What's the use?

Options
I started out with a running start only to have given up after only 6 weeks (yes, ONLY 6 WEEKS). This was 3 months ago. Not the first time either. How do I make it a permanent way of life?

Replies

• jamgrl1
    jamgrl1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's my problem too. I just started back again a few days ago and my goal is to "literally" take it one day at a time. I try to plan what I'm going to eat the day before and I don't mean write it down, but just have an idea. My new way of staying on top of things is FRUIT. I have replaced all snacks with fruit. If I'm hungry and feel a craving, I eat fruit. I bought a large variety of fruit (apples, grapes, strawberries, plums, and pears). Honestly, it has helped a lot. I am never starving and as long as I eat to be satisfied at each meal (especially a nice filling breakfast which results in more balanced eating for the rest of the day), I am succeeding.
  • candedoes
    Options
    Thank you. I think this next time around I am needing all the support I can get!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    One small sustainable change at a time. Don't try to change everything at one time. Make a it a lifestyle change not a "diet". Don't go crazy low calorie. If your hungry your doing it wrong.
  • nia62871
    nia62871 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad I have done this myself hopefully we can inspire others to finally take the first step and not look back! Keep posting your moods and foods maybe if we can all be on the same page we can help each other over this obstacle.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Change your thinking. Remove any possibility of failure even being an option. Instead of saying, I'm trying to lose weight/get healthy/exercise...take ownership of what you are doing and say, I'm doing it, I'm losing weight, I'm eating healthy, I'm exercising. Change the way you think about it and the rest will fall into place.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    maybe you're expecting too much too soon,
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i found i would regularly feel like giving up when i was restricting myself too much. id say i was sick of counting calories when in reality i was just sick of feeling like i couldnt have a chili cheese dog if thats what i really wanted.
    i changed my weight loss goals and my daily intake and it was much easier for me and i dont feel like im "on a diet" anymore. yes, im losing slower than i was, but im going to be able to stick to it and get long term results. thats more important to me. i also found a workout that i love and will be totally willing to do until the day i die. heavy lifting is awesome ;D
  • MajorRyan
    MajorRyan Posts: 18
    Options
    The best thing my therapist told me was to look at things in small doses. Look at the journey not the finish line and those goals will slowly become closer. Give up and it's only prolonging the prize.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One small sustainable change at a time. Don't try to change everything at one time. Make a it a lifestyle change not a "diet". Don't go crazy low calorie. If your hungry your doing it wrong.

This.

Small changes, and small, attainable goals. Don't make it all about the scale.... set fitness and health goals, too. Make getting some kind of exercise just as much a priority as brushing you teeth. Strive to eat healthier

For me, I wanted to be able to run a 5k. In the first month, I only lost about 5 pounds, which in itself might not have been enough to keep me motivated, but in the first month, I also went from not being able to run a quarter of a mile to being able to run a full mile. A month after that, I could run 3 miles. A month after that, I could keep up with my brother, who's been running for decades. Seeing such changes in my health was far more inspiring than changes on a scale or clothes getting looser.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just do.
    Formulate a plan. Make sure it's sustainable.
    Analyze what went wrong last time. Was your exercise routine too intense? Was your diet to restrictive?

You'll know you're on the path to success when it all clicks, and there's no falling back to old ways... because the new ways are superior.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to get into better shape, I gave up after only two days of logging. I came back again a month later, then started without logging twice since. None of those lasted more than a month. Then after Christmas I came back, several pounds heavier than I had ever been and decided that this is where I would start. I tried to find a method that didn't restrict too much and I set up a schedule for exercising that I was going to pretend to enjoy until I actually did. I've only been at this for a couple months this time around, but it's longer than I've stuck to it ever before.

My main trick is that for lunch I eat whatever I feel like in small portions as long as I eat a big plate of veggies first. That way I get the veggies I need - and now I like - and whatever looks yummy at the dining hall!

The other thing I've picked up is that it's perfectly alright if you have a bad day, just make efforts that you don't have a bad week. And it's probably find to have a bad week, just make efforts against a bad month.
  • joerussell7549
    joerussell7549 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    got off track just got back on and need to be reminded sometimes
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You have to really want it in order to make it a true change. Think back and think of why you've either ate too much in the past or didn't get the exercise you know you need. What was your reasoning or excuse? I know that when I'm depressed I eat too much and usually junk food. I know it's not making me feel better but I do it anyhow. In order to change that I need to recognize when I'm doing to and remind myself how much I hate being out of shape and that no amount of depression is worth it.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Realize this isn't a complete success or a complete failure situation...you'll have mostly good days but don't get discouraged when you have one that isn't as good. It's too easy when things don't go perfectly to just give up. But what does that get you except a delay in the results you want. So if you overdo one day, don't dwell on it and get back to work the next day. Relax a bit...and it will all work out.

Good luck and take that first step to get back on board.
  • sharpeilvr
    sharpeilvr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys all have great ideas. I too have stopped and started many times. After awhile you feel like a failure, but I think the fact that we keep coming back to try again, says we are going to get there someday. We can' keep beating ourselves up. One day at a time. Slow and steady wins the race!!!! Good luck to all of us. I know we will win in the end
  • candedoes
    Options
    "I AM" expecting too much too soon. I can see what I want but it seems so far out of reach. This is the first time I have ever shared a thought since joining. Thank you all who replied so quickly. Well, here I go again.........
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Start small.

Or heck, go big. I know the last time around I went big, and man, I KILLED it for several weeks, maybe even a month or two! And then I was like UGH NO MORE. And for four months or so I ate a lot of ice cream and other things that did not help my waistline. A lot. And I chubbed right back out.

And then one day I said IT IS TIME! AGAIN! AND THIS TIME I MEAN IT!

And, well, that was only a month or so ago, so I don't know how it's going to go this time. But! I started out knowing a lot more than I did last time. Not only about nutrition, but also what I liked and didn't like in The Healthy Realm. I had already experienced a little bit of the good feeling that came from eating better an exercising, plus I knew that I'd done it (a little) before, so I could surely do it again. PLUS I feel like I'm more mentally prepared this time. I'm going in with the tools and I feel cools. I didn't go all out with the exercise this time, but my fitness level was still way better to begin this time than it was last time.

The problem isn't so much with quitting-- it's when you never start again. :)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think this next time around I am needing all the support I can get!

You shouldn't see this as 'rounds', but a lifestyle change :) Do it for your long term health, energy levels, family, etc etc.

You DON'T have to cut out the things you love. I loveeeeee chocolate - couldn't go a day without. So I fit it into my daily count (I generally plan ahead as much as possible) :)
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can't even count how many times I have had to start over. This time I am doing it by tryin to eat the same things every day for lunch. This way I don't have to plan anything. I don't even have to think. As for dinner I have different things to add a little variety in my life. Sunday I eat good up until dinner. Then I let myself 'over eat" and have a large yummy snack at night. That way I am still getting that yummy bowl of icecream or steaming hot pizza that I love so much.
    You have to find what works for you. Keep trying. No one said it's easy. But it IS rewarding. When you are ready, start again. We all have failed. You are not alone. You can do this.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Dare to be different.