Oil pulling??

Options
I started oil pulling at the beggining of this year but stopped after about three days because I didnt have the right oil,and my mouth was getting tired,and my job requires to chit chat all day :)I'm wanting to give it a second try and was wondering if anyone has had success with it.Thanks :)

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What the heck is that?
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What the heck is that?

Google is your friend.

http://oilpulling.com/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    That's a new one. . . .uh, good luck with that.
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    Well, that's certainly... Interesting... :huh:

I don't buy it, but if it works for others, more power to them.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ummm, it doesn't get white because of any toxins, it gets white because the swishing emulsifiers it.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Wait... what??
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just when I thought I'd seen it all.
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks everyone for being so polite....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success how? Treating gingivitis?

Sounds like it's an alternative dental treatment
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19336860
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Interesting, not something I had heard of before. Please post your results, not sure I would be able to handle the oil in my mouth for 20 minutes though. :sick: I'm a real chatter and not sure I could keep my mouth shut for that long haha
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That sounds most unpleasant.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I read the posted link. I don't get it. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about it. Sorry this is not what you want to hear.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I tried it for like, two days. But I just couldn't.

Its oil. In my mouth. And all that swishing made my jaw hurt :frown:

I suppose you have to do it for a few weeks to get the benefits.

I think it's pretty interesting and I can't see how it could really be bad or harmful. But I'm pretty open to trying weird stuff like that.

tkJHLk0.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I tried it for like, two days. But I just couldn't.

Its oil. In my mouth. And all that swishing made my jaw hurt :frown:

I suppose you have to do it for a few weeks to get the benefits.

I think it's pretty interesting and I can't see how it could really be bad or harmful. But I'm pretty open to trying weird stuff like that.

tkJHLk0.gif

The neti pot? That's supposed to be good for allergies. A doctor recommended it to me because I get them really really bad. I keep meaning to but I've procrastinated on it..lol.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Methinks you're on you're own

Xtq1aBD.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Good evening. I've never heard of anyone having success nor failure with swishing oil in the mouth. For weight loss purposes, it sounds like it won't burn very many calories. I recommend cardiovascular exercise.
    With love,
    Burt
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I read this "Oil pulling has the potential to help with just about any illness or chronic condition" and face palmed.

I worked for one of the top dentists in my state who is also a University lecture and lectures internationally. I am seeing him in a week so will ask him about this! I really don't see how on earth it would be specifically good for your teeth though. For good gum health you need to

1. floss every day. Yes, every day. And PROPERLY!
    2. brush morning and night, at lunch as well if you can
    3. stay hydrated
    4. hold back on having sugar all day. Have a block of chocolate, no worries about your teeth. But have a piece every hour and you will do damage
    5. use a splint if you are a grinder to prevent wearing down your teeth/cracking (I learnt the hard way).

Anyway, I will definitely try to post here in about 10 days after I ask him about this!
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The neti pot? That's supposed to be good for allergies. A doctor recommended it to me because I get them really really bad. I keep meaning to but I've procrastinated on it..lol.

I was recommended the neti pot for allergies too...I've never tried it though cause the thought of pouring water up my nose kinda freaks me out :laugh:

As for oil pulling, it seems almost as unpleasant as pouring water up your nose :sick:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I was recommended the neti pot for allergies too...I've never tried it though cause the thought of pouring water up my nose kinda freaks me out :laugh:

As for oil pulling, it seems almost as unpleasant as pouring water up your nose :sick:

I think I'd rather pour the water through my nose versus risking that the taste will stick with me the whole day.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks everyone for being so polite....
    Actually I'm shocked how many have posted they have no clue what it is as it's been posted on here with lots of positive comments in the past.

Do check the archives and you'll find much more positive feedback on those threads.:flowerforyou: