weights and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner in the weight room, I'd look into a beginner strength program like Starting Strength. It will build an excellent foundation of routine and strength to carry forward as you progress. I'm not a complete beginner in the weight room, but haven't lifted in a long time...so I've decided to start from scratch with Starting Strength.

This

There is a great book with this program that is really in depth. Teaches you everything you need to know especially proper form. I am always looking at it. Cost about 30 bucks but worth it
  • karabff
    karabff Posts: 98
    Options
    According to my trainer..heavier weights less reps an you go till you fail (meaning you dont lose form but can't do another rep) I do 90 minutes 3 x a week an love it
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try a few different options and go with what you like. You will be burning calories regardless, which is the main goal, right? I get bored easily (thank you ADD), so I switch up my routine every 4 weeks or so. Typically I do cardio everyday and strength training of some sort 5-6 out of the 7 days.

Love you acknowledging the ADD,,,I have to switch up and I'm always thanking my ADD...lol!!
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I do heavy weight/low reps 2 nights a week, and Low weight/high reps 1 night a week (Or once every other week if I can't find time).

Strength training has been shown to help in weight loss. Though during the actual training, you might not burn as many calories as straight cardio, your body continues to use calories long after the workout, as it builds muscle while you rest.

I would say heavy weight/low reps two nights a week would be minimum. If you can squeak in an extra day, as I know adults have busy lives, then I would do so. I do the low weight/high reps because I'm training muscle endurance, which is nice to have. But I believe, from what I've read at least, straight strength training tends to burn more calories around the clock.

Remember to ALWAYS give yourself a day off between workouts. Nothing sucks worse than hurting a muscle. I hurt my foot really bad once, and I wasn't able to exercise for two weeks :(
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    great thx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!