Running Time Question

Options
Was wondering if any know if you can knock off 30seconds off a 1.5mile run in a week? I am in the Air Force and need to take my PT test soon and I only have 30seconds left to knock off. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Run faster? Lol sorry... couldnt help it :D
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what's your current time? and how much is your weekly mileage?
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Before you can drop your time you have to be relatively serious about the effort.

1. Unless you can't run outside due to weather conditions etc etc stay off the treadmill. Most people run their 1.5mi test on a track, so do your running there.

2. Your speed work/intervals matter. For the 1.5mi do only 400m repeats. If you want to run 11:00, then pace yourself at 1:49/lap. Maintain the same effort level during the entire lap and walk/slowly jog 100m before doing the next 400m. You should do 8x 400m every other week. When not doing 8x 400m you should run 1.5-2 miles around the track. **assuming your track is 4 per 1 mile.**

3. Limit your sugar intake about 3-4 weeks out from your test.

4. Abs, lower back, and shoulders are key areas to running efficiency. So do flutter kicks, back raises, and military presses. Don't do high weight, but strive for 3x 20 reps for the shoulders and 4x 10 for the back.

5. Use positive imagery that works for you. For example, I break my 1.5 mi run into 3 sections. The first section is 3 laps where I convince myself I'm sleepy and can feel relaxed. Second section is 1 lap where I focus on dividing my mile time in half and try to beat it on the upcoming 2 laps. The final section is the final 800m. Simple.

I hope this helps. I am keen to hear from other more experieced runners. Good luck for your test.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Was wondering if any know if you can knock off 30seconds off a 1.5mile run in a week? I am in the Air Force and need to take my PT test soon and I only have 30seconds left to knock off. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Run like your job counts on it?

ETA: I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. My husband is currently experiencing the same dilemna and that it the smart aleck response I gave him. I really do wish you the best.
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    Download a metronome app, set it to your footfall pace, listen to it while you run, then increase ten beats per minute every day until your test. It is really uncomfortable, but picks up your pace quickly and will help cut your time. Good luck!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your best chance now is to rest up and do light workouts every other day. If you train now you will wear yourself out.

Do NOT workout the day before the test. Eat a bit more on that day, plenty of carbs. Get good sleep.

Eat a light meal about an hour before. Warmup for the test with about a mile of easy jogging.

Can you wear a watch for the test? If so, just sprint to your time the last half mile. You can push yourself once. Adrenaline will help.

I'll say it again, it's too late to train, you'll just make it harder.

You should start training the day after the test, though, for the next one.

What is the time you need? Is it 30 seconnds per mile you have to cut, or 30 seconds off the whole distance?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I am with Alan on this one...you are going to have just gut it out. Thirty seconds is doable. I just put this quote in my profile:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate...but that we are powerful beyond measure - Marianne Williamson"

You can do this.

Good luck!

Keith
    US Army Infantry 1985 -1989