New runner/1st run today-questions

Options
I am a new runner. Age 51. Last September I couldn't walk 3 miles without it hurting. Now I can run 3. I though the race today was a 5k. But realized last Saturday that it was a 10K. I have run this week, 3 miles, 5.5. miles and 6 miles. So I know that I can do it. But very nervous. Never have run a race before. I know it wasn't smart to pick a 10 k first. Probably in the 40's by the time we run at 4 this afternoon with 90% chance of rain. Relatively hill course. I have never run with anyone before. My pulse rate is normally around 150 when I run but gets as high at 180's on hills. I am not a fast runner. Generally average out to mid 14 minute per mile.

I know this is lots of information, but I am going to go to a meeting and won't be able to get back on an answer anything I might have forgot until a little before time to leave for the race.

I am very nervous (a bit scared). Any insight for my first race would be great. I worry that I will keep pace with others and maybe hurt myself. I worry about how hilly it is compared to what I am used to.

Please, help. Encouragement! Suggestions! Anything! And thank you so much,

Replies

• AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    You will be fine - you have put in the miles necessary to do this race. The most important thing in any race (and you know this from your comment) is to run YOUR race, nobody else's! Work out a reasonable time that you think you can run 10k in, sort out your pacing and stick to it. You'll find in the first couple of K that people charge of like madmen - it is very tempting to go with them, but don't - that's how you'll finish yourself. Stick to your pace, take it easy, use this first one as an exercise in how to pace correctly. Make sure you take on your fluids and pace yourself well with the hills. If you have to walk its ok - you'll find that many will - there's no shame in that :-)
    Treat this as a race with yourself, not with others, you won't win, you're a new runner, but you're already a huge winner in that in just a few months you are able to do what so many can't - this is all about PBs, learning pacing and going for it and you will be fine. There is nothing like the surge of adrenaline that hits you as you cross that line - there's also no shame in tearing up at that point - I did :-D
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Start out slow, like middle to last pack of people and just take it easy up the hills. Slow down and just keep moving. Walk through and drink the water at the stations. Remember you CAN do this, you have done it before. It will be the crowd that will keep you going. My first race was like a magical experience.. looking around.. thinking "I get to run with all these people that are so in shape, I can do this and finish!".. My eyes teared up for a moment, it was very emotional. Good luck and you will ROCK THIS!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you've already done 6, you're 99% of the way there.
    I would say you should do what you did when you ran those 6. Race day isn't the day to try something new so stick to what worked for you then. You'll do fine.
    Oh, and don't start out too fast. New runners (and some of us more experienced ones as well) have a tendency to get out of the gates really quickly and then you end up hurting yourself in the end. Stick to your pace and don't worry about what everyone else is doing - some of those that pass you early will end up in your rear view mirror in the end.
    Have fun!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just start out at your normal pace - don't be tempted to chase the faster runners. If it is more hilly than you are used to, maybe slow down a little. You can always speed up later in the race. Don't be afraid to walk up hills - I've done it, still do it sometimes, and you won't be the only one! It feels so good to start slow and speed up in the last half, rather than starting out too fast and dying in the last half.
  • melishhha
    melishhha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never done a race before, and I can't run as far as you can. But I know for sure that one of the best things for you to do is not worry. Try not to make it such a big deal in your head. It's your first race, so give it your personal safest best and you'll come out happy knowing you did.

Just relax. Don't worry about the other racers. Don't think so hard about this. Have fun, take your time, and don't compare yourself to others.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for a few years now. First, you are right, if you are not aware, you will try to keep pace with others. When I run with others, I always remind myself, "it's not about them, it's about me...." I say this over and over to remind myself the real competition when you first start race running is with yourself. Also, you need to make sure you have very real expectations for this first race. You should think of this as a trial run.... As for the hills.... DON'T STOP when you start going up them.... you are better off slowing down but do not stop, it takes more energy to keep going... if you need to walk, do it when you get to the top of the hill..... also remember, take smaller steps and keep your feet lower to the ground and swing your arms to help get you up those hills.... taking regular strides or bigger strides up a hill takes a lot more energy. GOOD LUCK! Take your time and you will do YOUR best. Once you get this race under your belt, you will feel great and ready to run another one!
  • lolinj
    lolinj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Before I ran my first half marathon my BFF gave me some great advice....it's just running, you can do that. Have fun and enjoy it!
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks already. I am feeling a lot better about this already.

I am out the door.
  • susanjosss
    susanjosss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hiya, you will be fine. The crowd and the atmosphere will spur you on. I've done a few 10k races over the years and the Great South Run twice (10 mile race round Portsmouth). I'm not naturally a runner but dabble in running every now and again because I know it's a good form of exercise. For me I need a challenge like a race to get me out running and training. My advice is just go at your own pace, don't feel thatyou have to keep up with the others (you'll probably go quicker then you think). Make sure that you avoid clusters of people who may slow you down and pose a harzard for overtaking etc. I normally run with a drink in hand as I like to know that if I need a drink I've got one but there will probably be drink stations during the course. The race will be over before you know it so try and enjoy it. I remember when I did my first 10K my husband was away and he rang me on race day and he said to me "remember Susan failure is not an option". During the course whenever I felt that I couldn't go on because I had a stitch or I thought I was going to die I kept hearing his voice with the mantra "Failure is not an option". When I told my mother-in-law after the race she thought Kevin was abit cruel putting such pressure on my but I think he did me a great favour. His words were borne from love and I know that even if I hadn't made it round he would still have been proud of me for taking part. Needless to say I got round ok and I was pleased that I managed to get round in a good time (for me) and I didn't stop once. Hope it all goes well for you, take care.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I ran in my youth and stopped after school and having children. Now I'm approaching 41 and started jogging again. I'm not up to speed with you but recently a friend asked if anyone was interested in doing a 5k with her at the end of March. I've had to slow myself down to her pace...I'm tall and my power walk is in line with her jog. I've been thinking that I'd like to do the 5k by myself and get a measure of my personal best then power walk with my friend for the same route. giving myself a 5k and a challenge while supporting my friends efforts. For our local race we can do a 5k route or a 10k route. The runners start at 11:30 and the walkers start at 12:00 so at my usual best I can almost do my first 5k before the walkers can even start (usually takes me between 32 - 35 minutes.

As others have suggested, pace yourself and work on YOUR personal best. I see it as a way to constantly keep improving my own fitness either with speed or edurance.

Have fun on your run & good luck!
  • runningmanley
    runningmanley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your first race more than anything else, your goal should be just to finish, start out sloooow, it is very easy to got out to fast with everything that is going on. And as this is your fisrt 10K you will get a PR Awesome. Looks like you have done the training and I am sure you will do great. Good luck
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You are going to be just fine!! You can do the mileage obviously, just be careful about keeping your own pace. Don't try to keep up with the faster runners, stay focused and enjoy it. You will be hooked after this:)
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am excited to hear how it went!
  • jenlipe
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great encouragment and ideas. I ran the entire race with an average of 12.22 minutes per mile. Personal best. Never walked once.
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great encouragment and ideas. I ran the entire race with an average of 12.22 minutes per mile. Personal best. Never walked once.

Awesome job! I'm currently training for my first 10k (never been a runner) in April. So far my farthest run is 4 miles at a 12:30 pace. You did great, hope I can do as well!!!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Great job. Now when's then half marathon? :)
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that said run YOUR own race!! This is a competition with yourself, the goal is to finish it as best as you can without injuring yourself! If you get injured you're not gonna be able to work out properly after and that will make you feel worse!! Walk when you feel like you no longer can run, as long as you complete it!! And as you've said, you came from not being able to run at all!! Look how far you've come!!! It is all about the improvements!! Focus on the positives!!! :)
  • jenlipe
    Options
    I am registered for a half marathon May 4th. Call me crazy. :)