heart rate monitor accuracy

Options
I got a hrm on clearance at Target. It is a New Balance N4 which said I burned 564 calories during an hour long zumba session today. My friends at the zumba class with me thought that was a little high. I'm unsure. I'm 205 pounds and 5'5" currently. Yesterday it said I burned 630 calories which was 15 minutes of warming up on the treadmill, 30 minutes of strength training exercises and then 30 minutes on the treadmill alternating running and walking for a minute. I logged the calories but did not eat all of them back.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with that brand. If it has a chest strap it's probably reasonably accurate except for lifting. HRM's are meant for steady state cardio and don't work with lower HR's.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am about 20 lbs heavier than you... When I do Zumba w/ my hr monitor (I have a polar FT4 w/ a chest strap) it's usually around 300-400 calories burned in a 45 min time period... so I would say it's giving you a high reading of calories burned...just my opinion..
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I wear a chest strap heart rate monitor (WaHoo) and I burn between 400-600 calories for an hour long class. I'm 5'6 and weigh 148 lbs.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It does have va chest strap.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I doubt they spent money on studies like Polar, Garmin, Suunto.

Probably bought formula's from someone, so who knows.

Actually, you can know, dead on how off it seems.

Since you do the treadmill, just do this test.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

If it gets mighty close, might test at another HR level equal to what you get during Zumba. Just increase incline or speed up to 4mph to match the HR, and do same test.

That'll tell you how close it is for doing the Zumba stuff.

Or, use the avgHR for a workout session that it tells you, take that time and AHR to this spreadsheet, HRM tab, fill in your stats and use sections below to get your best estimated stats, and your calorie burn table will be at the bottom of that tab.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

There, you just got a formula from a Polar funded study tweaked for all your stats.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Was this a new form of exercise for you? If it was, you may have truly had a high heart rate because your body isn't used to it. Were you at a really high rate of moving and out of breath the entire hour? If so, it's possible. If not, it's too high.

I weigh 177 and usually only get about 300-400 an hour doing steady cardio (elliptical or jog/walk on the treadmill).
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that the HRM is not accurate for strength training its geared more for cardio.. also I have a Polar Ft4 and weigh 203 pounds 6 ft and 55 mins of zumba gets me approx 650 calories burned and that high intensity zumba. make sure your chest strap is wet before you put it on for a good connection and also if that particular brand lets you enter your height, weight resting heart rate thats the best way to get closest accuracy.. Enjoy your zumba either way hun and best wishes on your journey

You could also do this test... compare it to what your hrm says its only 37 calories off when i used it to compare

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    for an hour spinning class I can burn 500-600 with my ft7, circuit training 450-600, water aerobics 400-500. I am 5'5" 210 lbs. during that hour I give all I have.
    So if you gave it all you had (unable to carry a conversation) I would say it sounds like your heart rate is within range.

Hope this helps
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The HRM is monitoring how hard you work, not your height and weight. The more often you take Zumba classes, the easier it will get and the less calories you will burn whether or not you "lose weight." You will have more muscle and your heart will be in better condition. So if you are wearing a chest strap, its probably correct. Make the most of your time in the condition and don't eat your calories back if you can help it. It takes me forever to burn calories now that I'm in better shape!
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like its that high... I can easily burn that much doing an hour of cardio I am 228lbs though... yesterday I pushed myself a lot while working out did 15 mins on a bike programme that almost killed me... then 25 mins on the elliptical and 7 mins on a rowing machine.... I burnt 650 all together (rounded down a bit too).
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good to me! I check my heart rate after each song and in between and it's usually 174-180ish. If you're unable to talk while doing zumba then you're probably burning about that. I average 500-600s when i put full effort into my moves for the majority of the class.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It does have a chest strap and I'm able to put in my weight and height. Thank you all.