What's your reason for cutting carbs?

Options
What made you choose the low carb route and how do you feel doing it? I know my husband follows a grain free diet and explains "if I eat a piece of bread, it makes me want to eat the whole basket" and "if I eat a bite of rice, I will not want to stop". For him it was more of an addiction and removing grains alotgether helped control his appetite. What is your reason for choosing low carb?

Replies

• reneeopruitt
    reneeopruitt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For me it was about removing processed foods from my diet. I still eat some carbs, but I was trying to get away from crackers and cookies for snacks. It seems like limiting carbs helps me add more protein and veggies = healthier. Now I eat snack on veggies with hummus or cheese and turkey instead of cheese-its and rice krispie treats.
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do 20 net carbs. After eating low fat for years and never really succeeding at counting calories it was one more diet to try. I didn't know much about low carb eating. Sure, I'd heard of Atkins and some of the other big name plans but thought of it as a fad diet that wasn't really doable. One day I got the book "Fat to Skinny" about eating 20 carbs or less and thought counting to 20 seemed a whole lot easier than counting to 1500. I haven't regretted it for a moment.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    Same as your husband. I tend to binge on carbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I feel they don't fill me up as much. I still have them, but I try to have protein at the same time.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and it is the only way that keeps my blood sugars in the healthy range. I am also very sensitive to sugars and starches. They keep me fat, inflamed (joint pain), give me bladder problems and insomnia. When I control what kind of carbs I eat (veggies and dairy) I don't have those problems.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I went grain free to maximize my health, and ate around 120g carbs for a while because that's just what I ended up with at the end of the day. I since dropped that to 80g and find that I lose weight better at that point. What I have found since, is if I cheat and have stuff with grain, I will eat everything in sight.
  • stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 40 grams carbs a day. For me I feel better when I eat low carb. When I dont I feel tired and get headaches after I eat so I suspect blood sugar issues. I feel wonderful when Im on a low carb diet.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 100g a day and I feel good. I am addicted to carbs as well and it makes a huge difference for me on the scale when I eat less of them.