Do you like Clif bars??? Other recovery foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Vega Vibrancy Bars in chocolate decadence omg.....

www.myvega.com
    www.vegasport.com
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to others made by Clif Bar Company: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products/ It also shows the nutrition values of each of them so you can compare.
    I used to use them as one of my food groups. I've since cut them out, and then noticed I felt better for it. Also have tried to reduce the amount of Soy that comes into my system, almost all the different bars out there have soy in them.

For now I avoid any processed foods/bars for pre, post, or during workouts and just try to get what I need for the day in my meals.
    Really glad you shared, enjoyed reading your experience of bars, I too try to keep soy out as much as possible, though it's not an easy feat at times, it's in so many things!:noway:
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I like them but they're more of a treat. My favorite is chocolate peanut butter, then white macadamia nut. I once found them for 50 cents each at Whole Foods just before I went volunteering in the desert mountains of Arizona so yeah I spent a week mostly feeding myself on Cliffbars haha. For post-workout I usually make my own protein shakes.
  • jbludorn
    jbludorn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOVE Clif Bars... I buy the chocolate mint bars by the box!
    I don't use them as a post-workout or recovery snack -- too heavy in my opinion.
    However, I do use them as a meal replacement when there is not time for a proper meal while working in the ER.
  • adamecks
    adamecks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are people unaware of Quest Bars on this forum? Phenomenal taste and probably the best profile on the market.

Yes, I eat Clif, Builder's, Oh Yeah!, and all that just because they taste good, but Quest is the ultimate bar all around.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Clif bars taste pretty good ( especially the chocolate chip coconut flavor) but they're around 240-250 calores & only 10g of protein. I can make a protin shake for 210 calories that is 30g of protein, greek yogurt and a homemade pumpkin protein bar for 250 calories that is 31g of protein. I keep one in my purse for emergency food, but I rarely eat them...just not worth it to me calorie-wise.
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    I eat Clif bars almost daily. I find them satisfying and delicious, unless most granola bars, which are a waste of calories. Just keep in mind they have a lot of sugar, I have to cut out dessert some days because of it. Coconut Chocolate Chip is the best, with Chocolate Mint at a close second. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are people unaware of Quest Bars on this forum? Phenomenal taste and probably the best profile on the market.

Yes, I eat Clif, Builder's, Oh Yeah!, and all that just because they taste good, but Quest is the ultimate bar all around.

Yeah I am a fan of Quest bars. Since my gym started selling them I don't eat Cliff bars as often. They are also perfect for me for pre-workout. Not too heavy. Then my gym started selling Darryl's All Natural N R GY bars - holy cow- they blow both of these out of the water. They have tons of protein but are a little higher on calories which is fine for me before a long run. Unfortunately it's a small Canadian company so I doubt most people can get them.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried Quest Bars, I prefer them to Cliff. My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough one.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to hear what people think of Mojo bars. I love them, but they might not be so healthy...

I have to say about Clif bars...I was amazed how much sugar they have in them. They keep pushing my sugar allotment way up! I do love them though and find them super convenient for breakfast with a piece of fruit when I'm running around.
  • jbludorn
    jbludorn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat Clif bars almost daily. I find them satisfying and delicious, unless most granola bars, which are a waste of calories. Just keep in mind they have a lot of sugar, I have to cut out dessert some days because of it. Coconut Chocolate Chip is the best, with Chocolate Mint at a close second. :)

Oooh! Thanks for reminding me that the coconut choco chip ones existed. Going to pick a few up on the impending grocery run tonight!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love cliff bars (chocolate mint is my favourite) however I don't use them as recovery food. They are often part of a pre-race meal for me or sometimes as a pre-workout snack. They are billed as energy bars and do have some calories in them.

They won't "ruin" your diet unless you over eat but I don't think they are the best food out there. If you like them and they replace a less wise food choice and fit in your macros, go ahead.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    No , I do not consumme them, I do a protein shake with added glutimine, rice cakes , almond butter and 1/2 apple.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have become a protein bar addict. Obsessed with trying every one I come across and most are good. I didn't like Quest bars at first but now I love them too.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If I have to eat something processed, exercise/fitness/recovery/energy related food is by far and wide the winner over fast food, sugar laden eating. I try to keep some on hand, but... I ran out. Headed to the store soon.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't use Clif bars to replace meals, but I do use them to prepare or recover from a long run. Peanut toffee buzz is my favorite, because it has caffeine in it.

It's one of the small bits of caffeine that I still allow myself, really helps to pick me up after a 9 miler :D
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I will take one with me if I am going on a long hike or bike ride as a little extra energy. That is the only time I eat them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have become a protein bar addict. Obsessed with trying every one I come across and most are good. I didn't like Quest bars at first but now I love them too.

Have you tried them heated up in the microwave? So much better
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you normally eat a 250 calorie snack then feel free to eat them in place of that, if you are just adding them to your diet you are just adding in more calories. Work them into your calorie intake.
  • TriDanimal
    TriDanimal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They are not intended to be replacement bars but with that said, I don't really use them they are too tough to digest while on the go. Many of the aid stations have them as food offerings but they are super calorie dense as stated above. I prefer to have liquid calories I can sip on them even when my stomach shuts down to prevent the bonk. I find my stomach shuts down after about 7hr mark and doesn't begin to take back in food until after the 14-15hr mark so solid food is out for at least half of my days.