protein shakes

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    my diet states im getting enough protein everyday but what is the average intake you should be taking whilst exercising?

Well don't quote me on that but I've read that if you want not to lose too much muscle you need to eat 1g for your ideal weight of proteins or something. I don't know if it's doable or accurate and I don't eat that much but I find the protein goal on MFP really low. I'm always over by 50ish or something. Mostly eating high protein snacks and meals fills you up longer.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Stay away from any Slim Fast, or similar shake. They are very bad for you.

If you take anything, take a high quality whey protein. Just remember they are supplements, and not meal replacements. It is also very important to intake whole food with these. Protein shakes on their own will digest too quickly, and can actually be stored as fat in your body.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I drink a smoothie every weekday morning as my meal. I had one today as well: plain almond milk, blueberries, soy protein and a bit of stevia. With a bit of peanut butter off a spoon, it comes out to around 400 calories I think.

I bought some plain whey protein powder today since I ran out of the soy powder. Half a pound at my local Sprouts store was $6.00. Sometimes I'll use a banana and peanut butter. Now THAT is an excellent smoothie!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes on their own will digest too quickly, and can actually be stored as fat in your body.

Seriously??
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes on their own will digest too quickly, and can actually be stored as fat in your body.

Please do some more research before posting... bread and protein shakes get stored as fat?? Not a chance unless you are over calories.
  • Vikkicmccrory
    Options

If you take anything, take a high quality whey protein. Just remember they are supplements, and not meal replacements. It is also very important to intake whole food with these. Protein shakes on their own will digest too quickly, and can actually be stored as fat in your body.

What whole foods would you reccomend taking with it?
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

Please do some more research before posting... bread and protein shakes get stored as fat?? Not a chance unless you are over calories.

What does calorie surplus/deficit have to do with anything? Whey protein powders are highly refined, which causes very fast digestion. Rapid digestion causes blood sugar spikes. They should only be used as a protein SUPPLEMENT like their name states.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

What whole foods would you reccomend taking with it?

I know a lot of people mix them with bananas and peanut butter, or yogurt.

I'd recommend mixing in some soluble fiber to slow the process down, but anything that isn't highly refined or processed would work.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    WTF no wonder why I can't get down to 8% bf.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

What does calorie surplus/deficit have to do with anything? Whey protein powders are highly refined, which causes very fast digestion. Rapid digestion causes blood sugar spikes. They should only be used as a protein SUPPLEMENT like their name states.

Wow.... just wow.

What does a calorie surplus/deficit have to do with anything?? A calore surplus causes you to gain weight... a calorie deficit causes you to lose weight. Simple as that.

I really don't understand where you got your information from. HIgh GI foods make you gain fat... protein shakes make you gain fat... seriously?
  • spartans1958
    Options
    I drink one for breakfast when I get to work!
  • succubaeangel
    Options

Wow.... just wow.

What does a calorie surplus/deficit have to do with anything?? A calore surplus causes you to gain weight... a calorie deficit causes you to lose weight. Simple as that.

I really don't understand where you got your information from. HIgh GI foods make you gain fat... protein shakes make you gain fat... seriously?

Ok, some srz bussiness here: you guys opened this word and you need to provide some evidence, either from experience or documentated. There are lots of people (including me, goood T__T) who use high amounts of protein powder and are trying to lose weight and build muscle. Are we all doing it wrong?!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My protein powder never tastes good. What kind do you use thats yummy?

Have you tried making Protein Pancakes, they are soooo good. I have two different kinds of protein powder but the one I use for the pancakes is Cyto 100% Whey Vanilla Protein in the big bag from Costco. I mix one scoop of the powder with 3 egg whites and a splash of water. Then pour in a well sprayed frying pan, it usually makes two good size cakes. They are slightly sweet, a tiny bit chewier than regular pancakes, but oh so yummy!
  • cappri
    Options
    I mix my body fortress chocolate protein powder with whole organic milk and cold coffee and ice. The coffee cuts the sweetness (which is really necessary IMO) and makes it taste mocha-y... Yummy enough that I would probably buy it from starbucks :)

I've been wanting to try adding coffee to a protein shake but I've been a little scared, I think I'm going to go for it today. Thanks for the push!
  • cappri
    Options
    The two shakes I have the most often-

1 orange, 1 banana, 2 cups spinach, 1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 cup water and a few ice cubes. I usually have that one after yoga class on my way to work.

The other one I use EAS Recovery Protein Chocolate, two scoops is a serving of this one. Mix the protein powder with 1 cup milk and 1 cup of either fresh raspberries and some ice or 3/4 cups frozen unsweetened cherries. That one I generally use as a meal replacement in between an afternoon run and going to evening yoga class.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes contain calories. Adding them to your diet will not help you lose weight. Protein isn't the secret to weightloss contrary to popular belief.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I dont use them as meal replacements.
    I have 7 different flavour protein powders,
    lemon shortcake, cherry bakewell, butterscotch ripple, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana.
    i use these in porridge, shakes or yoghurts either fat free greek yoghurt or quark (quark is a fat free soft cheese)
    when you put quark and protein powder together it tastes like a cheesecake without biscuit base, its gorgeous and the quark has lots of protein in.
    even though i have a lot of protein powders i just use them to up my protein, and get a more toned body.. i still have like meat & eggs but using protein powder in what i listed before is just another way of getting high daily protein. its important to have a lot of protein as you burn more cals when exercising and you lose fat not the muscle when you have more protein :)
    the protein works site is a fab site, i just use whey 80, you get a free shaker/blender with your order.
    you can use my friend code and you get 250g free of protein powder your flavour of choice. thats £5 free.

i really reccomend it, all the flavours are gorgeous. they also have other flavours which my mfp friends say are nice too
    thats jaffa cake and apple cinnamon flavour. you can use whatever milk you want, some people even use water but ive never tried that, i use semi skimmed (green top) or 1% fat (orange lid).
    if anyone wants the code for protein works its GW2124.

Thanks for that - I love the idea of the lemon one mixed with quark.

I use optimim nutrition - love the vanilla and mint choc flavours - but hated the strawberry.

I have them to help me meet my protein goal - often vanilla with milk over my morning cereal. or just on its own with water after weight training to refuel and repair my muscles - though I'd better be careful because that would mean it would become instant fat :noway: HA HA.

Sometime I have one in the morning on its own and I'm in a rush for work, keeps me filled up until I can get some solid food :happy: I rarely use it as a meal replacement on its own though - more often I'd use it in a smoothie if I was going to do that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes contain calories. Adding them to your diet will not help you lose weight. Protein isn't the secret to weightloss contrary to popular belief.

True but if the shake fits in your macros and helps you meet your protein requirements they aren't bad either. Protein actually keeps me fuller for longer - so stops me snacking, so does help me stay in my calorie goal, it also means I keep more of my lbm (along with the weight training) meaning it helps with fat loss :flowerforyou:
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Wow.... just wow.

Ok, some srz bussiness here: you guys opened this word and you need to provide some evidence, either from experience or documentated. There are lots of people (including me, goood T__T) who use high amounts of protein powder and are trying to lose weight and build muscle. Are we all doing it wrong?!

If you are trying to build muscle while losing fat than you are doing it wrong. You can't do both outside of very small newbie gains. You either lose weight (which includes water, fat and muscle) or you build muscle.

Protein shakes will not make you gain weight... unless you consume more than your maintance calories.

Protein is obviously better from food as protein powders won't make you lose weight or build muscle themselves... they are a suppliment to help reach your protein amounts.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

True but if the shake fits in your macros and helps you meet your protein requirements they aren't bad either. Protein actually keeps me fuller for longer - so stops me snacking, so does help me stay in my calorie goal, it also means I keep more of my lbm (along with the weight training) meaning it helps with fat loss :flowerforyou:

Protein keeps me full for all of 2 minutes. They're not for everyone.