Pain from biking?

Options
I got my bike out yesterday for a ride to work, it's 5.3 km each way and only a few hills (mostly flat roads). When I woke up this morning though my back was incredibly sore! I'm not sure if it's from the bike ride as I've never experience something like this from biking before. My muscles just feel sore. I do have a physical job but nothing that would cause discomfort like this. Has anyone else experienced any pain from biking in their back?

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My husband is a mountain biker; he rides on a team and practices with guys from numerous other teams. That being said, it's very common for cyclists to have poor core strength which can cause lower back pain during and following a ride. I've heard that Pilates is a great way to strengthen your core if you plan to bike often. I know who I go for long rides, my lower to mid back is sore and I have pretty poor core strength.
  • carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! It is actually my mid to upper back where the discomfort is. After posting this I remember I had softball practice on friday and was up to bat for quite a while which I haven't done in about a year so that might actually be the cause of it :)
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Its possible that your bike doesn't fit you...saddle is to high/low, saddle is to far forward/backward, handlebar is to high/low, reach is to long. IF its the first time on the bike in a while, you will be using muscles that you haven't used in a while...or it could be that riding the bike and your regular physical job was just to much and now your feeling it.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I always find I get bike butt the first few rides. Might be nothing more than re-adjusting to the seat wedgy, :)