Eggs- Should I eat these little eggletons?

Options
Basically I am getting some weird and wonderful cravings at the moment (and NO I am not pregnant- I never plan on children!)

But basically- my body has been craving fish and eggs... I have no clue why.
But in the past few days I have eaten about 400g of prawns and about 5 or 6 hard boiled eggs.
Now- I am not sure whether eating this many eggs is good?
I hard boil them and eat them all in one go. Gobble gobble.
But today my mother informed me that eating too many eggs can cause erm- constipation and that I shouldn't eat them really...

Is there any truth in this? And how healthy are eggs- REALLY?
I know they have a lot of fat in them, but is it good fat? Or is it as bad eating half a choccy bar? Opal ^_^

Replies

• roderick_stacey
    roderick_stacey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have my own chickens so i think farm fresh eggs are good, after all didn't God make them in nature to eat so how could they be as harmful as they say. Maybe if you get some eggs where they feed their chickens harmful things and shoot them with steroids these may be bad.
  • peart47
    peart47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Most doctors would disagree with me, but I've always thought that my body craves things for a reason. Sometimes my body says NO if I look at meat, and at times I only eat fruit because it's all I crave. If it's Ho-ho's then it's probably not a natural craving (darn those chemicals and high fructose corn syrup!) but you're craving good things so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure that you get some veggies in and watch those calories. You're gonna be fine.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs should be of more concern than the fat (why most people just use egg whites). I love hard-boiled eggs, but I only have one a day. This should shed some light on it for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/hq00608
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    All recent research says that eggs are great for you. They are high fat, but they have a good balance of omega 6 and omega3 fatty acids. They are also one of the most filling foods on the planet. I read that if you eat two eggs for breakfast you will usually eat 330 fewer calories during the rest of the day. I wouldn't eat more than two or three eggs per day though because because they are high in cholesterol.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Lots of terrific protein in eggs (the yolk & the white), nothing wrong with eggs that are laid by cage free/range free/hormone free chickens:love:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eggs can cause constipation, but you'd have to eat a whole dozen! In my opinion, FWIT, eggs are the perfect protein. Low calorie, no fat, all goodness. They used to have a bad rep with the cholesterol issue, but that's been disproven. Hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, easy over...it's all good!

And I agree, if you're craving healthy stuff like eggs and fish, your body is looking for some sort of nutrient. Go with it!
  • pepprmntkel
    Options
    You should ask a doctor or research on the internet a bit. Just because something exists in nature doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for you to eat in large quantities, especially in with our lifestyle that is much more sedentary than it once was. I'm sure it's not a problem if you don't do it every day.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Eggs can cause constipation, but you'd have to eat a whole dozen! In my opinion, FWIT, eggs are the perfect protein. Low calorie, no fat, all goodness. They used to have a bad rep with the cholesterol issue, but that's been disproven. Hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, easy over...it's all good!

And I agree, if you're craving healthy stuff like eggs and fish, your body is looking for some sort of nutrient. Go with it!
    thank you!! :bigsmile: I have such a tough time reading egg hater threads over and over again on the boards it's nice to actually hear another share how they really are very healthy and a great source of protein.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    They have recently been described as nature' s perfect food!:smile:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Eggs have got a bad rap because of the cholestoral.. but they are good for you and an excellant source of protein. I don't know about constipation specifically, but adding lots of any specific food to your diet all at once is bound to have some sort of impact on your system.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think the constipation is caused because protien does not have roughage--you know--the stuff that helps push the food through the intestines. If you put eggs with veggies, fruits, or any other fiber, you might not have constipation.
    I will still imit myself to one a day.
    BUT, you cannot hold me back when I am in the same room as avocados and black olives! They are high is the very healthy fats, and I adore them--so I understand your love of eggs.
    Here's to deliscious and healthy foods! :drinker:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolk people! For all the folks out there who are struggling to eat their calories...eat the yolk! Egg whites have some value, but the real goodness is in the yolk :-)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs should be of more concern than the fat (why most people just use egg whites). I love hard-boiled eggs, but I only have one a day. This should shed some light on it for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/hq00608

There is nothing wrong with the cholesterol in eggs. Eggs are very good for you. Good source of protein.

I am not trying to start an argument or a debate, but the "scare" of eggs being bad for you came about when the "low fat revolution" came about 50 or 60 years ago...........

Recent research says other wise............
    For more than 50 years eggs have been called unhealthful because they are among the foods that contain the highest levels of cholesterol. However, in recent years eggs have been rehabilitated. This month, a team of researchers at Mahidol University in Bangkok showed that adding an egg a day to the diets of healthy people in Thailand raised the good HDL cholesterol that prevents heart attacks. It did not affect the bad LDL cholesterol or triglycerides (Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, March 2008).

Adding as many as three eggs per day to your diet will not raise cholesterol. More than 80 percent of the cholesterol in your body is manufactured by your liver, and less than 20 percent comes from the food you eat. When you eat more cholesterol, your liver makes less. When you eat less cholesterol, your liver makes more. However, if you add eggs you must subtract another equal source of calories, because increasing caloric intake will raise cholesterol.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Almost 100% of the time if I crave fruit I will be sick within a few days. It's my bodies way of telling me to eat something healthy to fight off what's happening. I love eggs and COULD NOT survive dieting without that good protein...yolk and all.
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options

There is nothing wrong with the cholesterol in eggs. Eggs are very good for you. Good source of protein.

I am not trying to start an argument or a debate, but the "scare" of eggs being bad for you came about when the "low fat revolution" came about 50 or 60 years ago...........

For more than 50 years eggs have been called unhealthful because they are among the foods that contain the highest levels of cholesterol. However, in recent years eggs have been rehabilitated. This month, a team of researchers at Mahidol University in Bangkok showed that adding an egg a day to the diets of healthy people in Thailand raised the good HDL cholesterol that prevents heart attacks. It did not affect the bad LDL cholesterol or triglycerides (Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, March 2008).

Adding as many as three eggs per day to your diet will not raise cholesterol. More than 80 percent of the cholesterol in your body is manufactured by your liver, and less than 20 percent comes from the food you eat. When you eat more cholesterol, your liver makes less. When you eat less cholesterol, your liver makes more. However, if you add eggs you must subtract another equal source of calories, because increasing caloric intake will raise cholesterol.

I have to agree with this. My mother has heart problems and problems with her cholesterol, and her first heart doctor just pumped her full of pills and told her to eat a very low fat diet and her health continued to get worse. My family and I convinced her to swich to a different doctor. Her is a conventional doctor however he told my mom point blank that his mission was to get her to the point she did not need a whole list of meds or to have to come and see him as often. He switched her to a diet of whole natural foods lower carbs and yes she can eat eggs, just in moderation. So far she has lost weight, lowered her blood pressure, cholesterol and now only has to take 3 meds (one of which is a supplement, not really a med) where she used to take 7 different ones. I wish all conventional doctors cared about their patients as a whole person instead of just a dollar sign. They are out there, just hard to find.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. My mother has heart problems and problems with her cholesterol, and her first heart doctor just pumped her full of pills and told her to eat a very low fat diet and her health continued to get worse. My family and I convinced her to swich to a different doctor. Her is a conventional doctor however he told my mom point blank that his mission was to get her to the point she did not need a whole list of meds or to have to come and see him as often. He switched her to a diet of whole natural foods lower carbs and yes she can eat eggs, just in moderation. So far she has lost weight, lowered her blood pressure, cholesterol and now only has to take 3 meds (one of which is a supplement, not really a med) where she used to take 7 different ones. I wish all conventional doctors cared about their patients as a whole person instead of just a dollar sign. They are out there, just hard to find.

Thanks for this. I am sorry that yoru mother has had to go through this, but your mom's case proves my point that most Doctor's don't care to make their patients well again.............

All they care about is how many scripts they can write to get their free vacations, check rebates, and other perks that Big Pharma gives them for pushing the meds............

the doctors, government and Pharmaceutical companies don't want to make us healthier!!! They want us to get sicker so we have to depend on this more and more and more..........

I am not a conspiracy theorist and this is not a conspiracy, it is the TRUTH!!!

Edited to add: I have switched to a Naturopathic doctor to get me well.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol thing is a fluke. My dad ate 3 everyday for like, a year, and his bad cholesterol went DOWN. They say to control cholesterol to only eat 1 per day...so I really think it depends on your body. He was a preeeeeeeetty big guy (lost 150 lbs in a year and a half) so his body might have taken to it differently than your small frame will...but, I've been safe on eating 2 a day for a few weeks straight. Always helps me lose weight, stay full and not overeat at other meals. Trying to get back into the habit of eating a bigger breakfast.

BUT, 4-6 eggs at one TIME... I don't think that's healthy because yes, then you have to worry about the fat. The fat in one or two is good for you because it's natural but not that many at one time. I think then you'd have to worry about it.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 egg whites and a whole egg almost every day. Eggs ARE my breakfast and on days when I opt to do something "different" - I'm starved. Ir's a great protein source and a great energy source.

Ya know, everytime I hear someone talk about the cholesterol and fat content in eggs... I think of my family in KY. They live on a farm and are out working it... daily. Each morning they eat eggs, bacon, toast, oatmeal and orange juice. High calorie? You bet ya. High cholesterol? Yep. High sodium? Sure. BUT - they're lean, mean, farming machines. The family in general lives to be in their 90's.

They are eating well so that they can work hard. That's what our bodies are meant to do... work hard. I don't do the bacon and toast in the morning... but then again, I don't work hard like they do.

Eggs will not hurt you. They'll give you stinky gas and burps... but they will not hurt you!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol thing is a fluke. My dad ate 3 everyday for like, a year, and his bad cholesterol went DOWN. They say to control cholesterol to only eat 1 per day...so I really think it depends on your body. He was a preeeeeeeetty big guy (lost 150 lbs in a year and a half) so his body might have taken to it differently than your small frame will...but, I've been safe on eating 2 a day for a few weeks straight. Always helps me lose weight, stay full and not overeat at other meals. Trying to get back into the habit of eating a bigger breakfast.

BUT, 4-6 eggs at one TIME... I don't think that's healthy because yes, then you have to worry about the fat. The fat in one or two is good for you because it's natural but not that many at one time. I think then you'd have to worry about it.

Just clarifying... I think she said 5-6 eggs over the last few days...
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's great just don't eat the yoke. To many cals I eat 12 egg whites a day