Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    As a former anorexic, it can sometimes be quite triggering seeing people on 1200, that much I will say. What I could do then, I could not do now. Apart from the fact, I am 5'10 tall and am pretty sure 1200 would be pretty detrimental for me. I feel fortunate that I have never been overweight, even during times when I did eat what I felt like eating, and did little exercise. Goodness knows what my bodyfat % would have been though. I often feel uncomfortable when I finish logging my day and have my usual 1900-2300 total, and see those on my list with their 1200-1300 total, I imagine many with ed tendencies get the same issue. You do start thinking, maybe I can eat a lot less and be comfortable and satiated too, if they can. But I workout intensely doing both HIIT, running, circuits with weights, walking and intervals on the elliptical, so unless I went back to my old regime of just walking, I could never hope to be comfortable on 1200.

Even on 2000, with my exercise, I still get hungry. And that is eating a lot of vegetables, sweet potatoes,beans, lean meat and greek yoghurt, and such healthy options. Sometimes I find myself thinking, maybe I should try to do 1200 in a way that I dont get hungry, just to see what happens. But I dropped down to 123 Ibs when I was on 1900-2000 calories a day and just cycling so yeah.

I would never tell someone to eat more, but I do think a lot of people on 1200 calorie diets are doing themselves a disservice and could eat more and lose weight just fine.

Agreed. 100%. And I'm only 4'11.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Oh no...I hope you don't call my Mom too.....this whole negative thread should be reported.

Uh... this whole "negative thread" is about using the website as it was intended to be used. MFP won't go below 1200 and encourages people who exercise to eat more than that.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

well THIS I agree with on every level. If you hate counting calories, don't do it. If you hate having caloric parameters, don't give yourself parameters.

but then the question you have to ask yourself is: am I getting all the NUTRIENTS I need? Forget calories. But for example, on your 700 cal day you got very very little calcium or iron. How do you make up for that? To be honest - I think your way of eating is a great one if you make sure to eat a balanced diet of lean meats (do you eat meat?), fish, veggies and fruits, with a few grains thrown in if you want. If THOSE are the only foods you eat, then you simply don't HAVE to count calories - you just eat when you're hungry. But it's the concept of eating as little as possible that I can't wrap my brain around. If you're eating good foods - which it looks like you generally are - then eat when you're hungry, eat till your full, and continue seeing the weight loss and having those good feelings!

I do eat meat once a week. I also eat a weekly meal with a lot of hummus in order to get more iron. And I take a multivitamin.

I do have to pay attention. If I just eat at will, I will gain weight. And this is where these threads get a little frustrating, you are in no position to tell me otherwise.

The solution for me is to shoot as low as possible and always have room to pig out if I want to. I've been trying stuff for three years. Three years of trying to figure out how I can lose weight and be happy at the same time. I have found something.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?

Exactly and his response to any one calling him on it is as smug as the post in the first place......

Reported this one too. Hopefully that will be strike 2 for you.

Not exactly sure why you seem to have a personal beef (no pun intended) with me.

Oh no...I hope you don't call my Mom too.....this whole negative thread should be reported.

Another helpful reply from you. You're on a roll here, adding all sorts of value along the way.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I remember my doctor, despite me being obese, actively discouraging a 'diet' on the basis that 90% of people who diet gain the weight back in 5 years. Instead he recommended small lifestyle changes - more general 'moving around', less alcohol and simply making healthy food choices more often than unhealthy ones.

Now I wonder - if the statistic he gave is correct I wonder if any studies have been done on what the 10% who kept the weight off after 5 years did versus what the 90% who failed to keep it off did. You see the oddest thing is that from my observations of people I know, the fatter the person, the more diets (and the more extreme the diets) they've done in the past - and I count myself in that unfortunately.

I'd argue (and this is just my opinion) that people who try "diets" are trying to find short cuts. they're trying to figure out the "secret" to losing weight without "giving up" their favorite foods (you've seen those commercials 50 times a day), but then get caught up in the points or the calorie counting or whatever the particular gimmick of the diet is.

I'm not going to derail this thread with more of an explanation - but what you're talking about is why I advocate whole food diets
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    When I first joined my calorie goal was 1200 (for all of about a month) it was because I set myself to sedentary and selected 2 pounds a week., without doing any research as to what my actual caloric or nutritional needs should be.

I did, thankfully, realize that I was supposed to eat my exercise calories. Which was pretty easy to figure out, seeings how MFP always added them to my daily goal and all.

But when the only time I lost two pounds in a week was when I had the stomach flu, I realized that maybe if I'm only going to lose a pound a week, I should just SET the calories to a pound a week. And while I'm at it, rather than logging every time I walk the dog or run the sweeper as "exercise," I should just bump myself up to lightly active and only record actual exercise as exercise. And the first few weeks I did that, I lost 1.5 pounds a week instead of the predicted one pound.

After that, I was a convert.
    Same here. When I recorded things like walking dogs or vacuuming, I didn't lose. Then I counted REAL exercise only and I lost.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    When I first joined my calorie goal was 1200 (for all of about a month) it was because I set myself to sedentary and selected 2 pounds a week., without doing any research as to what my actual caloric or nutritional needs should be.

I did, thankfully, realize that I was supposed to eat my exercise calories. Which was pretty easy to figure out, seeings how MFP always added them to my daily goal and all.

But when the only time I lost two pounds in a week was when I had the stomach flu, I realized that maybe if I'm only going to lose a pound a week, I should just SET the calories to a pound a week. And while I'm at it, rather than logging every time I walk the dog or run the sweeper as "exercise," I should just bump myself up to lightly active and only record actual exercise as exercise. And the first few weeks I did that, I lost 1.5 pounds a week instead of the predicted one pound.

After that, I was a convert.
    Same here. When I recorded things like walking dogs or vacuuming, I didn't lose. Then I counted REAL exercise and I lost.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For those who mentioned CaliforniaGirl2012. She defends people's rights to eat at a calorie deficit that is appropriate for them. Because she is older and very short, she DID have to eat at a lower calorie level to lose her weight.
    The reason you no longer see her on here, is that some people were tired of her sharing her success story on here and admitting that she ate at 1200, and constantly reported her for spamming and for advocating unhealthy diet practices. She eventually 'struck out' and is permanently banned from posting on the open forums.

You must have missed the post where she admitted that she was starving a lot of the time, and wished she could eat more.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

well THIS I agree with on every level. If you hate counting calories, don't do it. If you hate having caloric parameters, don't give yourself parameters.

but then the question you have to ask yourself is: am I getting all the NUTRIENTS I need? Forget calories. But for example, on your 700 cal day you got very very little calcium or iron. How do you make up for that? To be honest - I think your way of eating is a great one if you make sure to eat a balanced diet of lean meats (do you eat meat?), fish, veggies and fruits, with a few grains thrown in if you want. If THOSE are the only foods you eat, then you simply don't HAVE to count calories - you just eat when you're hungry. But it's the concept of eating as little as possible that I can't wrap my brain around. If you're eating good foods - which it looks like you generally are - then eat when you're hungry, eat till your full, and continue seeing the weight loss and having those good feelings!

I do eat meat once a week. I also eat a weekly meal with a lot of hummus in order to get more iron. And I take a multivitamin.

I do have to pay attention. If I just eat at will, I will gain weight. And this is where these threads get a little frustrating, you are in no position to tell me otherwise.

The solution for me is to shoot as low as possible and always have room to pig out if I want to. I've been trying stuff for three years. Three years of trying to figure out how I can lose weight and be happy at the same time. I have found something.

i apologize that you're getting frustrated - so we won't keep at it. but just consider this. If it turns out this thing you've found that keeps you happy (totally important and I get that) causes you to be nutrient-deficient - which can weaken your immune system, along with pretty much any other system in the body - is it worth it? or maybe worth working a big more to find a good balance?

you don't have to answer, and we don't have to keep after it here, but just something to consider.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    So the latest from Expert Taso before that thread locked was "why the hostility?" He thinks he was merely advocating for people to pick their own calorie amts rather than go by "dogma." Yet all he said in his OP was the title: "Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?"

Doesn't that sound a tad hostile to the idea that 1200 could be right for ANYBODY?

Exactly and his response to any one calling him on it is as smug as the post in the first place......

Not exactly sure why you seem to have a personal beef (no pun intended) with me.

Another helpful reply from you. You're on a roll here, adding all sorts of value along the way.
    Leave him alone. The fighting doesn't get anyone anywhere and it clogs the thread. Please grow up and put him on ignore. I hope he does the same. I don't put up with childishness on here any longer. Anything negative and they go on ignore. If they are negative and immature once, I find they do it in every thread.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?

It works for me, and gives me enough good food to eat, plus snacks. I am 61, not terribly overweight, not very active, and female. This is the amt. I need to eat in order to lose weight. I HAVE eaten more-- that's why I have a weight issue! So, is this OK with you?

I'm also 61, and 1200 net calories worked great to get my excess weight off. I reached my goal a year ago and started maintenance, but I hopped off the wagon during the holidays and need to get back on before I grow out of my new clothes. I didn't keep my large clothing. Maybe older women don't need as many calories? Everyone is different.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

can I ask you: why did you choose 1200 cal?

It works for me, and gives me enough good food to eat, plus snacks. I am 61, not terribly overweight, not very active, and female. This is the amt. I need to eat in order to lose weight. I HAVE eaten more-- that's why I have a weight issue! So, is this OK with you?

I'm also 61, and 1200 net calories worked great to get my excess weight off. I reached my goal a year ago and started maintenance, but I hopped off the wagon during the holidays and need to get back on before I grow out of my new clothes. I didn't keep my large clothing. Maybe older women don't need as many calories? Everyone is different.

this is true - older folks in general don't need as many calories as we young'ns.
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As a former anorexic, it can sometimes be quite triggering seeing people on 1200, that much I will say. What I could do then, I could not do now. Apart from the fact, I am 5'10 tall and am pretty sure 1200 would be pretty detrimental for me. I feel fortunate that I have never been overweight, even during times when I did eat what I felt like eating, and did little exercise. Goodness knows what my bodyfat % would have been though. I often feel uncomfortable when I finish logging my day and have my usual 1900-2300 total, and see those on my list with their 1200-1300 total, I imagine many with ed tendencies get the same issue. You do start thinking, maybe I can eat a lot less and be comfortable and satiated too, if they can. But I workout intensely doing both HIIT, running, circuits with weights, walking and intervals on the elliptical, so unless I went back to my old regime of just walking, I could never hope to be comfortable on 1200.

Even on 2000, with my exercise, I still get hungry. And that is eating a lot of vegetables, sweet potatoes,beans, lean meat and greek yoghurt, and such healthy options. Sometimes I find myself thinking, maybe I should try to do 1200 in a way that I dont get hungry, just to see what happens. But I dropped down to 123 Ibs when I was on 1900-2000 calories a day and just cycling so yeah.

I would never tell someone to eat more, but I do think a lot of people on 1200 calorie diets are doing themselves a disservice and could eat more and lose weight just fine.

I feel like I kinda have ED tendencies when it comes to counting. Even before starting here I had done calorie counts and only came up 1000-1400 before I even knew what I was doing. I feel like yeah I could eat more but I still feel ok with 1200-1400 and if I do get hungry I'll just snack on fruit or something healthy. I don't exercise as much as you plus I think height and build has a lot to do with the number of calories people eat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Leave him alone. The fighting doesn't get anyone anywhere and it clogs the thread. Please grow up and put him on ignore. I hope he does the same. I don't put up with childishness on here any longer. Anything negative and they go on ignore. If they are negative and immature once, I find they do it in every thread.

great idea. i've never used the ignore feature before, but i'll make an exception for you sunny summer
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Don't worry, I'm out....I promise. My only point/problem here and with the boards in general is that shaming someone or making someone feel stupid about the way they are trying to get themselves to a healthy weight isn't helpful. Peace and love, peace and love...
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

i apologize that you're getting frustrated - so we won't keep at it. but just consider this. If it turns out this thing you've found that keeps you happy (totally important and I get that) causes you to be nutrient-deficient - which can weaken your immune system, along with pretty much any other system in the body - is it worth it? or maybe worth working a big more to find a good balance?

you don't have to answer, and we don't have to keep after it here, but just something to consider.

I am fine to continue if you would just refrain from telling me how I will respond to certain eating plans.

I do consider nutrition. As I said, I am going as low as I comfortably can. If I saw signs of malnutrition, I would eat more. I'm frankly quite surprised at how well I'm doing at such low calories. But I am definitely responding very well to it. There are people who fast regularly to great effect. So I don't think I am an outlier.

But I may be.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

Soooooo...why didn't you just press "ignore" rather than "post reply"?
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I'd argue (and this is just my opinion) that people who try "diets" are trying to find short cuts. they're trying to figure out the "secret" to losing weight without "giving up" their favorite foods (you've seen those commercials 50 times a day), but then get caught up in the points or the calorie counting or whatever the particular gimmick of the diet is.

I'm not going to derail this thread with more of an explanation - but what you're talking about is why I advocate whole food diets

I'd say that you are most likely right. For me the food was actually wine. I used to joke that my dinner came with a cork in it. I've had to cut way, way back.

Whole foods. Well 90% of the time I eat 'clean' these days because of my politics really. I believe in integrity of the food chain, knowing provenance, supporting local food producers rather than monster corporations and paying mind to animal welfare (free range, slaughtered locally) and the environment (I.e seasonal food rather than eating stuff flown half-way round the world.) From that ethos you do end up in a place where food isn't very processed - grains are whole, meat is pasture fed, veg is preferably homegrown/foraged or at the very least local and seasonal.

Of course the other 10% of the time I'll eat something mass produced or particularly crap in the nutritional department but then I'm a long way from perfect.

What I'm spectacularly crap at is exercise. Other than walking I get very little exercise and am so weak that my 68yr old Mother says "Don't be silly dear" when I offer to carry her suitcase in when she visits. I know I'm going to need to do some strength stuff....though the total lack of a gym where I live and my spare house space stacked out with sick/sleeping hedgehogs does make me wonder how to go about it (lifting hedgehogs probably won't get me too far)
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...I am doing that...not in disagreement at all. Trying to learn all I can and am willing to change things up and try what's been found to work for others here.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'll answer the "why 1200" question.

I spent most of my life very fit. I gained weight a couple times in chunks due to surgery/pregnancy & surgery/surgery. When I finally got around to trying to lose weight, I went to weight watchers with a friend. At first I did the points system but quickly found that logging everything was tedious and I wasn't losing weight. I switched to their "core" program which basically involves eating clean focused primarily lean meats and veggies an occasional serving of whole grain, eating until satisfied and no logging. I had great success, I lost 50 pounds in 6 months (including the time I spent not losing weight while trying to count points). I occasionally logged my food just to get a guestimate of where I was calorie wise. I found it was usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 calories. I stopped trying to lose weight when I hit my initial goal and things in my life had become much more hectic. I maintained for 4 years. Then I got divorced and moved and ended up eating at restaurants or fast food most of the time which caused me to gain over the course of six months. I gained back maybe 10-15 lbs during that time and I started working out with a personal trainer to get some new ideas mixed in with what I had been doing for quite a while. He recommended I eat 1800 calories a day (TDEE -15%) to lose weight. Over the course of 3 months, I gained a few pounds. I cut down to 1500 calories and was losing some weight. It was painfully slow and I found myself starting to not log things some days and generally not caring on a daily basis. I remembered my success with weight watchers and I started to eat more of what I wanted when I wanted sticking to healthy veggies, lean meats, and some whole grains. I logged all of this. At first I overly restricted and logged really low weeks, as I got more into it, my averages started to get to much closer to 1100-1200. I was losing appropriate amounts of weight, I felt satisfied all the time. I started looking into macros, etc... and worked a lot harder on making sure I was hitting my protein and fat minimums plus healthy veggies keep me over on my vitamin percentages on a regular basis. I've only been on MFP since mid Jan (this has a better food database than most other trackers I've found) but had been losing weight consistently (except Decemer of last year 2 birthdays including mine and Christmas) for about 5 months. I had a DXA scan done at the beginning and then one done about a month ago all my numbers look good.

For me, the key is balance. I have been lifting heavy for the better part of 15 years, the last thing I want to do is lose LBM. At the same time, I know that if my weight loss is too slow, I will get to the point where I just don't log things and lose some of the accountability I have to myself right now to. I basically eat healthy foods intuitively and log them all to maintain my accountability to myself. I have never had much trouble maintaining my weight (whatever that weight is) but I have had trouble losing it. 1200 isn't set in stone, there are plenty of days that I go over by several hundred calories and conversely, there are just as many days that I go under by several hundred. It averages out for me.

I'm 29, 5'7'', 166 lbs, 24.7% body fat. I will get another DXA scan done when I get to where my goal weight should be 147-150 for 18-20% body fat. I'll start bumping my calories up as I get closer to goal until I find my maintenance calories. I have been keeping really good logs and can probably get a pretty good estimate of my TDEE using that.