Need Help Designing A Weight Training Routine.

Options
All of this info I read on the internet just has me so confused! I know I won't 'bulk' up by weight lifting and am really wanting to try, but I have no idea where to start. It doesn't make it any easier that my current gym doesn't have 'names' on any of the machines... they just have pics on them that show you what muscles they work and how to use them. I'm so clueless, that I'm not even sure how many major muscle groups there are to be worked! (yes, I now thats bad.)

I'd like to start a beginners weight lifting program -- a total body workout, and alternate days with cardio.

can anyone who is experienced with this help me out?

Replies

• TurquoiseSky
    TurquoiseSky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try reading the book: New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I would look into Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of weightlifting for women.

Both are very simple basic programs for beginners.

There are also groups on here for both

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, for the suggestions. I will look into them!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, New rules for lifting for women, and Stronglifts 5x5 are all good programs. I believe they all concentrate on barbell lifts, so they won't tell you much about the machines.

Many people who are new to lifting are scared of the free weights. They are the better option, but you can use machines if you want. Your gym should have someone that can give you a tour, and tell you what each machine is called, and what it does. Many will offer one free personal trainer session where they may write you up a routine. You could also get some routines off Bodybuilding.com, or the Jefit app. They will also have video demonstration that show how to do certain workouts.