and good to go. It is super delicious and has been my breakfast all week. The half scoop gets me an extra 13.5 grams protein that I would have missed.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    This is the brand I got. Only 1 gram of sugar i think. And 148 cal per full scoop.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/giant-sports-products/delicious-protein.html
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options

233g carbs
    233g protein
    51g fats

Protein too high, fat too low. Sources of macros don't matter if you hit them. Don't like yogurt, don't eat it. Eat Bacon.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do a 35/35/30 split of protein/fat/carbs. Healthy fats are good for you. Also, I have read that you should have 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Not sure on your stats, but I would stick with that. I do have a protein shake every day but I only use one scoop. And I think they are delicious :)
  • hunger4love
    hunger4love Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love a scoop of protein powder in a cup of coconut milk - delish!
  • AnthonySzum
    Options
    I will try to use protein powder along with some of the suggestions here, thanks