Chocolate

Options
Help

Can someone please give me any hints/tips on how to give up chocolate?

I'm sure I've got an addiction to eating chocolate and want advice on how I can stop. I feel like I can't go for a day without eating a bar or 2 and I need to stop/full stop!

I've even tried hypnotherapy a few years ago and it didn't work. I hide chocolate from the hubby so like a comfort blanket I know I've got some at all times when I crave for some.

This needs to stop and I'd love some help/friends to help me through this x

Replies

• Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What kind of chocolates do you eat? You know Dark Chocolate is really healthy, but of course you can't overindulge and go over your calorie intake and totally kill MFP allowances..............but, if you can fit it in, it's great for you! Google the benefits and see
  • claireb12
    claireb12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'll eat any kind of chocolate, and I've got no willpower. If i've got a bar of dark chocolate I'll want to eat all of it which is why i think it's best for me to go cold turkey until I've reached my goals then I might treat myself.

I just need ideas on how I can control my cravings when I want chocolate, If i start thinking about it as well I want it even more!!
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Claire, if its merely the taste of the chocolate and not the bar itself, try silk dark chocolate almond milk. It's delicious (in my opinion), it's good for you, and it's fairly low cal.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    lol!!! idk if there is help but i agree with the dark chocolate comment
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    dont use food as a reward!!
  • claireb12
    Options
    Claire, if its merely the taste of the chocolate and not the bar itself, try silk dark chocolate almond milk. It's delicious (in my opinion), it's good for you, and it's fairly low cal.

Mmhh not heard of that, might give that a try x
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, chocolate is fabulous..........anyway, I looked up one link and I'll share it with you:

http://shine.yahoo.com/5-tricks-beat-chocolate-cravings-180500893.html

You may be right to eliminate it from your house. I've had to do this with other things.
    For me, I had to not eat pasta items for a couples weeks until I could try just what is
    allowed. In the meantime, I found other things to eat instead of it and then when I
    incorporated a smaller amount of pasta, I could control the desire to go all out binging
    on it..........I mean I loved pasta so much I ate the whole box Kraft mac and choose myself
    but now I don't buy it at all. Just control myself with one cup...........sort of that idea in your
    chocolate situation.

What do you think?
  • claireb12
    Options
    dont use food as a reward!!

Good point, think I just need to go cold turkey and try to keep my mind occupied and do something else as soon as the thought of chocolate pops into my head, perhaps log onto this sight, that might help x
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chocolate-flavored foods that might satisfy the craving, like cocoa roasted almonds or chocolate yogurt/frozen yogurt? One of my favorite post-workout snacks is plain greek yogurt with chocolate flavored protein powder stirred in. It's not really particularly chocolately, unless I add cocoa, as well, but it helps trick my brain into thinking it's getting chocolate, and I love the texture; it's thick and creamy, almost like softserve.

I adore chocolate, and have a difficult time limiting my intake, so I keep whatever chocolate I am given (I try not to buy it) in the freezer so I can dole it out in pieces. I've successfully kept 1 lb of mixed chocolates in there since Valentine's day and have only eaten about 6 or 8. Out of site, out of mind, largely. When I do get into the box, I do usually end up eating more pieces than I had intended, but then I just fit in an extra long workout. I don't want to live my life without chocolate, but I can relate - I've had to stop buying certain food items because I just lack willpower in regard to them.

I just justify it by rereading articles like http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/health/30prevention.html?_r=0
  • Nigelfightingfit
    Nigelfightingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is far too nice to give up, just limit your intake and really enjoy the small amounts you let yourself have, that makes it all the more special. Little treats are nice, I like Fingers of Fudge, Milky Way and Creme Eggs, all relatively low as an occasional treat.
    My wife also tells me eating chocolate releases the same endorphins released when we make love, maybe that's why we all like chocolate so much !
  • claireb12
    Options
    Yes, chocolate is fabulous..........anyway, I looked up one link and I'll share it with you:

http://shine.yahoo.com/5-tricks-beat-chocolate-cravings-180500893.html

You may be right to eliminate it from your house. I've had to do this with other things.
    For me, I had to not eat pasta items for a couples weeks until I could try just what is
    allowed. In the meantime, I found other things to eat instead of it and then when I
    incorporated a smaller amount of pasta, I could control the desire to go all out binging
    on it..........I mean I loved pasta so much I ate the whole box Kraft mac and choose myself
    but now I don't buy it at all. Just control myself with one cup...........sort of that idea in your
    chocolate situation.

What do you think?

Good idea, I'll have a look at the link as well.

Many thanks for your support - I need it x
  • claireb12
    Options
    Chocolate is far too nice to give up, just limit your intake and really enjoy the small amounts you let yourself have, that makes it all the more special. Little treats are nice, I like Fingers of Fudge, Milky Way and Creme Eggs, all relatively low as an occasional treat.
    My wife also tells me eating chocolate releases the same endorphins released when we make love, maybe that's why we all like chocolate so much !

Lol, no I just like the taste of chocolate. Also once I have the taste of it I want more so think I've got to go cold turkey and give it up, thank god I don't smoke, I'd be on 20 a day.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat and count chocolate every day. I buy Cadbury's dark chocolate, fruit and nut. Keep em in the freezer. Every night I get 6 squares (about a 1/4 of the entire bar). One of my biggest understandings with my weight loss (53 pounds and counting) once I hit the 40's is that I can eat whatever I want, but portion control is essential. I will never deny myself chocolate.
  • claireb12
    Options
    Have you tried chocolate-flavored foods that might satisfy the craving, like cocoa roasted almonds or chocolate yogurt/frozen yogurt? One of my favorite post-workout snacks is plain greek yogurt with chocolate flavored protein powder stirred in. It's not really particularly chocolately, unless I add cocoa, as well, but it helps trick my brain into thinking it's getting chocolate, and I love the texture; it's thick and creamy, almost like softserve.

I adore chocolate, and have a difficult time limiting my intake, so I keep whatever chocolate I am given (I try not to buy it) in the freezer so I can dole it out in pieces. I've successfully kept 1 lb of mixed chocolates in there since Valentine's day and have only eaten about 6 or 8. Out of site, out of mind, largely. When I do get into the box, I do usually end up eating more pieces than I had intended, but then I just fit in an extra long workout. I don't want to live my life without chocolate, but I can relate - I've had to stop buying certain food items because I just lack willpower in regard to them.

I just justify it by rereading articles like http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/health/30prevention.html?_r=0

Yeh I've tried them and my chocolate protein shakes seem to help as well, I think i'll just finish off the chocolate I've got this evening then that's it!!!!

I like the freezer idea though, I've not thought of that, does it spoil the chocolate though?
    Options
    Yeh I've tried them and my chocolate protein shakes seem to help as well, I think i'll just finish off the chocolate I've got this evening then that's it!!!!

I like the freezer idea though, I've not thought of that, does it spoil the chocolate though?

It doesn't seem to - the stuff I have in the freezer right now is a mixture of dark chocolate cremes, dark choc coconut, and meltaways, and they've all been fine when I've eaten them. I admit, I rarely have the patience to let them thaw all the way...

You could always try test-freezing a small piece of your favorite chocolate, just to see if it defrosts ok, that is what I usually do.
  • claireb12
    Options
    Mmmh think I'll give that a go xx thanks for the advice
    Options
    Just be cautious, I got too impatient the other day and almost broke a tooth on a solidly frozen meltaway :embarassed:
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with brownies. I did this self-hypnotic trick that I found that is taught by Paul McKenna. I completely relaxed in a room, closed my eyes and imagined a brownie in the most detailed way possible. I then imagined in great detail something really disgusting that would make you vomit if you had to eat it or even look at it long enough (think smokers hacking cough spit - sorry). I then mixed the two together in my mind, like you were mixing them in a bowl and imagine that picture for a minute.

The trick here is to imagine it so strongly that it seems real. The process should only take about 5 minutes of relaxing and then a minute of imagining the brownie (chocolate in your case), then a minute of something disgusting, then a minute of them mixed together. Really imagine these things, smell them, see the texture, notice the colour, you should feel sick to your stomach when they are mixed.

Do this for 7 days in a row.

I left a batch of brownies on the cupboard for a week after this and then threw them out, that had never happened before. I still to this day do not have any desire to eat a brownie. I have had a few over the years, but that compulsive craving is completely gone.

I'm a skeptical person and was shocked how well this worked. Be careful, it's powerful stuff and you may lose your craving forever. I guess that's a good thing.

Best of luck!
  • claireb12
    Options
    Just be cautious, I got too impatient the other day and almost broke a tooth on a solidly frozen meltaway :embarassed:

Ha ha just made me chuckle, I'm never patient :laugh:
  • claireb12
    Options
    I had a problem with brownies. I did this self-hypnotic trick that I found that is taught by Paul McKenna. I completely relaxed in a room, closed my eyes and imagined a brownie in the most detailed way possible. I then imagined in great detail something really disgusting that would make you vomit if you had to eat it or even look at it long enough (think smokers hacking cough spit - sorry). I then mixed the two together in my mind, like you were mixing them in a bowl and imagine that picture for a minute.

The trick here is to imagine it so strongly that it seems real. The process should only take about 5 minutes of relaxing and then a minute of imagining the brownie (chocolate in your case), then a minute of something disgusting, then a minute of them mixed together. Really imagine these things, smell them, see the texture, notice the colour, you should feel sick to your stomach when they are mixed.

Do this for 7 days in a row.

I left a batch of brownies on the cupboard for a week after this and then threw them out, that had never happened before. I still to this day do not have any desire to eat a brownie. I have had a few over the years, but that compulsive craving is completely gone.

I'm a skeptical person and was shocked how well this worked. Be careful, it's powerful stuff and you may lose your craving forever. I guess that's a good thing.

Best of luck!

WOW - really like the sound of this, I WILL give this a go and see if it works,x thanks for the advice