Putting off buying new clothes until you lose weight?

Options
I am.

I got rid of two batches of "fat clothes". I was around a UK size 18/20. I am now a comfortable UK 16. This winter after having chucked out a lot of clothes that were too frumpy and too big, I bought one dress, two jumper dresses, and three pairs of leggings. And I basically alternate between these outfits, accessorized with boots and various scarves, jackets, coats in the hope that I will be smaller come proper spring time and can splash out on a new wardrobe.

I am self-employed and only see clients once or twice a week, and the rest of my time is spent at home, in the gym or driving my son to/from school or his activities. Because it is winter I can get away with it because my coat covers the outfit.

That is my motivation to get slimmer by Springtime - at least to a UK size 14 so that I can go in most shops and have a chance of finding something nice but fashionable.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Instead of holding out until you lose another size how about treating yourself to a new piece every 5 pounds. It will keep you motivated. Go to a shop so you can try it out and see how good you look. You may even get surprised one day when that size 14 fits.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I refused to buy new clothes until I reached the size I wanted...when I finally went shopping, I discovered I was a size SMALLER than my goal size. I see nothing wrong with waiting. It's a great motivator. I literally used safety pins to hold my "fat" clothes up until I lost the weight....then I tossed the clothes and got the size I wanted. You can do anything you set your mind to. ;)
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I refused to buy new clothes until I reached the size I wanted...when I finally went shopping, I discovered I was a size SMALLER than my goal size. I see nothing wrong with waiting. It's a great motivator. I literally used safety pins to hold my "fat" clothes up until I lost the weight....then I tossed the clothes and got the size I wanted. You can do anything you set your mind to. ;)

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

I want to be 128 again (170 now). I have made an oath to myself that I will NOT buy clothes until I'm where I want to be. I have outgrown all my fat clothes....no more excuses....it has to be done or I'll be wearing the sheets lol.
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I am the same way. I started out at 189 lbs and was bursting out of a US size 14/16. I am now down to 157 lbs and I believe I am in a US 9/10. I can't wear any 14's anymore but luckily I had some size 12's in m closet. My goal weight is 145 so I am about 12 pounds away. When I reach goal, I am treating myself to beautiful new underwear and nice clothes.

Yes I am waiting until I reach goal. I want to emerge this summer as a whole new person!
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    yes that is my bug motivator.. the light at the end of the tunnel is my new wardrobe :-D but that is easier said than done because you don't want to look terrible either.. i've had to buy new skinny jeans and 'interview' clothes but aside from that, i'll wait til i'm my goal weight
  • pagella
    pagella Posts: 44
    Options
    I think thats great! I am doing the same thing!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm losing so slowly that I just can't wait that long! Plus, being overweight and wearing the same stretched-out yoga pants all the time was making me feel so ugly and discouraged. Now, I shop and buy new things (smaller size but not my goal size) when I want to. I'm excited to actually WANT to shop and try on clothes again. It makes me feel attractive and "worth the trouble". I'm not buying expensive things, because I don't want to make a big investment in things that hopefully won't fit me for long, but I am buying things.

My big problem now is that I seem to be losing weight in my rear end and hips, but not my waist. So I can't go down to a smaller jean size yet, but the ones I have are saggy in the rear.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I reach my GW hubby said I can go get my hair done and buy a few new outfits, I will buy nothing until then. They are part of my major motivation and if I give in a buy new "cute-ish" clothes now I wont be able to afford the really cute ones I want when I'm thinner.
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is what i'm doing too! Although, my clothes are getting a little big on me, so I may have to buy some that fit properly.
    Makes for good motivation(:
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately. Driving me crazy. and I only have 20lbs to lose. Hoping I only drop 1 dress size so that I can possibly wear pieces from my current wardrobe. Have too many clothes to have to throw any of them out!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't like my clothes hanging off of me any more than I liked them to be tight. Heavy or not, I want my clothes to fit. To keep spending reasonable, I check out all the clearance racks and have started shopping consignment stores. I still have 18 pounds to my goal weight, so I know I'm buying clothes that I'll soon be donating. So, being frugal is necessary, but being frumpy is not.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how fast you're losing and what you do every day. I thought I would wait until goal, but I had to buy new a couple different times because my clothes just started hanging on me. I work in an office, and it's important to look nice. I went to Good Will and found pants until I felt comfortable spending the money at JC Penny's.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have 10lbs to lose till my goal weight but rue21 is having a great sale in my town and I'm going to buy some clothes....but I plan to get them a tad small so that they'll still fit when I lose more weight ^_^

On another note, I'm finding some bitter/sweet emotions about my favorite jeans being too big on me, they've been my favorite s for almost three years now lol
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have it in my head that I am not going to buy a bigger size, so when I get to where my clothes are looser I am going to splurge and buy some new or new to me clothing (thrift stores/consignment shoppes) until I reach my goal weight. I can't go to work with my clothes falling off ... now can i?
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have it in my head that I am not going to buy a bigger size, so when I get to where my clothes are looser I am going to splurge and buy some new or new to me clothing (thrift stores/consignment shoppes) until I reach my goal weight. I can't go to work with my clothes falling off ... now can i?
    I am with you here!