Napping during weight loss?

Options
I find myself napping in the afternoons. If I workout in the mornings, will napping stop weight loss even though I am eating right and within my calories??? Will napping slow down my metabolism???

Replies

• chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    that's an interesting question, one of which i'd also like to know the answer of! maybe try Googling it, I'm sure there have been studies
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can't see how napping would slow down the metabolism, but I guess everything is possible. I work nightshift, so my sleep schedule is totally screwy, and naps are definitely a happy part of my life.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Napping is not going to hinder your progress:). Personally, if I get a good week of sleep I consider that a very good thing.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Naps are awesome.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I thought sleep was supposed to be good for weight loss. Not that I'd know......with 2 young kids a daytime nap is not possible! Nor is 8 consecutive hours of sleep at night!
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    its not going to do anything metabolism continues on, the only difference is the glycolysis and gluconeogenesis diurnal cycle and glucagon which is released to break down glycogen in the liver at night vs insulin during the day. sleep/wake cycle
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. I remember when I would workout regularly, and play field hockey for three hours a night on three nights a week....I would come home and pass out for about an hour, then I would get up, eat dinner, and go back to sleep at normal time. I was in the best shape of my life, but I remember thinking there was something wrong with me for sleeping when I came home. LOL. So, from my personal experience, I'd say no. Besides, sleep is so important, that is when your body works to do all it needs to, so if your body wants a nap, I say listen to it :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i finally broke my plateau when i started a sleep deprivation cleanse. sleep is the enemy. try to stay awake as much as possible
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Gosh I wonder what those who work third shift and sleep during the day do to lose weight. Does this make a difference?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    i finally broke my plateau when i started a sleep deprivation cleanse. sleep is the enemy. try to stay awake as much as possible
    I haven't slept in 2½ years.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you're tired, take a nap! A siesta in the middle of the day is good for focus and productivity, so I don't see why it would hinder weight loss :)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    h898E3B2E
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt your weight loss...but I wonder if this is a sudden change in you if you should consider eating more calories? Or more dense calories. Maybe it is your body of saying it isn't getting enough. I don't know, just a thought.
  • LGNYC139
    LGNYC139 Posts: 3
    Options
    No, you need to rest in order to digest and rebuild your body post workouts. You DO NOT want to eat a meal and then fall asleep immediately afterwards though. Look on the web and you'll see lots of articles talking about how important rest is to both weight loss and maintaining a healthy body.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I actually regret all the naps I refused to take when I was little. I'm making up for it now.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    well this maybe why I'm not making any progress...but I love my midday naps!

For real though, definitely not because if that was the case there would be lots of people who wouldn't have made the progress they've made thus far including myself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No, sleep does not prevent you from losing weight
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Muscles grow while you sleep. You also continue to burn calories while you sleep. Depending on how much you weigh, you burn around 35ish or more calories per hour while asleep. Your body can't burn fat if it is tired. Your sleep is very important to your progress. When you view any articles about weight loss it will tell you to be sure to get an adequate amount of sleep. If you're working extra hard, you'll need to increase rest. It just makes sense.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt your weight loss...but I wonder if this is a sudden change in you if you should consider eating more calories? Or more dense calories. Maybe it is your body of saying it isn't getting enough. I don't know, just a thought.

high carb foods increase glucose levels in the body, there is a spike for an hour and a half after a meal, depending on how many g of carbs it contained, the more the bigger the spike. thats why its good to eat foods such as nuts, fruits, whole wheat etc because they have a low GI and it takes longer for the body to release insulin and suck it up into the cells for energy, therefore a person wont go into a natural state of hypoglycemia, this hypoglycemia, or decrease of glucose causes lethargy. voila.