Parents, how often do you go out?

Options
After getting a comment insinuating that we go out too much I am wondering ...

In general how often do you go out without the kids (anything recreational counts)

Do you And youe s.o. Go together or seperate?

How many kids and ages?

After having opposite schedules for a year, hubs and I now go out together one night a week leaving our 2 yr old with grandma for about 3 hours. I dont feel its excessive. We dont drink a lot hit clubs etc.

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Almost never. I have several boys 2 of them are very young. If we had a baby sitter we would probably go out about once a month.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We try to go out together without kids at least once a month, but sometimes at least once every couple weeks. Honestly, we both LOVE spending time with the boys before they get tot the age they don't really want to spend that much time with us.

But we are also just getting to the point we feel comfrotable leaving the boys at home alone for a couple hours at a time. So last Thrusday we went out for a nice dinner together. That will get us out more often too.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We have a 6 year old and a 4 year old.

I go to my choir practice every Monday night, hubby stays home with the kids. He will go to the occasional guys night thing - poker, sporting event etc. I stick around with the kids.

As for together, we book ourselves a date night every other month that we get a babysitter for. Usually we do dinner and a movie, sometimes live theatre/music etc.

No one has ever mentioned that we go out too much.
  • Sambytheway82
    Options
    Once twice a year to the cinema it makes it really special an were going to Scotland next week he's working I. Just going my niece is babysitting!! It's the first time ever I left them xxxxxx

Oh I have four girls 9. 8. 5. 2. Xx
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Almost never.

And I'm a single mom. I can't even get my kids to visit their dad anymore. (They're in the tweens and teens now.)
  • Brittany3oh3
    Options
    My husband works nights so we have alone time on his days off mostly when when the kids go to bed we'll watch a movie or something and then we will do something as a family with our girls. We don't go out alone very often but we like being with our kids. We have a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

There's nothing wrong with going out alone and keeping the flame going. ;)
  • kmorg22
    kmorg22 Posts: 180
    Options
    I am single..... I go out once a week. But that is also because my parents go get my kids from daycare on fridays and tells me I cant have them back until Sunday. Lol I was surprised. I figured I would never get that much freedom but instead I get complaints if I don't let my parents watch them weekly.

I may not do anything except soak in a bath and read a book or go to the gym or something like that but I enjoy it while I have it. When my kids get bigger I am sure Nana and Pop will be locking their doors and turning off their lights when I want time to myself. lol

my kids are 3yr old and 5 months old
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I go out once a week - moms night out - usually involves lot of coffee. Hubby and I almost never get out together without the kids though - because we don't have a baby sitter.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Before our son was old enough to be home along - once in a blue moon. Maybe once every three months, max. Now that he can stay home for several hours alone, we go shopping frequently, and perhaps dinner or a movie once a month or so.

We really do like having him along with us, so much more likely to go out as a family to do stuff.
  • hubby and i go out on a date night once a wk or every other week. the kids are ages 7,3,2 & 1
  • eastonna
    eastonna Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month we do a date night. Tomorrow night we're leaving our little guy with my parents for his first overnight.

I have two boys 3 and 15months.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Does once a decade count? lol
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a year, when we're lucky.

My older boy is special needs and there is no one else to take care of him.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have a bowling night one day a week and he goes to my dad's house. That started when I was single and now that I am not, he doesn't NEED to go but they still want him for "their night". As far a bars go, maybe once every 6-8 weeks. My parents ask to keep my son or hang out with him at least 1-2 times a week so I usually spend that time at the gym or with my boyfriend.
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids and I don't think once a week is excessive...especially since you have a willing (she's willing, right?) and possibly eager built-in babysitter (grandparents can never get enough of the grandkids, right?). Even if you're both working full time, you still have every evening and all the rest of the weekend with the kids. It's important for you and your spouse to build on your relationship so that when the kids inevitably grow up and leave the home, you'll still want to be around each other. I have been the babysitter for many, many years and plan to start a family in the next couple of years. If it's possible, I will go out for 3 hours once a week with my husband!
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Hmmm I wonder if age of parents plays a role too. We are 21 & 25. I feel like my other friends with kids are out way more. Once they are sleeping they just leave them with grandparents and go to the club.

Thanks to everyone who imputs, I dont judge I feel its a personal choice based on how often you see your children and spouse, as well as what you can afford. We are lucky to have grandmas sitting services.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my girls are 6 and 7 and we go out in random spurts lol sometimes we wont go out for months, and then we'll go out a few times a month for a month or two. my father in law lives with us, so we just put the kids to bed and he keeps an ear/eye out for them.
    we usually go out to bars with friends, sometimes drink too much and sometimes we just go to a movie.
  • Brittany3oh3
    Options
    I'm 24 my husband is 25.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    What's going out? JK

When we have $40-$60 to shell out for a sitter, we will go out more, until then we rely on grandparents to watch the baby, and try to make it back before too long...

All and all, I'd say once every few months, for 'special' occasions, like a birthday party (adult) or something along those lines.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough, it's hard b/c we only have one kid and he's really well behaved so sometimes it seems silly to spend money on a babysitter to go out to eat or whatever because he behaves better than some 13 year olds in restaurants, but we are trying to get better at going out more often...in fact we have a date tomorrow!