Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    oh, speaking of bikini girls on 1200 cals.

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

She is a 52 year old incredibly lean woman who is also about 100lb (if I recall correctly)....context.

Exactly... that is the context I've been saying for this whole thread. Older and petite... she is both. 1200 is too low for me, but not for her!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

She is a 52 year old incredibly lean woman....context.
    She eats 1200 calories a day. Doesn't this prove it CAN work? The lady is 52 so not a young one with a high metabolism due to young age. I think this is a good example. BTW, she is beautiful. Kudos to her.

Of course it CAN work. But at what cost? You'll lose weight at 1200 calories, did anyone dispute that?

If she is still on 1,200, then that would be what she is maintaining on unless she is cutting. Seems low even for her age and size. Maybe her metabolism is suppressed.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

She eats 1200 calories a day. Doesn't this prove it CAN work? The lady is 52 so not a young one with a high metabolism due to young age. I think this is a good example. BTW, she is beautiful. Kudos to her.

Of course it CAN work. But at what cost? You'll lose weight at 1200 calories, did anyone dispute that?
    Check out her pics. The link is a few threads up. check out her diary. She maintains 100 lbs body weight at 1200 calories. And that is the best body I have seen on here for a female.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just really don't understand what is wrong with 1200 calories a day. If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts. If you are eating correctly then you can eat more food than most ppl bc there is very little calories in veggies and fruits. A whole head of cauliflower is something like under 60 calories.

If you are a man 6'4 and play basketball 5 nights a week then 1200 is not good for you.

This thread is assuming that EVERYONE is the same body type, body weight and has the same goals. If you want to lose then you make a deficit and if 1200 calories is what calculates to work for you then that is what works for you.

I wanted to lose weight for a trip to Jamaica so I ate 1,000 to 1100 a day and lost 20 lbs. I worked out daily.

last night half of you here were arguing that it is about calories in and calories out in the "is bread fattening thread". What happened to that theory? If you aren't burning, you need to cut what you eat and reduce calories.

More so though it is about WHAT you eat vs how much. So many do not understand that concept though. So many mislead people.

I'm afraid you've missed the whole point.

The 5'1" lightly active female and the 6'4" male heavily active male will most certainly have different energy expenditures, so will thrive on different calorie intakes.

The point of the thread, to state the obvious, is that people should set their calories based on energy expenditure, not on some blind 1200 calorie dogma.

Quite a trivial concept really. It's astonishing that this thread has drawn such hostility.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Check out her pics. The link is a few threads up. check out her diary. She maintains 100 lbs body weight at 1200 calories. And that is the best body I have seen on here for a female.

"BEST" is subjective--I've been just as lean and guess what? I'm paying for it now. Anyone in their reproductive years who starves themselves to that level of leanness will no longer menstruate and have serious endocrine problems. Sorry, not worth it. Been there, done that, and still dealing with the consequences.

and edited to add...I was still eating more than 1200 calories when I did it.
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started eating 900 calories a day. I am 4'11". I did it for a few months and although I lost weight I was sooooooo miserable, depressed, tired, bad skin and constantly hungry. Plus a rubbish example to my children to healthy eating habits. I've read up on TDEE etc and now on 1500 calories a day, watching my macros, fuelling my workouts and man, I am loving it! No more mood swings, depression and definitely no more hunger! But lots of sweet new defined shape coming through and gradual, long-term weight loss :)
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I find it fascinating to see so many people get so defensive about their 1200 calorie diet. If it's the right thing for you to be doing then there is no need to defend it. How much I eat is my business. How I choose to change my life style is also my business. I do read the posts in the forums to better educate myself but I see no reason whatsoever to defend what I do. I just do it. I adjust it when I need to. I try different things to see what effect they have on me. And I just do it.

And it's NOT fascinating to see 1200 calorie dieters attacked for no reason at all? If you think it's wrong, don't do it! But there's no need for this CONSTANT DRUMBEAT which totally ignores the differences in SIZE, AGE, GENDER, ACTIVITY LEVEL between people and just tarnishes everyone who is happy with 1200 cals alike.

The Op did not attack 1200 calorie dieters. Those 1200 dieters that are posting here got highly defensive. When I first started here it set my calories to 1210 a day. If I had not been working out as much as I was I would have gone hungry. I have since upped it twice. I'm only 5'3" and I do not use that as a reason as to why I should eat less. I don't have a love-hate relationship with food. I have only tried to lose weight once before when I had a special sporting event. I started that over 18 months before hand because I knew that it had to be sustainable. I was successful then as I will be now. Injury and surgery are the only reasons I put weight back on.

My point is, why get defensive if you feel that it's the right thing to do? Why do you justify why it works? My diary would not suit everyone. I know that. And I don't care. I will have no long term health problems, my life style will be sustainable and I am happy with what I do. If you know that to be true of your choice to eat at 1200 calories WHY explain or justify it? Does other people's opinions or views really matter so much?

I guess because I am not defending such a diet I see that the so called name callers and diet bashers have actually posted some fairly neutral posts. Very informative and supportive. So when you get all upset and have a hissy fit about this post let me ask you this: Why are you so upset?
  • taso42
    Options
    Is there a doctor in the house? Is there a nutritionist in the house? No? Neither? Then shutup! Most of you (like me) are here because you are fat or used to be fat. You are not expert. You are an expert of you. The tone of this thread from the start does not come off as helpful or useful, unless you're a friend/fan of the OP and enjoy knocking down others who are trying - maybe they're not trying your way or the right way but they are trying.

However, kudos to the OP for stirring the pot and bringing out the real crazy, snarky, know- it-alls,,,,,Funny, because he really didn't say anything negative and actually shared some good info but presentation is everything....for that you FAIL....

Oh, do we need to hold doctorate degrees now to able to grok simple concepts? Have you ever balanced a checkbook? How did you do that without a PhD in mathematics? Ever changed your own motor oil... without going to a vocational school to become a certified automotive technician?

I'm not sure you're in a position to call other people failures.

It's douche-y post from the start.....

I've only basically skimmed the 20 or so pages that this has grown to. But you're the third person (that i've noticed) to insult me in this thread. Thanks for your judgement and insults.

Good luck with your diet and fitness goals.
  • rm7161
    Options

"BEST" is subjective--I've been just as lean and guess what? I'm paying for it now. Anyone in their reproductive years who starves themselves to that level of leanness will no longer menstruate and have serious endocrine problems. Sorry, not worth it. Been there, done that, and still dealing with the consequences.

52 years old is not reproductive years. Older women who are petite have lower calorie requirements... just a fact.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories and lost 68 pounds. I am very healthy in fact I signed up to take a 10 day pledge to cut out processed food which I start on the 13th. we don't know the people who are eating 1200 calories and we are not in their shoes. we don't know there situation, what medical issues they have etc. so we really have no right to judge them.
    The OP had absolutely nothing to do with judging people who set a 1200 calorie goal. It has to do with making people aware that it is very common for people to believe that 1200 is the right number for them, when in many of those cases it really isn't a good number for them. The result is that they end up frustrated, hungry, feel sick, and unable to keep losing weight, and they think it is all their own fault, when in fact it's just that their goal was misguided.

So the OP says "1200 isn't a good idea for many people" and then some people chime in saying it works for them. Exactly. That's what "some" means. If you discover it works for you, then hooray for you. If it doesn't work for you, then you are likely to find that there is a way that does work for you, and it's very likely to involve eating more than 1200 calories a day.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that Taso and Coach Reddy are actually agreeing with each other on this thread shows how much win is contained in the OP.
    :drinker:
  • taso42
    Options
    I think the fact that Taso and Coach Reddy are actually agreeing with each other on this thread shows how much win is contained in the OP.

My theory is that we are actually more alike and in agreement than we seem to think.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

52 years old is not reproductive years.

Nor did I say it was. I said that for someone in their reproductive years they CANNOT aspire to that without severe consequences--sure you can cause thyroid dysfunction, adrenal fatigue, and any other issues you find worth it but TO ME health is much more important than looking "like the best female on MFP."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

She was a big defender of 1200, but looking at her diary, she's eating 1400-1500 on the days I looked.

I have a freakish memory for this sort of thing, but I remember she said her lean mass was 104 pounds, which at 12%BF would put her at about 118 pounds.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

My theory is that we are actually more alike and in agreement than we seem to think.

i think you're probably right. lol
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump...to read later
  • rm7161
    Options

She was a big defender of 1200, but looking at her diary, she's eating 1400-1500 on the days I looked.

I have a freakish memory for this sort of thing, but I remember she said her lean mass was 104 pounds, which at 12%BF would put her at about 118 pounds.

yea, when you go to maintain its not unusual to up it. But I am pretty certain she was down there when cutting.

Anyway... that's the kind of person I am talking about. Someone small and older. Not everyone.
  • kvltcat
    kvltcat Posts: 6
    Options
    bravo! :drinker:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I got to page 11 of the thread before losing the will to live and eating a chunky peanut butter Kitkat.

I'm going straight to hell....