I would love to hear success stories from clean eaters

Options
I am starting this on Wednesday 3/13/13 . Tuesday is when i go shopping for the organic foods at the store. I will be doing The Maker's diet by Jordan S Rubin who also encourages eating as close to natural as possible. cut out processed foods. When I shop there will be no processed foods/ snack purchases.

I would love to hear your success stories how this lifestyle change works for you. any tips and advice on the changes as I transition from the processed garbage to the clean eating.

Replies

• linalovekitty
    Options
    Eating clean causes me zero water retention and keeps me regular. Those two things combined make a world of difference- no bloating, swelling, general feeling of being slimmer.

I used to get so bloated eating junk even in small amounts. Now instead of having 100calories of Doritos as a treat, I have 100 calories worth of organic unprocessed fresh crackers, for example. Doritos would cause me to swell, but the crackers just taste good and done hurt me.
    I also find that I require far less food to feel satiated than I used to. In the past when eating processed food I could easily eat 2500 calories.day and have room for more. Now I am plenty satisfied at 1500-1700, and I just started.

I also feel that I can eat a wider variety of food when its clean. tonight for dinner I ate all organic

1 cup organic pasta with veggies in it
    a 3 oz breaded veal cutlet
    1/4 cup caprese salad
    2 prawns sauteed lightly in olive oil w herbs
    1 dark chocolate Godiva

I eat two meals a day that look like this ^^^^^ and feel great, not weighed down at all. I wont need to eat again today bc it will keep me full until tomorrow a, and I ate this at 5pm. In between meals all I eat are raw organic veggies/fruit which really boil down to 1-2 apples/day and some celery

Now if I ate the same type of food in but in a processed fashion like ` 1 cup of kraft mac and cheese, a hotdog, a salad w artifical dressing, 2 frozen dinner shrimp, and one oreo- Id get bloated, still be hungry and need to eat more. even if the calories were about equal to the clean food. The oreo would make me crave more oreos, whereas with the Godiva is natural and satisfies my sweet tooth plenty.

with the clean food, I dont feel like I have to cut out food groups **my own experience**. I eat organic fresh pasta and I feel wonderful. One cup is plenty, generous at that, and i dont crave more or have an adverse reactions. The breaded veal- normally "breaded" would be a bad word, but its lightly breaded and with real unprocessed breading, so a small 3oz piece is plenty and delicious.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I feel amazing eating clean and I have so much energy. I grew up on processed foods – kraft dinner, hamburger helper, noodle roni, hot dogs and chicken nuggets. If it came in a box, a jar or the freezer section, my mom would buy it.

By eating clean, I feel like I am getting so much more out of my food and getting a lot more food in a day.
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am making the transition to clean eating right now. I'm having to do it slowly since I have 4 children who are NOT happy about it. But little do they know they have already been doing it a little...
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm eating clean and loving it! It's not always easy or cheap but for me, it's worth it.
  • kbsd456
    kbsd456 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to eat clean?
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Depends what your talking about when you say 'eat clean' I eat clean, as i'm on Primal Nutrition, so no breads, pasta, rice, noodles, any of that, just fruits, veggies, protein, fat, and thats it.

If you can get organic then fine, also check what is in season at the moment, and what is not, because buying in season is not only cheaper, but the produce will be at its best now so you get the most nutritional benefit from it.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What's your definition of clean?

The only processed foods I eat are things like organic salsa, natural peanut butter or almond butter, canned or frozen fish (unseasoned, not breaded, usually wild - actually just bought organic shrimp from Safeway), these puffed brown rice crackers (rice cakes from Costco) rotisserie chicken from the deli occasionally, organic brown rice or other glutton free pasta. I make my own steel cut oats homemade enough for the workweek all at once. I made my own salad dressings, I use high quality spices usually with no MSG and with no (or very little) sugar or salt. Sometimes I buy the fresh organic spices too. I buy my meats from farmers not chain grocery stores or eat wild deer meat. Not all my fruits and veggies are organic but I try my best. Also I don't eat dairy or wheat. I don't eat any packages meals, soups or processed meats for the most part.

If you want to add me that'd be cool. I love clean eaters. I keep a blog on my progress of clean eating. My diary is also open if you want to sneak a peak.

In just over 60 days... I've lost over 21 pounds, got rid of acne, pms symptoms, brittle hair and nails, dry skin patches, my stretch marks and cellulite are reducing. I have more energy and am less moody. My spouse is losing weight without exercise as a ripple effect. I have almost no cravings for junk food or to over eat since i started clean eating. It's amazing. Honestly best decision I ever made was eating clean. It's changed my life.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am glad I didn't read this before I started I would have failed trying to eat "clean" food first of all I can't afford organic! Oh well I wish you lots of luck!!
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find eating clean takes a lot of preparation. So make sure you have meals and snacks worked out for the week so your don't get stumped with trying to find something to eat on the fly. I generally try to eat clean as possible. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I remind myself that if I stick to my calories, make sure I commit to the working out (cardio and strength training) I do just fine. But be warned it will take work!!
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find eating clean takes a lot of preparation. So make sure you have meals and snacks worked out for the week so your don't get stumped with trying to find something to eat on the fly. I generally try to eat clean as possible. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I remind myself that if I stick to my calories, make sure I commit to the working out (cardio and strength training) I do just fine. But be warned it will take work!!

I totally agree! But for me, it has been worth it so far! I don't really feel like I'm dieting at all. I think I could eat this way forever! Yum!
    And the best thing? My hubby has started doing it! It's great not having to make three different meals every night (what the kids eat, what I eat, what my hubby eats). Now I just make one meal, but supplement the kids with stuff they like. I haven't tried pushing the clean thing on them. They eat pretty healthy without me going hard core on them.

My clean rules? Well, nothing I can't pronounce to start... No meat, dairy, or eggs (plant based). Organic when possible, but I tend to be pretty broke all the time, so that doesn't happen too often...I like to eat food prepared simply...I haven't had pastas either. I just stick to fruits, veggies, brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oatmeal, organic bread with ingredients that I can pronounce...I have a few processed type items if the ingredients are simple, like Triscuits or fruit leather. I have been eating chips once in awhile too, but not all the time. It's a work in progress. Good to take everything in stride, to just try to make every day better than the last, but not be bent out of shape if I eat something that has a refined ingredient (I had a Nature Valley granola bar this morning). I am also using up my whey protein powder because it's expensive! I will replace it with plant protein eventually. I love starting the day with a protein shake...

Good luck to everyone who is on the clean eating journey! I think it's pretty awesome to eat right and feel so good. :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do it too and not only did it make me lose weight, it helps me not get sick. I haven't even had a cold in over a year. Healthy food is great for you inside and out. I don't see how you can ever go wrong cutting processed junk and eating whole foods! :) Best wishes!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Clean Eaters here as well, love it... just over a year. I've lost 85 lbs and my husband lost 75 +lbs. Our kids are not fully transitioned but were working on it. We eat meat, fruit, veg, nuts, good fats and a few other items..... dairy products, salsa, BBQ sauce, sweet chili sauce, canned tomatoes. Probley a few others but try to stay away from processed foods and refined sugars.
    Love it, it works for us! Brain fog cleared long ago, feel great, no cravings even being 3 months pregnant. Sure I see things and I want it but it passes quickly, I don't dwell on it, it doesn't stick in my head for long period of time. I try not to stray from my set rules but occasionally I do make other choices.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My success story is just that now that I eat clean I know that I am doing something good for my body.
    Even if I overeat one meal, or an entire day, I know I am not harming myself as it is all high quality high nutrition home-made food.
  • felipejose74
    felipejose74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a success story within itself. So many benefits to it!
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The Maker's diet by Jordan S. Rubin

the rule he has is if God didn't create it then we don't eat it.

we are going to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts , organic foods.
  • kegbail
    kegbail Posts: 47
    Options
    Wow! This is truly inspiring.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a success story within itself. So many benefits to it!
    This.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. I still have processed food in the pantry that we are working our way thru (sorry, can't throw out food, it cost too much to do that). We had our 1st clean dinner, hubby didn't like but 8 year old daughter loved. I got more recipes this week to try out too! I did feel better yesterday, I noticed less bloat and wasn't as tired. I hope I can continue down this path and get my family to jump on board too! Good luck to you! :happy:
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat clean. The occasional GF pizza once in a blue moon and nights out drinking alcohol but apart from that I cook everything from scratch and always have done, well 80% of the time.

I am gluten intolerant so pre-packaged stuff is a bit of a no no for me. I also like to eat organic and non GMO.

I have never been a soda or coffee drinker so I have not had to this this up which I know is hard for a lot of people. I've lost 34lbs so far just making better food choices when I do cook from scratch, controlling my portion size and working out.

I have started to log all my food here on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/youcantoutexerciseabaddiet
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The Maker's diet by Jordan S. Rubin

the rule he has is if God didn't create it then we don't eat it.

we are going to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts , organic foods.

What will you use in a pan so things don't stick?

Non stick pan?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!