Insanity Workout and Shoes

Options
Hello Everyone! I have just finished my first week of Insanity and more than the body soreness - my feet are killing me during the workout. I have a fairly new pair of Nike Crosstrainers and the lateral support and stability is just not there. Does anyone have any suggestions on shoes?

Any tips for Insanity would be great too!

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• MarciaMae
    MarciaMae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are brave for taking on Insanity. I did it a couple years ago and it kicked my butt. Remembering back, I had problems with finding shoes too. I bought a pair of cross trainers just for Insanity, but eventually discovered my runners were better. The more cushion the better. With all the jumping, just try to remember to land soft with every landing. One thing that really helped me get through Insanity and something I'd do again, I charted the reps I did with every exercise (goal reps) and posted it where I could see it when I attempted each circuit. It really gave me something to work towards, it motivated me knowing how many more reps I had til the next exercise. Good luck!!
  • kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I am one week into it and didn't realize I had certain muscles =) sore...sore...sore! But, it is a good kinda sore. I will try runners with some serious cushion to see if that helps. Thanks again.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My standby shoes for insanity were new balance cross trainers. I tried some nikes too - and my feet were sliding all over the place. NOT ok when you're doing cardio circuits!!
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I did Insanity someone suggested I get a pair of Vibram Fivefinger (barefoot) shoes. They look like toe socks but they're shoes. I use them for any dvd workout I do now. I love them.They're so comfortable, and I don't have sore heels and ankles I get from rubbing in normal sports shoes.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just received 2 foot massage balls from amazon. My arch's throb during and after each workout. I use K-swiss zig zags now but thinking about the bare foots as well I heard good things about them.
  • kastlekonmama2012
    Options
    Thanks! The majority of the Nike is made of the mesh material and my foot slides continuously! Especially when I am doing the side to side movements.
  • kastlekonmama2012
    Options
    I have actually tried doing the workout sans shoes seeing if that helped and it did with the lateral stability but obviously no cushion. What kind of cushion do those shoes have? When you're doing the jumping does it give you enough cushion? Thanks so much.
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nike Shox always give me the best support while exercising! The "Shock" actually supports you and makes landing on your feet much less intense.
  • kastlekonmama2012
    Options
    Thanks. That is what I have and they are great for everything but the side to side movements. It might just be a defective shoe set
    =(
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It might sound weird, but I was having the same problem and a friend suggested I go barefoot.

It worked like a charm. My body naturally adjusted the movements so that I wouldn't put too much pressure on my foot in the jumps, and I never had problems throughout the rest of Insanity. Just make sure you are using a mat to absorb some impact.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For me theres plenty of cushioning in them, jumping in them and going side to side quickly, your feet dont slip around like with normal shoes.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do insanity barefoot.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Either go barefoot or wear court shoes - tennis, basketball, cross trainers. Running shoes are a NO NO, I don't care how lightweight they feel, they do not have enough support and you will injure yourself if you are not careful.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I have just finished my first week of Insanity and more than the body soreness - my feet are killing me during the workout. I have a fairly new pair of Nike Crosstrainers and the lateral support and stability is just not there. Does anyone have any suggestions on shoes?

Any tips for Insanity would be great too!

Thank you :smile:

Running shoes didnt cut it for me. A really nice set of COURT shoes. Just like the last poster stated. Need stability and shock absorption. I prefer tennis shoes as basketball ones would be a bit clunky.

Seriously? Barefoot? No way, I sweat way too much and would slip on it and break something.
  • Piksika
    Piksika Posts: 1
    Options
    I train with my Nike Freerun 5.0 shoes and I don't have any problems. I did 2 weeks of insanity but then I went skiing for a week so today I am doing it from day 1 :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use Adipure 360 trainer shoes by Adidas
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether or not you need the added stability assistance, I would go with either New Balance 871s (which have immense amounts of stability assistance) or New Balance Minimus's (which are more of a minimalist shoe). Not everyone needs the added stability of some cross trainers, and if you don't you will find it can hurt more than help.
  • brydo86
    brydo86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am onto week 2 of insanity, I have been working out with a gym mat and at times bare feet. If I wear trainers then I go for New Balance cross trainers.

I have been making sure to have whey protein at the start of day and directly after the workout which I find helps a lot with soreness and recovery.

How does everyone find it? Do you stick to the nutrition guide? I struggle to eat my daily caloric needs but have found that I have lost approx 4lbs in the first week, eager for the next 7!!
  • kastlekonmama2012
    Options
    I have had numerous people say the same. I think I am going to try it out after I buy a nice thick mat =) Thanks!