Exercise calories: To eat or not to eat?

Options
So I wonder, do you HAVE to eat your exercise calories or is it optional, like a "Oh wow! You worked out today! You can have these extra calories to treat yourself if you want, but you don't have to." type thing? I really have no clue.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I wonder, do you HAVE to eat your exercise calories or is it optional, like a "Oh wow! You worked out today! You can have these extra calories to treat yourself if you want, but you don't have to." type thing? I really have no clue.
    BTW, do you want to keep your muscle or not? You workout so you can eat more and be fit. So if you want a tighter body and definition at some point and probably limit saggy skin, yes, you should eat them back.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

If you calculated your calorie goal assuming you'd be sedentary, then yes.

If you calculated your calorie goal already factoring in exercise, then no.

Personally I calculate my calorie goal assuming no exercise, then add in exercise, because my exercise is highly unpredictable.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options

HA HA HA!! Omg, that's so funny! Sorry XD Didn't even notice. And here I though I was being all original. Imma go cry now ;P
  • nicolemtracy
    Options
    BTW, do you want to keep your muscle or not? You workout so you can eat more and be fit. So if you want a tighter body and definition at some point and probably limit saggy skin, yes, you should eat them back.

What muscle? ;) I'm just focusing on cardio to help lose some of this weight and see if I can find my muscles under it, I'll start building them up once I find them. :) My other problem is I think my elliptical is lying to me. I'm actually tempted to call the company and ask. On level 9 it says I lost 1004 calories today... That seems like an awful lot, but maybe it could be a good guesstimate considering I need to factor in speed and resistance??? Idk. If it is accurate I'm slightly mortified at the idea of eating 1000 extra calories because of it! D:
  • nicolemtracy
    Options

Personally I calculate my calorie goal assuming no exercise, then add in exercise, because my exercise is highly unpredictable.

Makes sense. I don't want to factor in exercise either in case one day I wake up sicker than a dog or just extremely lazy and don't work out. ;P
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Makes sense. I don't want to factor in exercise either in case one day I wake up sicker than a dog or just extremely lazy and don't work out. ;P

Yeah, that's why I don't :laugh:

I just want credit for the calories I've burned that day and that's it.
  • j4zepedajj
    Options
    No, you have a target Calorie intake and protein intake... The exercise is to help you burn fat and add muscle. Remember there are 3000 calories in 1 pound of fat and 2500 calories in 1 pound of muscle... to lose weight you have to burn and lower your calorie intake.. and increase your protein intake (which adds calories, but they are good clean energy giving calories)... so a rule of thumb is to hit your target calorie intake and then subtract your workout calories from that... at the end of the week the closer you get to the 3000 calorie mark.. the more weight you'll lose...
  • tgfain
    tgfain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor that tells me exactly how many calories I am burning during my workouts. I used to go by my treadmill but it was completely off from what I was actually burning. My friend got me into using it and she is a huge health nut.
  • psuLemon
    Options

What muscle? ;) I'm just focusing on cardio to help lose some of this weight and see if I can find my muscles under it, I'll start building them up once I find them. :) My other problem is I think my elliptical is lying to me. I'm actually tempted to call the company and ask. On level 9 it says I lost 1004 calories today... That seems like an awful lot, but maybe it could be a good guesstimate considering I need to factor in speed and resistance??? Idk. If it is accurate I'm slightly mortified at the idea of eating 1000 extra calories because of it! D:

While you may lose a little more weight doing just cardio, you will end up losing more muscle. I would highly suggest doing 3 days of full body weight training and 3 days of cardio. You will see much greater changes in body composition this way.. aka, muscle preservation and greater fat loss. Also, weight training provides so many more benefits to women.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I did not eat back my exercise calories. I was fine and didn't starve.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No, you have a target Calorie intake and protein intake... The exercise is to help you burn fat and add muscle. Remember there are 3000 calories in 1 pound of fat and 2500 calories in 1 pound of muscle... to lose weight you have to burn and lower your calorie intake.. and increase your protein intake (which adds calories, but they are good clean energy giving calories)... so a rule of thumb is to hit your target calorie intake and then subtract your workout calories from that... at the end of the week the closer you get to the 3000 calorie mark.. the more weight you'll lose...

There is 3500 calories in a lb of fat, not 3000. And that can be done by eating 500 calories a day less than you burn.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    MFP already works a deficit into your calorie limit so you will lose weight even if you don't exercise so If you have used MFP to calculate how many calories you should eat in a day then you need to eat at least some of the calories back (on big burn days that can be difficult, but shoot for at least 50%) otherwise you are going below your BMR (the amount of calories your body burns in a day not counting exercise) and if you do that on a regular basis you can go into starvation mode and stop losing weight. In general it is believed MFP sets calories limits to low so the alternative is just to up your calorie limit a couple hundred every day (you can set it manually) and then don't eat your calories back. I find that is sometimes easier to plan for.
  • iscootjg
    iscootjg Posts: 2
    Options

Weight training revs your metabolism for hours after you do it. Not to mention that the more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you burn at rest. And for me it's nice to see the tone muscle coming through the fat:) I would hate to lose the rest of my weight and still not look fit.
  • isayweloseit
    Options
    3000 calories in 1 pound of fat? I did NOT know that, thanks!!
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat mine and I'm losing weight every week. I'm very much like you in that I do all cardio and I'll work on my muscles when they appear! Haha! :)
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to eat them, if you have already worked out your calories to include any working out that you will be doing, like I have, then you just eat that amount of calories. But if you feel like a treat then you can always have something. won't hurt as long as its not a constant thing.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

While you may lose a little more weight doing just cardio, you will end up losing more muscle. I would highly suggest doing 3 days of full body weight training and 3 days of cardio. You will see much greater changes in body composition this way.. aka, muscle preservation and greater fat loss. Also, weight training provides so many more benefits to women.

I was thinking the same thing. You have to build muscle even in the beginning because doing just cardio will cause muscle loss. Plus, having more muscle raises your metabolism hence the weight will come off faster. It's a win win. I you wait for the fat to come off, there won't be toned muscle under the fat and you could have lots of sagging...
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat mine and I'm losing weight every week. I'm very much like you in that I do all cardio and I'll work on my muscles when they appear! Haha! :)

If they appear.
  • Ralphoo
    Ralphoo Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand, but the muscles are still under there!