Fasting- good or bad?

Options
Hi friends,
I am considering doing a 24-36 hour fast. I am very excited about this. I have completed 18-20 hour fasts before. I just do not want to cross the line of having my muscles destroyed from fasting. Will a 24 hour fast be a good enough fast to help detox and give my digestive system some rest (I will be drinking water with lime and lemon) time? I just want to make sure that I am not ruining precious muscle.
I have heard that fasting is good- within certain time constraints so your muscles do not eat up. What are your thoughts on fasting for this amount of time?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Will a 24 hour fast be a good enough fast to help detox and give my digestive system some rest (I will be drinking water with lime and lemon) time? I just want to make sure that I am not ruining precious muscle.

totally not needed. Fasting isn't going to "detox" anything.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to detox and your digestive system doesn't need a rest. You won't lose muscle in 24 hours but you'll probably be very hungry and accomplish nothing.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I fast for 24 hours at least once a week (sometimes twice). It's called intermittent fasting. There is a lot of good research behind it.

I don't believe in the whole detoxing thing but I definitely feel great at the end of a 24 hour fast. The easiest way (for me) is just dinner to dinner (finish eating at 6pm, have dinner the following day at 6pm).

Also, research has shown that muscle atrophy doesn't occur until the fasting hits 72 hours (as long as you are eating properly before and after fasting).
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There are legitimate reasons for fasting. Detoxing isn't one of them. Generally, neither is weight loss.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just changing up the foods you eat and the types of exercise you do is enough. You don't need to fast, all you need to do is cause calorie confusion. Also, if you are worried about the whole "starvation mode" thing, that doesn't happen until after 72 hours.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Some research indicates undesirable hormone responses in women (not sure if you're male or female), but you might want to look into that/consider it.

Having said that, I've done 24/36 hour fasts (twice recently just because and quite a few times over the years on particular religious days).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    I am considering doing a 24-36 hour fast. I am very excited about this. I have completed 18-20 hour fasts before. I just do not want to cross the line of having my muscles destroyed from fasting. Will a 24 hour fast be a good enough fast to help detox and give my digestive system some rest (I will be drinking water with lime and lemon) time? I just want to make sure that I am not ruining precious muscle.
    I have heard that fasting is good- within certain time constraints so your muscles do not eat up. What are your thoughts on fasting for this amount of time?

Your digestive system does not need or want "rest" any more than your heart, and fasting for a day will not "detox" anything.

If you want to do it for your mental health or whatever, but it's not like some health boost. You won't lose any muscle or anything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to detox and your digestive system doesn't need a rest. You won't lose muscle in 24 hours but you'll probably be very hungry and accomplish nothing.

^^basically this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Some research indicates undesirable hormone responses in women (not sure if you're male or female), but you might want to look into that/consider it.

Having said that, I've done 24/36 hour fasts (twice recently just because and quite a few times over the years on particular religious days).

^^yep. Women can be more susceptible to screwing up their hormones with fasting - it depends on the individual.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My Dr. whom is a longevity, and diet expert, is pro fasting, but he wants to discuss it with me before I do it. So I don't have the exact scientific insight just yet. I will have the conversation with him tomorrow. I look forward to other responses here also.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I fast but it has nothing to do with detoxing or weight loss or anything like that which is good because I'm pretty sure it's useless for that. If you are into meditation and/or prayer, it is quite good for that. Won't kill you or hurt you as long as it's not too often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't know much in the way of specifics, but I have heard that the fat burning from fasting plateaus at around 18 hours. I haven't really done much in the way of research, so whatever I've heard is just whatever...it's never really interested me and sounds like not much fun.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Millions of people are doing this every day although many of them have no choice about it. It takes 3 to 5 days to fully digest all the food in your system so I am not sure how much rest your body will be getting but it certainly shouldn't hurt you any. I don't know about any detox effect unless normally you are putting a lot of bad things into your body in which case one day would be better than none. Most of the benefits I have received from fasting have been spiritual in nature more than physical.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Fasting for 24 to 36 hours will not cause any significant muscle loss, nor will it throw off your metabolism. Fasting is the most natural way to purge (detox) the body. Make sure to drink plenty of water (take half your weight in pounds and drink that many of ounces of water).
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. The only reason I shared the "detox" claim is because I find that after fasting I am able to have a BM which generally does not occur daily or even every three days. I am sorry for the confusion :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. The only reason I shared the "detox" claim is because I find that after fasting I am able to have a BM which generally does not occur daily or even every three days. I am sorry for the confusion :)
    make sure you're getting enough:
    1.water.
    2. fiber.

You shouldn't have to STOP eating to poop.
  • tgustafson85
    tgustafson85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ate more than I normally do this past weekend, going over my calorie thresholds. Is there any value in fasting to "even" the overages out?
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    Coming from the girl who tried this, no, it does not. Just start fresh tomorrow :)
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Hi friends,
    Fasting is an AMAZING experience. Please only listen to advice from those who have tried it. Only those people will be able to tell you how they felt, what they experienced and only those people will be able to give you educated info (more so than not) bc ppl interested in fasting do their research, they don't just "do it". Just as you are now asking about it. You are doing research (in one form) by requesting reviews.

I would like to suggest adding wheat grass juice to your lemon water, bc it gives you energy. It will make you feel like you just drank caffeine. When you drink lemon water or lime water on an empty stomach it balances your PH and it also kills bad bacteria among destroying cancer cells. The lemon water will also losen mucus trapped in your body from the meat and other things we eat. Also I would drink a detox tea like senna to push the mucus through your body since you will not be consuming fiber. Drink it in the morning and at night. If you don't cleanse often or detox often you may get cramps at first from being "built up" if you know what I mean. When you losen mucus/toxins it will make you feel sick, much like a massage losening toxins will make you feel flu-like until you flush it out. Also it is best to drink the water at room temp vs cold. More on WHY if you request me to tell you but I don't want to bog you down. The lemons/limes are acidic on the outside until they are consumed, but once inside your body they are alkaline and super healthy to consume on an empty stomach. . This cleanse will give your digestive tract a much needed rest. I do drink lemon water every morning on an empty stomach. I wait thirty mins before eating. There are so many benefits to your health from just that alone.

Additional reading on this. Google Tosca Reno fast. She suggest the same two day fast before a cleanse.

Good luck. YOu are going to have so much energy in a few days. Oh and muscle will not break down in that short time frame. I forgot the numbers, but I believe it takes weeks of fasting or starvation to deplete the muscles.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

Hi, I am interested in reading this info. Do you have the link or can you tell me how to find it? Thanks.