Parents, how often do you go out?

Options

Replies

• Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to hear not many are going out with their significant others as much :(

I feel like stress is released and a better mom after a good night with my husband
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    almost never these days. we have no family to watch our kids and we are not leaving them with just any old teen babysitter. We also dont want our kids being watched any where other than our house and we dont want just any stranger in our house watching our kids. not to mention its expensive to hire a sitter for four hours and also spend a ton going out on the both of us.

so if we do go out - we go solo with friends. he stays home with the kids or I stay home with the kids. that doesnt happen very frequently these days however because he works nights and i work days and we have different days off.
    we tend to have friends over for BBQ's more often than not for a few drinks and food. it's fun, easy and cheap. Not to mention kid friendly for anyone else who wants to bring kids.

I am not against parents going out and having a blast though, permitting its not every weekend. once a month, twice. hey everyone needs time and space as adults!!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Honestly I'd rather have friends over for a couple drinks and board games than go to a club anyways. Then our kids get to play together and the adults get to hang out by the fire or something - we do this at least twice a month.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Every single week.

Although we did it maybe every other week for a few weeks when the kids (3) were really young.
  • erin1276
    erin1276 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We don't get out very much. Our kids are getting older but we don't have the time with all the activities they are involved in. We do more together as a family. I look forward to the days that we have the time to go out on dates!!! Hahahaha.... I think it's great that you go out with each other. Every family, every couple is different. We all do the best we can to be happy and stay together!
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I leave the house for work and to buy groceries. That about covers it. :(
  • GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    After getting a comment insinuating that we go out too much I am wondering ...

In general how often do you go out without the kids (anything recreational counts)

Do you And youe s.o. Go together or seperate?

How many kids and ages?

After having opposite schedules for a year, hubs and I now go out together one night a week leaving our 2 yr old with grandma for about 3 hours. I dont feel its excessive. We dont drink a lot hit clubs etc.

We try to have a date night at least once a month. We take the same car, so together. I have 3...2 that are sixteen(not twins step-sisters) and 1 that is now 10. We ave no family here, but the 2 sixteen y/o's can manage themselves and their sister.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    without the kids who are 12 and 10, 2-3 times a year to the movies, the last 4 years we have gotten away for 1 week, my mom watches them, sometimes she tell us to go out
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids and I don't think once a week is excessive...especially since you have a willing (she's willing, right?) and possibly eager built-in babysitter (grandparents can never get enough of the grandkids, right?).

Hahahahaa, I wish! My mil has babysat our kids 4 times in 9 YEARS!!! She can't travel across our city to babysit our kids but can travel to the other side of the country to babysit for her daughters kid and that's sometimes for over a week.

I understand!! Out of my parents AND my in-laws, none of them have even seen my son in 4 years...and he's only 8! He doesn't even know what having a grandparent is like.

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's just horrible for the children.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    After getting a comment insinuating that we go out too much I am wondering ...

In general how often do you go out without the kids (anything recreational counts)

Do you And youe s.o. Go together or seperate?

How many kids and ages?

After having opposite schedules for a year, hubs and I now go out together one night a week leaving our 2 yr old with grandma for about 3 hours. I dont feel its excessive. We dont drink a lot hit clubs etc.

Going out once a week together sounds fabulous! Go for it. Not excessive. The person insinuating as much is probably jealous!
  • julesassid
    Options
    I have Pool nights every week, and my husband has his Pool night a different day. Our 5 year old LOVES to go to either my parents or my husbands Mom's house. Nearly every weekend one set of grandparents is begging for him. We let him because it's a win for everyone. And I do realize how increadibly lucky we are. Normally it's our pool nights, and then every other weekend that we both go out together. I have never had to hire a babysitter for evening/weekend recreation. If a grandparent wasn't available, we wouldn't go out.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd rather have friends over for a couple drinks and board games than go to a club anyways. Then our kids get to play together and the adults get to hang out by the fire or something - we do this at least twice a month.

Agreed! Either my friends have kids around the same age or they don't have kids at all but love the one's they know. Bonfires, river house, cookouts or just a movie at a friends and the kids are always welcome.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My children are 8 and 6
    Realistically we go out together about once every 3 months but we are away for a week this year without the kids !
    We go out fairly regularly separately
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Heck you are only young once and I am sure the grandparents love having the kids. I know my parents did. Go out and enjoy. :drinker:
  • diablitaMN
    diablitaMN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My situation is different. I am divorced, so the ex has them every Sunday. Me and the BF go out together pretty much every Sunday. Going out for a girls night happens once a month.

My kids are 3 and 6.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I try to see my friends once a month and I almost never get to go out with my husband. We have a date night every 3 -4 months MAYBE. We have three toddlers ages 3, 3 and 2 and hubbs works 7 10 hour shifts every other week 3rd shift so it is tough to find the time.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am 33 (34 next month), my husband is 35. We have an almost 13 YO Boy and a 7 YO Girl. We hardly ever go out. Even when Grama takes them because she wants them to stay OR if one goes to a friends house to spend the night and the other goes to Gramas. My husband works out of town from Mon-Fri and so I am a single mom all week, so no going out then. And when he gets home on the weekend he likes to relax. He does go hunting and fishing with his buddies and leaves the kids with me, so I do not get to go out and have any fun. But OH WELL. That is life. IF I want to go out while he is hunting or fishing I will get a sitter and go, but that never happens.

What is really not good is the fact that we had some problems last year and almost split and decided then that we would have a "kid free" date night once a month. That has only happened maybe 3 times since June of 2012 and it has been because I have planned it.

OK.. well I am done ranting. I am sure I did not help you LOL.. but I see nothing wrong with going out occasionally without your kids.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent so I'll answer this one for my parents.... Zip, Ziltch, Nada! They used to say tell me they have kids to take care of but we're all grown up now and now they just prefer to sit in the house in different corners and be anti social lol! But I love them to death I just wish I could get em to have a little fun every now and then, maybe they wouldn't be so bitter then. I don't like when people use age as an excuse to not have fun. I get that everyone has fun different ways, but whatever it is you gotta find out what it may be and embrace it....you only live once and you're not getting any younger!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids and I don't think once a week is excessive...especially since you have a willing (she's willing, right?) and possibly eager built-in babysitter (grandparents can never get enough of the grandkids, right?).

Hahahahaa, I wish! My mil has babysat our kids 4 times in 9 YEARS!!! She can't travel across our city to babysit our kids but can travel to the other side of the country to babysit for her daughters kid and that's sometimes for over a week.

I understand. I wish I could say it's my MIL, but it's my parents (they are divorced and both remarried). My father doesn't have anything to do with my kids (for example, they (my father and step-mom) don't even know their ages), and my mother is a very self-centered type. Deep down I know she loves my kids, but rarely asks to see them. My daughter (9 yo) has never stayed the night with my mom.

My MIL will see them, but only on her terms and only for a couple of hours. She says her nerves can't handle them. They are 11 (almost 12) and 9, and both very well behaved. It's life and we deal.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well my Husband and I probably have a date day once a month, we all go out as a family at least 3x per month and I like to go out with friends every other month or so.

This is for the winter...it probably doubles in the summer. lol.