Need workout routine

Options
I just joined the gym and wanted to do some strength excersise, but don't know where to start. I had a tour of the gym, but the personal trainer was not very helpful once he found out that I don't want to pay for those services. I will appreciate any help and tips, hanks

Replies

• sailorsgirl86
    Options
    This lady has an awesome & inspiring blog/website, including a fitness routine mainly focusing on strength:

http://muffin-topless.com/2013/02/28/muffin-topless-summer-challenge/

I'm in the same boat if you want to add me x
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Body Sculpting Bible for Men/Women. The book shows you the free weight way and the machine way for workouts. It's a great book!
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I found this site for some great exercises, they're animated too so you can see how to do them.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

When I do my dumbell exercises, I do 3 sets of 10-15 reps with a 30-45 second rest inbetween each set. If 10 are easy, do 11 and so on. The third set will probably be the hardest so don't worry if it is.
  • jssteph
    jssteph Posts: 2
    Options
    If you google "strength training for women" your resulting options will be endless, including really good youtube videos. Click around for 30-60 minutes and you will be able to put together a plan to get you going. Don't overdo it at the start and give yourself rest days. good luck!
  • avsgal1921
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about taking classes but that's where I found the most success before quitting the gym completely to workout at home. I do Turbo Fire, Insanity, P90X, etc. but know a lot people in the Beachbody community that still attend and teach at the gym (i.e. Turbo Kick, PiYo). Group classes can be very motivating if that appeals to you. I imagine they have a schedule of classes to pickup somewhere. Good Luck!:)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    No expert so take my advice with a grain of salt but after doing some research I settled and a decent "average guy" routine that's mostly full body that I do 3 days a week. Sets of 8-10 with 60-90 second rests, as heavy as that allows:

Squat (or similar) for the legs. I have bad knees so I use the sled usually.
    Bench press
    Tricep push down (working on dips, body weight stuff is tough for me still. sub in bench dips if you want.)
    Cable Row
    Wide grip Cable Pulldown
    Military Shoulder Press (barbell or dumbell)
    Seated calf raise

If you have more ambition and time throw in the deadlift (seems like this takes me forever to setup and do plus the form is super important so I skip it), maybe an upright row after the cable row for a little extra shoulders, and bicep curl (vanity, you should get enough of the biceps with the rest of the workout).
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    I found this site for some great exercises, they're animated too so you can see how to do them.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

When I do my dumbell exercises, I do 3 sets of 10-15 reps with a 30-45 second rest inbetween each set. If 10 are easy, do 11 and so on. The third set will probably be the hardest so don't worry if it is.

Great site, thankyou! Have dumbbells at home so something like this is great for when I can't get to the gym :)
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I just joined the gym and wanted to do some strength excersise, but don't know where to start. I had a tour of the gym, but the personal trainer was not very helpful once he found out that I don't want to pay for those services. I will appreciate any help and tips, hanks
    You could take a look at the various beginner weight lifting programs, Stronglifts 5x5, NROLFW and All Pro's Beginners Routine to name a few. All of these have groups here on MFP where you can find more information.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (I got it at Amazon for $15)

Worth EVERY penny and then some, especially for beginner weight trainers! It includes nutrition advice and 6 months of workouts with photos of good form and step by step instructions for each exercise.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I echo the New Rules of Lifting For Women -- if you have a smart phone you can down load Jefit and you'll find the routines already in there.

I also love StrongLifts -- there's a smart phone app for that too :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Womenshealthmag.com has some good beginner routines too, if you're newer to lifting!
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replays. I researched on YouTube as well, and found very helpful videos of how to use smith machine and other equipment by livestrong.com, Michelle Tripp.
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Trapp not Tripp