Reached a plateaus.... what to do?

Options
Okay so I started losing weight late last year and I've so far lost a stone and a half. However, I haven't lost anything - inches or pounds - in the last two/three months.
I've recently started the 30 day shred and have been doing a mile long run twice a week. Its very rare that I eat under 1300 calories, I normally reach my target of 1600 (so this isn't another of these 'you're not eating enough!' threads).
I only have another 10lb or so to lose... but its just not budging.
What do I do? :frown:

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm a student, so spending loadss on food isn't possible. Also I can't join a gym to start lifting weights due to money.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I always suggest taking a diet break. Set your account to maintain for a week or two and dont exercise. Then come back, set your account to 1/2 lb per week and if you are doing 30ds set your account to lightly active so you dont need to eat back exercise calories. Although on the two running days, eat an extra 200-300 calories.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    anyone else?
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear feedback too. I plan to increase water and exercise.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I always suggest taking a diet break. Set your account to maintain for a week or two and dont exercise. Then come back, set your account to 1/2 lb per week and if you are doing 30ds set your account to lightly active so you dont need to eat back exercise calories. Although on the two running days, eat an extra 200-300 calories.

Yes I agree with this reply.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Or another thing you can try is have a few heavy carb days (just 2 or 3) you may find that you put on a little weight after this, then go back to doing what you were doing.

I used to do this if I stalled and it always got things moving again.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes our bodies just kinda go through cycles when losing weight. We lose a lot, then pause as there's not as much to lose. Then it starts up again, though it may be slower (since there's less to lose).

I'd make a change in your routine--any change, really--just to "reboot" your body and keep it alert. Buy a new workout DVD with a different person. Try something new at the gym. Give yourself a challenge, like a certain distance to jog or to hike a particular trail. Do some activity that is new to you and see what happens.
  • goodenough13
    Options
    You could always try something different with your fitness. I've been looking at a lot of HIIT type workouts. They cause muscle confusion and combine cardio and strength. Most can be done without any equipment. They usually take around 20 minutes to do the routine and can be challenging.

The maintenance diet is worth trying too.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose and had a sts for the whole month of february
    so last week starting monday I started to calorie cycle - some days eating lower and some higher to bring my calories to within 10% of my weekly total - I lost weight last week so am doing the same again this week

it might be something you choose to try - afterall its closer to eat that way than stick ridgedly to a set number of calories per day
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think the one thing that prevented me from every plateauing was changing my exercise routine every 3-4 workouts. It prevents your body from falling into a routine and knowing what is going to happen. If you change up your routine frequently, it will always keep your body guessing, which will result in it having to work hard to know what to do, and to keep up.

Good luck!!
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    change what you eat and zig zag
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Yes I agree with this reply.
    Me too.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    One thing I've done is increase the intensity of the workouts and vary them. If you're used to running twice a week, add another day or try 1.5 miles. Also taking a week off then coming back has been helpful, I know when I went on a trip for work and watched what I ate but wasn't super careful or restrictive, I maintained my weight, then went right back to loosing when I got back home.

I'd say change something, or a couple things, and don't be afraid to turn up the amount of work. I wouldn't try to run faster, just longer distances and more often. That's really helped me a lot.