I eat far too much sugar?

Options
Hey, so I'm having a little trouble here... I've been watching my sugar intake increase & increase since I've eaten healthier. How can this be? FRUIT. I find myself reaching for fruit as a quick, healthy snack, but the amount of sugar is concerning me. I have eaten 119 grams of sugar today!.
Can anyone suggest any ways to drastically lower my sugar intake?

Replies

• GotChoclate
    Options
    I am not sure how to help but I am also having the SAME problem so I would def. enjoy anyones response also.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from fruit.
  • fitforsummerlovin
    fitforsummerlovin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't worry about it at all? 119 grams seems extreme to me :s
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Limit yourself to a certain number of servings of fruit a day. There are plenty of other healthy snacks out there and you can always pre plan for the week and make little zippy bags with healthy stuff! That's what I do and it works great.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    119 seems too much. I'd try to stay at 60 max.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    unless you have diabetes or another medical issue which would force you to track and cut back/out sugar, you really don't need to bother.

track your carbs -- which sugar falls into -- and try to keep those in line. otherwise, other than the high-cal nature of sugars, no need to worry. and, for the most part, sugar is sugar, be it from chocolate or carrots.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm having a little trouble here... I've been watching my sugar intake increase & increase since I've eaten healthier. How can this be? FRUIT. I find myself reaching for fruit as a quick, healthy snack, but the amount of sugar is concerning me. I have eaten 119 grams of sugar today!.
    Can anyone suggest any ways to drastically lower my sugar intake?

um, don't eat things that contain sugar?

But really, I used to eat a lot of fruit as well (mandarins were my favourite) but now I won't eat that much. Instead I let chocolate fill that gap ;)

A bit of sugar is no worries, but I think 100g plus would be a worry seeing as I try for 25g a day usually :S But best to ask a nutritionist in this case if you feel like getting a thorough assessment
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    unless you have diabetes or another medical issue which would force you to track and cut back/out sugar, you really don't need to bother.

track your carbs -- which sugar falls into -- and try to keep those in line. otherwise, other than the high-cal nature of sugars, no need to worry. and, for the most part, sugar is sugar, be it from chocolate or carrots.

what's the cause of Type 2 diabetes again?
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too! When you find a solution, PM me! :-)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from fruit.

This^...

...except you can stop four words into that sentence.

Are you getting your protein minimum? Are you getting your fat minimum? If yes to both, then the rest will necessarily be carbohydrates. It matters very little what form the carbohydrates are. (IMHO, of course.)
  • tsh0ck
    Options

there's no one cause. but there is no scientific evidence that shows that too much sugar = diabetes.

the biggest risk factor is being obese or overweight. being inactive. genetic link. high blood pressure. low HDL. high triglycerides.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    http://blog.cncahealth.com/post/2012/03/14/How-Much-Sugar-is-Too-Much.aspx

That's based on a 2000 calorie diet for women, 2500 for men. But if you aren't eating added sugars and the 119 is from fruit, you are probably ok. I average about that every day from my 2200 calories and I'm in maintenance.

And I think the leading cause of diabetes is obesity, not sugar.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    try smaller portions of fruit and sugar substitutes
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    eat fruits that are low on the GI chart - berries are good and green apples are low. Pineapple, bananas and melon are high.
  • vjmooney
    vjmooney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue :( I eat an orange and therefore can't eat anything else with sugar in it for the rest of the day? So...I can't eat anything is what you're saying? I've been trying to just ignore that column, especially when I know that it's only going over because of fruit.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    yup. take that column off. track carbs, fats and protein.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options

there's no one cause. but there is no scientific evidence that shows that too much sugar = diabetes.

the biggest risk factor is being obese or overweight. being inactive. genetic link. high blood pressure. low HDL. high triglycerides.

sugar intake does have a huge relation to obesity, and is linked --> http://blog.seattlepi.com/timigustafsonrd/2013/03/03/diabetes-can-be-caused-by-high-sugar-intake-alone-new-study-finds/

anyway besides the point. Too much of any one thing is not good for you, let's face it. I still think 100g + is excessive, just try cut down a little on the fruit and have more vegetables. Here is some more information about some negatives associated with excessive sugar - but unfortunately it doesn't have links to /what/ these large intakes would be --> http://www.livestrong.com/article/293906-can-fructose-from-eating-too-much-fruits-harm-you/

again, nutritionist is the best person to answer this one!

edit: I feel like such a hypocrite, sitting here drinking a hot chocolate :P
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I have the same problem. I only eat a couple pieces of fruit a day but I also eat protein shakes and bars too. Those have a decent amount of sugar and I usually go over. I would love for someone to give me some low or no sugar ideas too.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i was seeing a dietician she told me to keep my ADDED sugars to 35g per day, and not to worry about sugars from fruit.
    i believe i was on 1500 calories at that time..
    i dont even track sugar now, as its never been a problem for me
  • tsh0ck
    Options

sugar intake does have a huge relation to obesity, and is linked --> http://blog.seattlepi.com/timigustafsonrd/2013/03/03/diabetes-can-be-caused-by-high-sugar-intake-alone-new-study-finds/

of course it does. because it has a lot of calories. especially in sugary drinks. when you are drinking hundreds of your calories at a time, you will very easily gain weight. but we aren't talking about sugar's relation to weight gain, especially on this site where people are generally eating at a deficit.

again, nutritionist is the best person to answer this one!

I would say a dietician is a better bet. the guy behind the counter at the smoothie shop can call himself a nutritionist.