putting it back on

Options
I understand now why it says a lot of people after losing weight put it back on.
Because i'm smaller and confident with my weight now I say yes to that extra slice of cake, chocolate bar, meal out, alcoholic drink and this weekend i've been saying it's fine, i wont put weight on overnight, ill start eating healthily tomorrow, i said that the last 3 nights, I'm slacking and i'm worried i'll go backt to my old eating habits. I was so disciplined when I first began to lose weight, but now i'm so greedy, I'm finding I'm not portion controlling junk food, just eating more til its gone so i cant have anymore!

Replies

• kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    This is always my problem. I can get the weight off, but have trouble keeping it off. I weigh myself every day and obviously keep track of my food and beverages on MFP. If you weigh yourself very often, and keep track of what you are taking in, that should help keep you on track.

I also find that attending a meeting and being accountable to someone other than yourself is also helpful.

Best of luck. This is a lifelong struggle for me.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    First step, please log everything you eat even if its cake etc., Just the act of logging makes one aware of the calorie intake.

Second, don't beat yourself up about what you consumed. Just be aware next time. Reaching a goal weight is not the end of the journey. We all slip up and get back on the saddle again.
  • chloejaneg1007
    Options
    I am in the exact same position! i was so good and strict with myself and i was happy with myself but then i started slacking. I would say oh its just today and ill be good again tomorrow then itd happen again the next day and i will feel that bad , that i force myself to be extra good again and that lasts for 4-5 days until i have a bad day again. and i just cant help myself, i feel so greedy and cannot control myself when it comes to junk food. I have noticed some weight creeping back on and im so upset about it.
    i have decided today is the day that i am going to start doing this properly again! and my sister is doing it with me this time so it should be easier and i am joining the gym this week as that was another problem- i got sick of my old workout routine.

This weight cannot keep coming back!
    any help and tips would be great
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's the mindset that sabotages all the hard work done by many people after they have lost the weight. That's why dieting doesn't work well because you figure when the goal is reached, you're done. The truth is it's a lifestyle change that lives on after the goal is reached, with some modifications.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    That's y they say its a lifestyle change. Unfortunately u have to stick with it. I'm probably gonna have the same problem once I start reaching my goals.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nonbonjovi. Log, log, log! I am sure you are sick of it, want to feel like it's over. The more overweight you have been, the more this is like a lifetime AA thing. A "dry alcoholic" equals a "thin overeater."
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have put on about 10 lbs in the last year. I just got into the midset that I could drink coke and do what I want, but the scale is telling me that I can not. I am falling back into old patterns- it is a life style change that I need to get back on board with while I still can.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    This is the rest of our lives...
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I am less than 10 pounds from my goal weight. But what that one person said is true...it is like an alcoholic. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be logging for the rest of my life. When I think I've arrived...I'm wrong. It is a lifelong journey.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 2 months (a little more actually) and I still log every day. I also still weigh in every week. Maintenance is hard. It's harder than losing weight IMO. When you're losing you get to see the number on the scale move. With maintenance you just see the same weight every time you weight. I started lifting and focusing on macros, and that has given me more to focus on. It's good to have goals, and trying to hit my macros as much as possible crowds out the treats.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Even women who always maintain their goal weight will say, "It is a constant struggle."
    Think "healthy" concentrate on eating more vegetables and making healthy choices.
    As human beings we do not like being told what NOT to do, so just tell yourself , vegetables and healthy choices.

Oh, one woman I worked with use to say, "I eat everything I want, I just do not want very much."
    That was sort of self-hypnosis that worked for her, her whole lifetime.
    See what can work for you:
    "I feel so much better when I exercise."
    "I feel so much better when I eat light."
    "I love looking good and seeing it on the face of others who love it too."

Vanity is really a blessing. I swear vain people take better care of themselves.
    I could use a double dose myself.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am less than 10 pounds from my goal weight. But what that one person said is true...it is like an alcoholic. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be logging for the rest of my life. When I think I've arrived...I'm wrong. It is a lifelong journey.

I have decided the same. After decades of yo yo dieting, I am a logger. I am hoping that the more consistent my logging, the more consistent my weight will be. It is working now on Month 15. December 24th is the anniversary of my lifestyle commitment... really don't ever want to be an unhealthy weight again..

So I log
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I understand what your going through. I lost 30 pounds, got comfortable, started eating like crap again. And now here I am again, starting from scratch = /