How many are calories burned taking a shower+washing hair

Options
Dumb question but I have always curious over this since I usually take a long time in a bathroom cleaning myself. I did google around but the answer are varies. :\ Any idea how many it is?

Replies

• fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you really need to know put on a heart rate monitor and find out. This is kind of ridiculous, it counts in daily activity, it would be like counting calories from walking from the living to the bathroom.
  • Lugemachine
    Options
    Hair...

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lol, I had a gym member come up to me once and said she did her squats in the shower because at least this way the sweat was washed off!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but I have always curious over this since I usually take a long time in a bathroom cleaning myself. I did google around but the answer are varies. :\ Any idea how many it is?

i'm not sure but i have arthritis, and i know sometimes it can take all my energy just to shower vigerously scrub and wash my hair then spend an hour drying and styling it. so i don't know about calories but i know from experience it can take a lot of energy.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it is not waterproof so I can't use it to determine that. ><

I ask because I usually spend 45-1hr+ in the shower and it taking longer times than other people around me. Just curious that's all. =P
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it is not waterproof so I can't use it to determine that. ><

I ask because I usually spend 45-1hr+ in the shower and it taking longer times than other people around me. Just curious that's all. =P

Longer than the people around you... I am just going to think about that for a moment....

Ok!

Anyway, it doesn't matter how long your showers are, but how hot the water is. Hotter the water = more calories burned.

:drinker:
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are funny!!!!! I really did laugh out loud at this post!
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just laughed so many times at these replies :D
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    it doesn't matter how long your showers are, but how hot the water is. Hotter the water = more calories burned.

Or maybe take an ice cold shower because anything ice cold burns more calories trying to heat your body back up.
    And add squats while you blow dry your hair...
    :noway:
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's such a ridiculous question... I've got meter long hair (almost 44 inches I believe), and it's quite some work to wash it, get knots and other crap out and finally dry it. But, meh, I guess you can still count that as daily activity :P
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i believe the equation is divisable by the water droplets reflective capacity. The temperature of the water can also be factor that may or may not help. lol
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Not enough to be worth worrying about.
  • Vero_Nika83
    Options
    Just wondering: Is this a serious question? If yes I will just say OMG. I think you burn more calories while pushing on the toilet.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It take you upto an hour to wash? What on earth are you doing that takes so long?!

...and why does it matter how many calories are burnt, it's not a workout.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think this must be a joke.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's such a ridiculous question... I've got meter long hair (almost 44 inches I believe), and it's quite some work to wash it, get knots and other crap out and finally dry it. But, meh, I guess you can still count that as daily activity :P

I have thick, curly hair that I was told to comb with my fingers in the shower. It takes a while. Gosh, I wonder how many calories I'm burning turning my shower radio dial to NPR?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    1226d1313732699-saunas-not_sure_if_srs.jpg
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Hmm I'm not sure but I have big questions about why this would matter. Probably not much though. This is the type of activity had is considered baseline - if you are trying to negotiate more calories burned this probably wouldn't be the activity.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I have thick, curly hair that I was told to comb with my fingers in the shower. It takes a while.

Perhaps a brazilian is on order?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If its something you do everyday, then it's figured in your daily calorie requirement. I don't think I'd be adding back those burned calories as exercise cals.

Or are you just asking out of interest?