Plain Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The best, especially to use in lieu of sour sauce, is FAGE 1%-2%. You can make something very similar if you just put Danon plain yogurt in a paper coffee filter and let it stay for 3-4 hours and you will see more than a glass of water coming off. That's what really Greek yogurt is about, strained regular yogurt. It is also great to mix with 1 tb honey and walnuts, as a dessert. Another recipe is to blend it with garlic in the blender so it can become a creamy sauce, but it becomes watery.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I mean, is it something you have to get used to, or is it delicious?
    . I am intrigued, but dont want it to be weird. lol
    How weird can it get? If you try it and don't like it then don't eat it. Simple stuff.
    Being afraid to try something new is a little weird. Don't be weird, try it. You might like it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have made some cakes and cookies that require Sour Cream and I have replaced with Greek Yogurt instead. No one knew the difference and everyone loved it. I have been bouncing the idea back and forth about not buying sour cream any longer and using the yogurt for everything.

I LOVE Greek yogurt with fruits, granola, nuts, or honey!

Also with tahini or peanut better. Great if you're trying to increase protein intake.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for sour cream or buttermilk, in cooking and baking. One of my favorite snacks is greek yogurt topped with salsa, with celery sticks for dipping. Brands do count; IMO Chaboni and Fage are the best.

You can add it to a sauce or gravy without curdling. Stir in a tablespoon of flour per cup and temper the yogurt by adding the hot liquid a little bit at a time (1 teaspoon to start). Stir it in good and repeat, gradually increasing the amount of liquid until the yogurt is warm to the touch. Then you can add the yogurt into the pan.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I LOVE greek yogurt, but I never buy plain. I really like Lemon and Lime flavors. But I have never tried plain. Will give it a try as a SC sub.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think it tastes like sour cream, or even yogurt ...to me it just tastes disgusting.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use it when I am baking and cover up the tastes with herbs and spices. I tried it once as a topping and didn't like it. I just use light sour cream for toppings.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt , brazil nuts and honey . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i do Greek yogurt almond and honey

different brands taste different. my favorite store bought brand is fage 2% not fat free. I recently learned to make my own yogurt its better tasting but takes time.

oh and yes I do use it as sour cream substitute.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought sour cream in years. I always have plain greek yogurt, so that's what I use and have used since I started buying my own groceries. Also, in pasta salad or coleslaw, instead of only mayo i'll use 50/50 mayo/greek yogurt.

Yesterday, I tried a cole slaw made with 50/50 Greek yogurt and mayo, with the addition of a bit of apple cider vinegar.. It was delicious, and my first taste of anything with Greek yogurt..
  • jason2099
    Options
    Look up tzatziki to see how plain yogurt (strained or Greek) can be mixed with other tasty ingredients.
  • larabell69
    Options
    I love it! mix with hidden valley ranch mix and dip veggies... mix 1/4 cup with tbs of peanut butter and dip an apple.. on my potato as well with dill and butter buds!! yummy :) over night oat is a fav for sure!! look up in community blogs and you will find so many differnt ways to make them!! Have fun with it!
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't use Greek yogurt as a sub 100% of the time for SC, but it works great for mexican food or in stews!

But I just found my new all time favorite use for it. Mix 1 part greek yogurt, 1 part peanut butter. It is just like the filling of a PB cup, perfect for dipping apples!!
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use it for anything that would call for sour cream, and it's just as good - to me. The probiotics are really good for you.

I also use it to make savory salad dressings, just add spices. Or I mix it with salsa to top potatoes and Mexican dishes.
    I mix yogurt, balsamic vinegar, milk to thin it and either grain mustard or horseradish sauce as a salad dressing.

Your dressing sounds really good!
  • Millie0322
    Options
    I HATE greek yogurt. I've tried many different brands and flavors but the smell bothers me no matter what and the taste....awful. Makes me want to yack, but some people really love it. Guess it depends on the person. I will stick to regular light yogurt.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for sour cream or buttermilk, in cooking and baking. One of my favorite snacks is greek yogurt topped with salsa, with celery sticks for dipping. Brands do count; IMO Chaboni and Fage are the best.

You can add it to a sauce or gravy without curdling. Stir in a tablespoon of flour per cup and temper the yogurt by adding the hot liquid a little bit at a time (1 teaspoon to start). Stir it in good and repeat, gradually increasing the amount of liquid until the yogurt is warm to the touch. Then you can add the yogurt into the pan.

Thanks for your post! You just explained my epic fail tonight. I made chicken breasts with a chipotle sauce. It called for sour cream and as usual I subbed with Fage 2% yogurt which I love. Guess I"d never used Fage in a sauce you have to cook. I blended it with the chipotle peppers, milk, and some chicken broth and then then added it to the pan. Well it curdled right away :grumble: . It tasted ok but looked gross. I told my son - "it's fine just bits of cheese." lol.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes when making a curry as a substitute for cream based dishes. It is also brilliant for stroganoff. You do need to temper it by adding a bit of the hot sauce to it and whisking, adding more hot sauce to get a light creamy consistency and then adding it to your main saucepan. It does work.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    it works for somethings and not for others !! experiment away! today i tried using it in my protein shake to add protein and texture, and it totally sucked.... never again.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt is not as tasty as sour cream, and I probably wouldn't substitute one for the other. It's really tangy and not all that enjoyable on its own. I use it to add some protein to my berry smoothies, but I haven't come up with any other uses for it.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have never used it as a sub for sour cream so I can't speak based on that. I find that it just tastes like regular yogurt but creamier.

THIS but add fruit to it! :bigsmile: