Lot of weight to lose, Exercise question.

Options
First of, Hello all!!

Last week I joined the gym, I have been every day since I joined. Which is great for me, going from nothing to exercising for a least an hour every day, plus swimming..

However, I am getting concerned. I am losing weight everywhere, apart from me belly :(
When I go to the gym I am using the cross trainer, spinner, rower and walking at different paces. I haven't even thought about weights yet as I still have a lot of weight to lose.

So my question is, how can I lose my tummy?!

Thanking you all in advance :)

Replies

• Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's all in the diet for stomach fat mostly. The only other thing that will make you retain body fat is high cortisol levels.

What's your diet like? Great job on your exercise :)

I've taken a look at your diary. My advice: be consistent in your logging. Try to move away from processed foods and incorporate some good sources of protein :) just make small changes.

To the response below: women are genetically pre disposed to carry it on legs and thighs, men around their waists. There's no reason why weight can't be lost around the stomach. I've had two kids, this photo was taken after their births and I work hard for it!

You can have anything you work for x
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Fat deposition is genetically determined, so some areas may never get down to the size you'd like without something like liposuction.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First of, Hello all!!

Last week I joined the gym, I have been every day since I joined. Which is great for me, going from nothing to exercising for a least an hour every day, plus swimming..

However, I am getting concerned. I am losing weight everywhere, apart from me belly :(
    When I go to the gym I am using the cross trainer, spinner, rower and walking at different paces. I haven't even thought about weights yet as I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Great job on the exercise!
    You can't spot-lose weight. There is nothing you can do to target stomach weight vs other parts of your body. You just need to keep at it, and the weight will come off all over.

Good luck!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's all in the diet for stomach fat mostly. The only other thing that will make you retain body fat is high cortisol levels.

I've taken a look at your diary. My advice: be consistent in your logging. Try to move away from processed foods and incorporate some good sources of protein :) just make small changes.

To the response below: women are genetically pre disposed to carry it on legs and thighs, men around their waists. There's no reason why weight can't be lost around the stomach. I've had two kids, this photo was taken after their births and I work hard for it!

*LOVE* Great tips!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    First of, Hello all!!

Great job on the exercise!
    You can't spot-lose weight. There is nothing you can do to target stomach weight vs other parts of your body. You just need to keep at it, and the weight will come off all over.

Good luck!

^^^This^^^

There is no magic exercise or food or potion or pill, the weight will come off the way it is going to come off and there is no way to "target" an area to lose it faster. Wish that it were so, but it just plain isn't. Your belly fat may well be the last to go - don't let that stop you! Keep going, you're doing great!
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the only way to lose it is to lose everywhere do high intensity cardio. i'm on week 6 of Insanity and my belly has gone down a lot. Then start adding some abs exercises although they will just tone your muscles but you need to lose the fat first
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options

bump for this^
    good advice, my tummy isn't going down either.
  • baybeeboo
    baybeeboo Posts: 65
    Options

Great post, thanks for this!

My diet.. It really varies. Actually I am probably trying to cover up the truth, 2 years ago I had a gastric band. My diet really contains a lot of processed foods. Although I don't eat much at all. 6 days a week I'd skip breakfast, have about 2 cups of tea, for lunch I'd have maybe a packet of crisps/chips (depending where your from) Which genuinely fills me up. I eat them because I can, I have trouble eating most foods, so tend to stick to sloppy foods, things easy to get down. Dinner again varies, i'm a fan of mashed potatoes.

Typing this up, reading it back, I know this needs to change!

Thanks again xxx
  • janbeverley
    Options
    I have lost 39lB but still have an overhang of my stomach. However I have lost size all over my body particular my legs. I have lost weight before and this was not the case. I think my body fat will even out as time goes on and after reaching my goal. I cycle when I can ( cannot bear the gym) so I think specific exercise might do the trick like stomach crunches. Whatever, dont loose heart and keep going. You have lost a tremendous amount and must be feeling great.
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Thanks again xxx
    [/quote]

You got it :drinker:
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Great post, thanks for this!

My diet.. It really varies. Actually I am probably trying to cover up the truth, 2 years ago I had a gastric band. My diet really contains a lot of processed foods. Although I don't eat much at all. 6 days a week I'd skip breakfast, have about 2 cups of tea, for lunch I'd have maybe a packet of crisps/chips (depending where your from) Which genuinely fills me up. I eat them because I can, I have trouble eating most foods, so tend to stick to sloppy foods, things easy to get down. Dinner again varies, i'm a fan of mashed potatoes.

Thanks again xxx

Anytime :) they are also right on its not possible to spot reduce but it's been my experience that stomach fat is real stubborn and therefore the diet needs to be right. From what you've said....you do need to change things. Start with one thing. Eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow. Then see how you feel over the morning. Or if night time snacking is a problem then change them to healthier options. That kind of thing, baby steps!

If you've had a gastric band....and your still struggling with weight......it's time to look at the emotional reasons behind why you struggle with food. Until you get to the bottom of that, it's going to be a struggle.
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    First of, Hello all!!

First thing is, where ever the LEAST fat is on your body, thats where its more then likely going to be gone first. Second, you can't spot reduce. You can do more things to help the area, but you just have to go through the process and don't get discouraged in doing so. Keep it going!

Here are some great warm up exercises that you can incorporate into your regimen

http://www.isefitness.com/exercises/total-body-exercises/warm-exercises-cardio
  • baybeeboo
    baybeeboo Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks all!!

I have been doing my usual cardio at the gym, but have added in the ab roller (Not sure on it's proper name) and boy can I feel it! My belly aches after this, but in a good way! Definitely feeling the benefits!

So again thanks all.
  • cpk44
    cpk44 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One thing that is a good "tummy-tucker" is doing core exercises such as planks. Also, over time, the weight will come off all over.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Now my belly is one of the last places I have to lose from I have noticed that a lot of the problem is in the diet! I've started eating healthier and making smarter choices, where before I had been lazy about it, and I've found that the better I eat the more 'flat belly days' I have.

Along with core exercises I have noticed a dramatic change in the way my belly looks.

Well done on all your work so far! x
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't even thought about weights yet as I still have a lot of weight to lose.

you should start hitting the weights. dead lifts and squats work wonder for the body. the whole body.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^^ pretty much! Consistent logging and being honest with yourself about what you're eating. More fresh foods and less processed foods.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is staci. she is awesome. she hit the weights.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she is 131lbs, and on the right she is 11 pounds heavier, and looks amazing.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I also lose from my belly last. I started losing after having my 2nd baby, and I up on a lot of weight with her. I began with doing cardio and strength training. It definitely helps doing both as I'm toning as I'm losing, and the more muscles you build up, the more fat you can burn. I've lost 60lbs and around 12 inches off my waist, and the same off my thighs and hips. I'm an hourglass shape. Now my biggest issue s my baby belly! But it's so much smaller now and getting smaller all the time. Patience!

I haven't looked at your diary but I'd agree with others - keep away from processed foods, and go for lots of protein. Avoid things with 'diet' in the title as they usually have more sugar, and aspartame and all sorts of crap.

Feel free to look at my diary.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Keep going girl. You can't choose where the fat comes off unfortunately, but if you stick with it and get your bodyfat down low enough, eventually you will lose the belly fat that is bothering you.

Oh, and yeah, start hitting the weight room hon...like YESTERDAY. You don't need to wait until you're "in shape" before you start lifting. Lifting is what GETS you in shape. You do not want to work your *kitten* off to lose all this weight, and then realize that you're just a smaller version of your overweight self. Lifting weights is the ONLY ONLY ONLY way to re-SHAPE your body girl. Start NOW. Trust me. You'll never regret it.