Sweaty after the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I shampoo mine every other day... or every 3 days if I straighten it... and my hair is fine.

I bleach my hair blond with highlights, so it's already damaged.. and washing everyday on top of that? Yea, thats a no go.

I use Colorese Sulfate Shampoo/Conditioner, and it makes a world of difference in my hair. It can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply, and is an equivalent to Pureology.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser :)
    We recommend that hair is not washed everyday, shampoo damages your hair because it opens the cuticle to help remove dirt and oil. If you do this too much your cuticle becomes weak and damaged, allowing hair breakage, chemical damage, sun damage etc.

Never let your hair become 'squeaky clean' this is the first indicator that your causing damage to your hair cuticle!!

If you need to shampoo everyday, avoid using a harsh shampoo, try a purifying shampoo which is gentle on the hair because they are usually used to break down product and oil build up but are gentle to damaged hair(which could be caused by too much shampooing).
    Make sure you condition, long hair should only need conditioning on the ends unless you have particularly dry hair.

Our recommendation is to wash every other day but we usually say this depends on lifestyle/length of hair/condition of hair. If you feel uncomfortable leaving your hair for a day after a gym workout then I would just say to wash it. Like I said above, just a gentle purifying shampoo and a conditoner(suitable for your hair type) will be best. :)
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser says the same thing. My understanding is that it's the shampoo that strips away the oils, not getting your hair wet. So, after I workout I take a shower and get my hair wet and massage my scalp as if I was washing it. Massaging your scalp is supposed to stimulate those oil glands anyway. After my hair dries, I might use a dry shampoo if it looks horrible.
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    I bought an all natural shampoo that has no sulfates to use most days (because I do wash it every day). I think it's called Avalon organics, or something like that. I tried the whole "no-poo" thing and HATED it soooo much. I went as long as I could looking like a refugee before giving up. I make sure to use a high quality conditioner, though.
  • pinchincents
    Options
    Super hot water is horrible for your hair, I would be finding another hairdresser because she obviously doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. My hair is to my tailbone and I often struggle with the to wash or not question. It is horrible on your hair if you wash it too often. You need the natural oil from your scalp to make beautiful shiny hair. I get a lot of compliments on how soft and shiny my hair is and I believe it is because I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week. Otherwise I dry it out and take away the shine. It is very hard to balance working out every day with non-oily hair though. :( I try not to worry about it until we are going out of the house.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Super hot water is horrible for your hair, I would be finding another hairdresser because she obviously doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. My hair is to my tailbone and I often struggle with the to wash or not question. It is horrible on your hair if you wash it too often. You need the natural oil from your scalp to make beautiful shiny hair. I get a lot of compliments on how soft and shiny my hair is and I believe it is because I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week. Otherwise I dry it out and take away the shine. It is very hard to balance working out every day with non-oily hair though. :( I try not to worry about it until we are going out of the house.

How the hell did you find a thread from September of last year? Don't people check dates before responding to things?
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    my hairdresser told me i could scrub my head like i would if i was shampooing. also, dry shampoo is the bomb! big sexy hair makes a great one. but if ya dont wanna be spendy treseme isnt bad either. its great for styling too
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    could just rinse with water & condition. and use a headband when you work out.

but in case you have any skin issues - your hairdresser may like your cumulatively conditioned hair, but if it spends a lot of time near your face, your dermatologist or esthetician might not. If that's a worry, happy medium: do 1 (not 2) washes with at least a little shampoo, use conditioner (not leave-in), air dry or just give it a couple of blasts with a hairdrier.

(my hair definitely looked better after cutting washing down to a couple of times a week, but my skin freaked out)
  • Netwalks
    Netwalks Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I workout most days and my hair gets really sweaty but if I wash it everyday it gets really dry so I just rinse it while I'm in the shower!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I wash mine everyday with shampoo, condition it every second day and use a treatment twice a week. My hair is in the best condition its ever been in.