too much sleep?

Options
Hi,

Since trying to change my lifestyle with diet and trying to become more active,
I've been looking for other things to improve my health and one was to try and get more sleep.

I usually get between 5 and 6 hours and function pretty well on that amount however I wanted to try the suggested 8 hours and see if it made a difference.

However the last couple nights I've gotten 8 to 8.5 and I find myself more tired and sluggish in the evening.

Just wondering if others have experienced similar?

Thanks,
Tim

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm the same I normally feel good on 6.5-7 hours a night but if I have more I get a headache and feel shattered guess some people don't need as much sleep as others ????
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have always been a short time sleeper - avg. 5 hours a night. My doctor mentioned "trying" to get more sleep and I am up to about 7 a night, which feels decent. Yeah, if I sleep too much I feel like I have a sleep hangover.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    Everyone is different, I like to get around 7 hours, days where I sleep 8-10 I feel so much more sluggish.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    "They" recommend 6-8... so given that the "guidelines" are 2 hours I'd assume people are different ;)
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We dream at certain periods throughout the night and that could be why you're feeling so sleepy, that you're waking up at the wrong point in the sleep cycle. Maybe look into that?
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you get a good sleep and feel good in the morning.. and only take 6 hours to do that, then your body must be recharged. There wouldn't seem to be much point in forcing yourself to sleep any longer.

I feel crappy if I stay in bed too long also.
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's everyone, I think i'll back it to 7 and see how i feel and if i'm still sluggish i'll just chalk it up to my body only needs 5 - 6 hours.

the weather is changing here also so maybe thats got something to do with it ...i always feel run down when the weather changes.

Guess i'll just have to do more experimenting.

Thanks again,
    Tim
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    btw lack of sleep causes weight gain. just sayin
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lol
  • 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Same here! It just doesn't make sense to me! If I go to sleep at midnight and have to be up at 7:00AM, I tend to wake up easier than if I had gone to bed at 10:00PM and up at 7AM
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    There are differing "studies" NO I DON'T have links....that say too much or too little sleep can alter hormone balance and subsequently weight contol.

Personally, I do best on exactly 8 hours. When left to my own devices (i.e. no need to be up at a particular hour) I'll sleep exactly 8 hours and wake refreshed. I've been off work for six years ...aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . and that's what my body has naturally decided with no stress, moderate exercise, and good diet.

I hated it when I worked and was getting 5-6 hours a night. It was brutal. Do what works for you - experience contentment.
  • SWOCaptain
    SWOCaptain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tim,

I usually do well on 5-6 hours also. That said, I suffer from sleep apnea and have a CPAP machine that allows me to sleep more deeply (2 levels below rem sleep). Have you had a sleep study performed? Just a thought ...

My problem with sleeping longer is that I have more aches and pains.

Good luck!

Mike
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    If I get more than 6 I fell like I can't get up and get moving.
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mike,

Yes, I actually have sleep apnea also and use a cpap, good point!

Thanks for bringing that up!

Tim