What are you doing about Alcohal?

Replies

• Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    What am I doing about alcohol? I'm drinking it. Right now, in fact. Cheers! :drinker:

I drink wine or beer because I like it. I never get to have more than two drinks anymore (I'm a parent with no social life - all my drinking is done at home), so when I want those two drinks, I have them. I log them, and I will actually still have them even if it means I go over for the day.

Now, if I were still in my Going Out Drinking With a Capital D days, things might be different. I'd be more apt to budget my food and excercise cals to allow for the booze, or I would be worried about switching to lower cal alternatives, or maybe limiting how many nights per week. But as my lifestyle is now, I don't think the amount of drinks I have is a huge deal.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Hello All,
    I'm 24 and I've noticed all week I'll be in control of my calories and exercise. I'm not too too strict if I go over 100 or 200 calories, I don't stress because I want to stay positive and focused, but I've noticed on weekends I end up not tracking my food, I drink wine and I'll have an occasional shot of alcohol (mostly influence of the boyfriend). I don't go out so I'm not having high calorie mixed drinks; however, Saturday and Sunday majority of the time I'm dehydrated and hungover. My weight fluctuates, I feel gross, sometimes bloated and sometimes emaciated. When I drink on the weekend normally 3 glasses of wine is enough for me which is more or less 300 calories which shouldn't be that much to effect my weight and progress, but it really does! What are you guys doing about alcohol? Avoiding it completely? Including it in your daily allowed calories? I don't know if I should just cut down completely but that would have to be a lifestyle change not just temporary?

I'm not drinking it at all.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    I quit drinking and if I do have a drink on special occasions I don't get drunk, one drink to toast and that's me done for the night x
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    I drink extremely rarely since I started losing weight (lost 40+ pounds so far) - cut it out entirely for quite awhile. Factor your alcohol calories into your day so that they fit.
  • I used to log alcohol and even plan for the calories when going out or watchin' the game with the guys ~ after a while i became tired of the after effects - same things you're experiencing... I just quit. I'm 47 and have been a social drinker most of my life. I put a count up app together on Igoogle and now I'm over 300 days without alcohol - not even beer which I used to love... When out with friends I drink club soda and lime or a non alcoholic beer. I have to tell you... I feel better than ever. I haven't stopped seeing my friends - they quit giving me trouble (not much there anyway) - It feels good. I'm a nondrinker and happier for it. Try it ~ you may like how it looks and feels on ya! :-)
  • I drink it, that's what I do with it. If I go over, I go over. I'm 23 and like to have fun. I only go out every few months though. I'm going out next Saturday and know I will go over in calories because I can't go out on an empty stomach and will have quite a few drinks. It seems as though you don't really enjoy your alcohol though, so why drink it. If you do actually enjoy it, have your beer and drink it too.:drinker:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Hi,
    I haven't had any alcohol in over 10 years and I don't miss it.
    What I recommend you do is have an alcohol free month and see how you feel and how it affects your health and wellbeing at the end of the month.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Only thing I do with it is spell it correctly.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    gave it up 14.5 years ago, along with the smokes
  • supamum71
    supamum71 Posts: 2 Member
    Dont drink too much but every once in a while I do like to have a couple of cans of cider, which are very high in calories. I only just started this a few days ago so for now am using the alcohol in with my calorie consumsion and if i go over then making sure I burn the calories in a work out, will see how this works out for now.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    I am a recovering alcoholic, so it's not playing a role in my diet thankfully.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member

:bigsmile: Me too. We rock!
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    I had this problem recently (21yr old having a pub dinner on pay day lol) I have one mixer at dinner which i factored it into my calories and then drunk juice like J2O for the rest of the night :) I also exercised more that day to allow more alcohol if I felt like it :) a causal drink won't hurt ur goal a lax day won't kill anyone so let ur hair sometimes as well just don't go crazy lol
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member

High five!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    What am I doing about it? Simple..... not having it at all. I don't drink anymore. I used to drink ALL the time, and thank go I was a happy drunk. Now I realize that I don't need it at all.

It would kill my weight loss if I did anyway. I prefer to have my calories for something better than that.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

High five!

I'm the same. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Hello All,
    I'm 24 and I've noticed all week I'll be in control of my calories and exercise. I'm not too too strict if I go over 100 or 200 calories, I don't stress because I want to stay positive and focused, but I've noticed on weekends I end up not tracking my food, I drink wine and I'll have an occasional shot of alcohol (mostly influence of the boyfriend). I don't go out so I'm not having high calorie mixed drinks; however, Saturday and Sunday majority of the time I'm dehydrated and hungover. My weight fluctuates, I feel gross, sometimes bloated and sometimes emaciated. When I drink on the weekend normally 3 glasses of wine is enough for me which is more or less 300 calories which shouldn't be that much to effect my weight and progress, but it really does! What are you guys doing about alcohol? Avoiding it completely? Including it in your daily allowed calories? I don't know if I should just cut down completely but that would have to be a lifestyle change not just temporary?

i drink. i log the cals. i try to drink an additional glass of water for every glass of wine, or margarita or any other mixed drink i might have, not necessarily at the time i'm drinking but at some point. i'm not in college anymore so weekend bingeing is no longer a thing for me so hangovers don't come into play, neither do lapses in judgement regarding food due to intoxication. so maybe just accepting into your food diary will be enough to allow you to monitor your water intake and also to overdo it less as it's less taboo. idk. just an idea.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    DeadVim dutifully checks into a booze thread.

My name is DeadVim and I am a enthusiastic consumer of the grape.

I eat well, I get drunk, I do weird stuff and I still lose weight.

It's a mission statement of sorts.
  • slavonka23
    slavonka23 Posts: 177 Member
    I don't drink!

Never! :wink:
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    I always eat back all of my exercise calories anyway, so I make sure to work out and keep my breakfast/lunch pretty light when I'm going to drink. If I go run off 600 calories, that's 6 shots of vodka for later!

I also try to keep it to shots. Mixed drinks or beer have a bunch of non-alcoholic calories, which seems like a hell of a waste when you're trying to get drunk and watch your calories. Vodka with a Diet Coke chaser does the trick much more effectively.

Most importantly, I try to keep it to no more than once every other week, or maybe once a week if there are good reasons to get plowed with friends.