How do I get over Chinese food cravings?!!

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Like a good number of have said, make your own. You can do a low sodium, low carb and low cal recipes (found everywhere on the internet) and then you can enjoy it without feeling too guilty :)
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It could be the Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) which is a flavour enchancer and addictive. I fight the sane battle at least once a week !

http://voices.yahoo.com/monosodium-glutamate-msg-addiction-never-knew-648474.html
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    You don't! lol. Eat it. In moderation, of course. There is a delicious chinese food restaurant near my house that does not add MSG. Also, there is no buffett, so it doesn't tempt me to over eat. My brother-in-law also makes an amazing homemade stir-fry. I can't tell that it isn't the real deal. Just do your research, and find something that fits into your calories. On days that you know you will eat it, make yourself hit the gym extra hard so you can eat. Your new lifestyle just be just that. If you completely cut the things that you love from your diet you will be more likely to crash and give in later down the line. You should be able to incorporate your favorite foods into your diet in a moderate amount.

If you feel that you cannot trust yourself not to overeat, then see if you can order a 1/2 order, or share a meal with your child.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what the majority here said. Make it yourself. The 'chinese' food in popular restaurants is tailored for a different palette than it is in Asia. Very stick sweet orange stuff on chicken, lots of MSG etc. I'd make myself lots of veggies and meat and limit the rice/ noodles. Besides cooking can be fun.

If you do still crave it, don't go for the takeout but a better quality restaurant.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    you have many options: 1. you could just try to ignore the cravings, i know a girl who gave up sweets for like a year of something, and at first it was really hard, but then she stopped craving them cause she hadn't had them in a long time, 2. find recipes online for your fav dishes that are healthier and you can control what's going in, 3. find an authentic chinese resturant where things will be fresher, less greasy, and overall more healthy to satisfy your cravings, 4. try korean food, it's similar kind of, it's delcious, and a lot of the stuff (other than eating too much rice or noodles or the really fatty cuts of meat) is quite healthy, or 5. just build it in like you said, speaking from experience, you will give in eventually, even if you do all these things, unless you really find something healthy that you like a lot more than the chinese food, so build it in, or have a cheat day, if you plan ahead you know it's coming, you can exercise a lot, eat otherwise really healthy, try logging your chinese food before anything else for the day, and then depending on that calories, adjust the serving size and stick to that, and add everything else for the day to fill in the gaps (probably high protein, low fat stuff), and drink LOTS of water cause chinese food is very salty and will make you bloat a lot. You will give up if you never let yourself have anything you really want because that's not how you live life, you eat bad things, you have bad days, and it all evens out, just don't stress about it if you do go over that 1 day, and don't make it a habit. If you have it for lunch also then you could add in an extra night workout or something to help balance everything out too.
  • JessaLee1212
    Options
    i make my own. even yummier.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Build a cheat day when you can have it every so often, or you will keep going crazy every time you pass the place.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Eat it!! When I have cravings for certain things, I make them at home and eat them as often as I can, then I stop craving them. Like last month I was craving pizza all the time, so I made veggie pizzas for breakfast everyday for 15 days and got over it. Well not completely, but kinda...
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a great and easy recipe - stirfry beef and broccoli using coconut oil, and season with garlic, coconut aminos (or soy sauce) , fresh ginger and just a little bit of agave or honey. I swear, it tastes better than take out Chinese.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese occasionally and found that I can enjoy it and stay in my goal by avoiding the rice.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i eat chinese food every day and i seem to be getting leaner and leaner. got to love home cooking

but to answer you question no you cannot get over chinese food cravings.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I stir fry high-protein seitan until it gets a crispy brown crust on the outside, then stir fry with fresh broccoli, red bell pepper and lots and lots of garlic. Add a few tablespoons of grocery store stir-fry sauce and eat over a mountain of steamed white rice.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One way to keep yourself from eating at that place is to have some healthy snacks with you. Even before you leave the building of your taekwondo club, eat your carrot/apple/almonds to withstand the restaurants gravity :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Get some. If it's something you like, then abstaining from it will become an obsession and that usually leads to total derailment of your program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Eat some chinese food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It could be the Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) which is a flavour enchancer and addictive. I fight the sane battle at least once a week !

http://voices.yahoo.com/monosodium-glutamate-msg-addiction-never-knew-648474.html

MSG is not addictive.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese occasionally and found that I can enjoy it and stay in my goal by avoiding the rice.

I don't avoid it entirely, but what I started doing is to get a bite of the sauce-covered meat on my fork, then just dip it in the rice that I measured out beforehand. I only eat about 1/4 cup of rice doing it this way. It's kind of the same concept as "dressing on the side" for salads.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Go to the Hungry Girl website and find her Chinese food recipes. That woman is a God send!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So Chinese food is my weakness. Everytime I go to pick my kid up from Taekwondo, it is very hard to resist the smell from the Chinese restaurant next door. I have not caved in yet, but what is the best way to stop thinking about it and get over these cravings. I know I should probably plan it into my diet and allow a day where I can enjoy it with proper planning.

I am just scared because this is the first time in a long time where I have not given up after just a week or two of dieting and eating these kind of foods will derail me again.
    I know how you feel,ive almost reached 3 weeks of eating good foods, and ive stopped eating chinease too, mainly coz i just cant account for the cals in there food properly.
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump!