Enquires on sugar intake daily

Options
Hi. I am Cherry, a full-time 23 years old student in Singapore. Recently, i discovered that my sugar intake daily is more than 28g and the highest can be 49g due to low fat yoghurt, nuts, full cream milk, dried cranberry and fruits... Is it ok or should I reduce eating these stuffs?

Can anyone helps me?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the best thing you can do... dont track sugar... its bogus to track it. And going over wont affect weight loss.
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you have the better
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The less processed sugar, the better. Natural sugars found in fruit, whole grain cereals and grains is fine. Remember all carbohydrates are turned into sugars in your body, these ones are fine if they are from whole foods.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am always WAY over on sugar for what MFP recommends. I don't add sugar to anything nor do I eat candy or heavily processed snacks... I eat quite a bit of fruit though. My diary is open if anyone wants to look and make comparisons or even make comments! :) I welcome advice! :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Whole fruit is fine; don't even worry about the sugar in those.

For me at least I avoid refined sugar and simple carbs when possible; sweets and highly processed cakes / cookies don't keep me full and tend to leave me hungrier within an hour. They are also empty of nutrition.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    Here is the best thing you can do... dont track sugar... its bogus to track it. And going over wont affect weight loss.

Just wondering how you know this. I have always wondered about high sugars too. Does it just affect my "sense of well-being," so to speak?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your body breaks everything down to glucose to use for energy, but try and stick to sugar found in fruit/veg but don't don't crazy on the fruit intake either. Fruit has the fibre that negates the impact fructose has on your body provided you don't go overboard. Processed and added sugar is a different story. Belly fat is dangerous fat, mostly caused by fructose and stress. Try and copy what's readily available to humans in nature and you should be fine.
  • laurarose831
    laurarose831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cherry, I've been pondering this too.

I got some advice from MFP users the other days that I should be watching my sugar limit, so I've been trying to follow a daily goal of 24g of sugar. I find difficult to stick to, but when I look at the sources of sugar throughout the day, many small random sources contribute (such as 1g from a hardboil egg, as a random example -- or 5g from the veggies in a lunch salad).

If I stick to 24g, I basically have to limit/skip fruit with breakfast, which I don't necessarily want to do, since it is a healthy source of nutrients (and, in moderation, the type of sugar naturally found in fruit is "better" — right?)

I completely get that carbs/sugar is good to limit in general when losing weight and that you especially want to watch real SUGAR (aka honey, maple syrup, desserts, corn syrup, processed crap... all stuff I rarely eat anyway)... but many other foods have a 1 or 2 grams of sugar in them and that adds up so quickly to the limit.

-- Should you stick to your limit at the expense of good foods like fruit and veggies, or even other non-sweet foods like greek yogurt/whole wheat bread?
    --Could users like Cherry and myself up my sugar limit to allow for more of these fruits/veggies/good things?
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Here is the best thing you can do... don't track sugar... its bogus to track it. And going over won't affect weight loss.

Agree, unless you have a medical condition that warrants it.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    To the OP, just saw this post a few lines down - check it out for more opinions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919091-tired-of-being-overweight-and-need-help-please
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

correct.

only reason to track is if you have diabetes or some other medical reason to limit/stay away from entirely. track carbs -- that's where sugar falls anyway. but before that, track protein first and fats second.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.

Sugar is not a "subset" of carbohydrates, all carbohydrates are saccharides=sugars. Some are complex, longer chains that include fiber, and some are simple.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sugar is not a "subset" of carbohydrates, all carbohydrates are saccharides=sugars. Some are complex, longer chains that include fiber, and some are simple.

Huh? What is it then?
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Psh......I'm lucky if my sugars are under 75g for the day. I'm not having a problem reaching my goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just wondering how you know this. I have always wondered about high sugars too. Does it just affect my "sense of well-being," so to speak?

Because its already been proven by every research facility that its all about calories in vs out. And i eat well over 100g of sugar a day. It doesnt even matter if its from natural or processed sugar. If calories are constant fat loss will be the same.

Btw, i frequently eat milky ways or other candy... i average 1 lb per week... but i also still get 1 g of protein per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of lbm. On top of that i hit all my micronutrients and macro nutrients...
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    This is incorrect.

There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately. Your carb count is different than your sugar count and should be counted with what works for you and what your goals are. Everyone will have a different carb count. And your personal carb count will vary according to where you are in your weight loss or maintenance journey. I won't go more into this, because your question was about sugars.

There are good sugars and bad sugars. Regardless of where you are in your journey you should ronly have 10g or less of bad sugars a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit or veggie for example) you should eat no more than 100g.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect.

no, it isn't.
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately.

no, you don't.
    There are good sugars and bad sugars. You should reduce your bad sugars to under 10g a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit for example) you should eat no more than 100g.

no, there aren't. and no, you don't. because, well, no, there aren't.

solid first post, though.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    This is incorrect.

no, it isn't.
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately.

no, you don't.
    There are good sugars and bad sugars. You should reduce your bad sugars to under 10g a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit for example) you should eat no more than 100g.

no, there aren't. and no, you don't. because, well, no, there aren't.

solid first post, though.
    Poor evidence to discount my claim.

Your point is invalid.