Very High Cholesterol: Need strict diet parameters

Options
Hi there.
I found out yesterday that I have terribly high cholesterol.
My Dr. has given me parameters of what foods to stay away from, but I really work much better if I can focus on what I CAN eat.
Does anyone have a reference to a clear cut food list of what foods to eat with high cholesterol? Not just the "eat oatmeal", but really, foods to live by. If I have a clear cut list, from that I will pull happily.

Thank you in advance.

Tania

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    what to eat...off the top of my head...per advice from a nutritionist I went to re: high cholesterol about 10 years ago

whole grains - 100% whole wheat bread, steel cut oats
    leafy greens - spinach, kale, broccoli
    nuts - almonds & walnuts (per my doc)
    fatty fish - salmon is great and most frequently found in your local grocer's seafood dept but others are good too
    health oils

here's a pretty good article from a reputable source:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/October/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol
  • scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    HI,

I have that problem too,

almonds
    spinch (i prefer uncooked in a salad)
    oatmeal
    flax seeds
    coconut oil (cook with it)
    walnuts
    pretty much all green leafy veggies
    berries

also go to the health food store in your area and get some red rice yeast, cq10...take this only if your doctor didnt put you on meds
    good luck
  • lilac1932
    Options
    I have the same question although my doctor has given me some reasonable choices for taking lunch to work etc. I switched from regular mayo to light, eat light yogurt , and got a few other ideas. She suggested cranberry jelly with a turkey sandwich and it's surprisingly good.
    Does anyone else have tasty suggestions that fit the parameters? Especially for bag lunches and snacks that might fill me up. Fruit and walnuts are like Chinese food...I'm hungry 5 min. later!
    Thank you
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Consider trying a vegetarian or vegan diet for awhile to bring down your levels. There are tons of websites with great recipes. You may find you don't miss all the meat, dairy and eggs!
  • accipiter
    accipiter Posts: 16
    Options
    I have high cholesterol too, and my doctor suggested:

* Reducing saturated fats, such as those found in butter and red meat. Use olive oil instead of butter, and try lean meats such as chicken. Fish is also very good.
    * More fiber! Leafy green vegetables, whole wheat breads and oatmeal are good. The more veggies, the better.
    * He also suggested I try liquid fish oil (not the tablets - they're not strong enough) to lower cholesterol. I went down about 40 points for my total cholesterol since cutting saturated fats and taking a tablespoon of fish oil at dinner.
    * Exercise! It doesn't have to be a ton, just more than you're doing now.

And don't be super discouraged if you do all this and still have high cholesterol. Some people have high cholesterol because of genetics and have to be on meds.
  • gracecakes
    Options
    Basically a vegan diet helps.
    Things I like in the mornings:
    -Whole Grain Toast or Bagel with Peanut Butter
    -Fruit
    -Oatmeal
    -Coffee with soy milk instead of regular milk

Lunch
    -Veggie Burgers (if you go with the vegan type they have 0 cholesterol!) with lettuce & tomato
    -Hummus Sandwiches- Just hummus and whatever your favorite veggies are

Dinner
    -Kale, Sweet potatoes, and Broccoli are my favorites because you don't have to add a lot to make them taste good
    -Pasta with roast vegetables and tomato sauce
    -Rice& Bean bowl: Rice, beans, and your favorite salsa and guacamole

Desserts
    -Sorbets!

I'm pretty sure that any combination of these makes for a 0 cholesterol day! I hope that helps!
  • lilac1932
    Options
    I made myself some calico beans (more or less) without meat...I have no idea of the numbers for it however, so don't know how to enter it in my diary.
    Any ideas?
  • lilac1932
    Options
    Everyone's ideas are great! Thank you
  • accipiter
    accipiter Posts: 16
    Options
    I made myself some calico beans (more or less) without meat...I have no idea of the numbers for it however, so don't know how to enter it in my diary.
    Any ideas?

If you have the nutritional information from the back of the can/bag of the beans, you can create a recipe based on all the ingredients, and then divide it based on how much you ate. That's what I do with dishes I make, where I have no idea how else to figure out calories.
  • maxycooper
    Options
    For lowering the cholesterol i regularly used to go for a morning walk and take a natural and healthy diet like milk and honey, olive leaf extract ,etc you may try one of these!!
    http://www.olea.com.au