Help... Mirena and weight gain?

2»

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Its been fine for me but its not something thats going to be right for everyone. Do go back to your doctor if you are not happy.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    I HAVE HAD MINE IN FOR FOUR YEARS AND I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM BUT AS THE OTHER LADIES SUGGESTED MONITOR WHAT YOU ARE EATING PRECISELY AND SPEAK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. GOOD LUCK
  • skavalec
    skavalec Posts: 1 Member
    i have gained about 5 lbs in the 6 weeks ive been on mirena. im tracking everything- if i continue to gain, ill go to dr.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Ive had the Mirena for 5yrs (actually about 5 1/2...) It's still working, but worried about replacing it due to A) Strings cut short and it's going to be an ordeal to remove, and B) having it replaced and not sure about the weight gain either. Thanks for posting this thread and to all who have replied.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Had one for 4 years and had no issues. Think you should talk to your doctor.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I've had one for five years (about to get it replaced) and had no issues at all with weight gain.

Talk to your doctor, maybe something else is going on?
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    I have had 2 Mirena IUDs. LOVE THEM!

First one was from 10/03-10/08. Second one from 10/08-present. Will happily get a 3rd in October.

The Mirena has never affected my weight.
  • jennifermartini
    jennifermartini Posts: 14 Member
    Me too - I LOVE my mirena!
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    mine was a love hate relationship. loved that i didn't have to remember anything, hated how easily it made me gain weight. part of it was my fault of course, but the bloating from it was terrible >.<
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    I've wondered for a few years now if my Mirena has affected my weightloss efforts... interesting to read all of these responses... I am currently having issues with mine... wanted it out and they couldn't get to it... they had to do a vaginal ultrasound to see it... she ended up having to do a biopsy b/c of an abnormal pap... and even w/ the scope to do that she couldn't see the IUD...so to get it out they are going to have to surgically remove it... the biopsy came back normal... so I'm wondering if the IUD is causing other issues as well...who knows... but either way I want it out... I don't like that it's lost in the wild yonder and will have to be surgically removed... so we'll see...
  • aj11016
    aj11016 Posts: 65
    I also gained a TON of weight after having my son and getting one in 09. I also found out that in the last year of having it I developed a thyroid issue. Needless to say I yanked that sucker out.. In the last couple of months I have felt better then I have in years!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    I gained on it too. It also made me extremely irritable and unhappy. I got my TOM almost nonstop and my skin was horrible and my hair was thin. They say it has no side effects but I call BS on that one. I only had it in for a year and I couldn't take it anymore.
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    I loved mine, and lost a lot of weight while on it. After 3.5 years it started to make me crazy. I had it pulled out and got myself some Xanax. But I wish I could have kept it, was loving not having a period for almost 5 years (counting the time I was preggo).