almond milk

Options
When I search topics I always find someone talking about using almond milk. I was just curious as to what it is, and what it tastes like. Do you substitute it for regular milk?

Replies

• RhondaCrombie
    Options
    Yes, and it tastes WONDERFUL! I gave up dairy a couple of years ago and now drink either almond milk or soy. :smile:
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is all I drink for milk. I use it on cereal and in smoothies. It takes a little while to adjust to it from regular milk, but I love it. I drink the Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened. It's very low in calories and has no sugar. I'm a huge advocate for almond milk. :)
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk!!! I'm nursing a baby who is dairy sensitive which is why I drink it. It's definitely the best tasting dairy alternative out there! Low in calories and in carbs.
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    LOVE IT! U should def. try it. And soy as well. They have all sorts of flavors so if ur "weening" urself you have options ya know. =) Hope u like!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk!!! I'm nursing a baby who is dairy sensitive which is why I drink it. It's definitely the best tasting dairy alternative out there! Low in calories and in carbs.

That's how I discovered it too - I love both almond milk and soy milk.

Megan, I'd say it's similar in consistency to skim milk. It is "milky" (as opposed to clear) and has just a teeny hint of almond flavor, but it's a great alternative to milk.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Almond milk is my fave...I get the chocolate flavored stuff sometimes to put in my coffee mmmmmmmmm
  • kjrosa
    kjrosa Posts: 34
    Options
    I <3 Almond Milk...I drink it in replacement of regular milk...regular milk no matter if it is fatty, or no fat at all, has 12g of sugar per 8oz no matter what...I drink Almond Dreams Almond Drink Unsweetened Original and it has NO SUGAR !!! That is VERY important to me because I am borderline diabetic.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I switched over to almond milk because I've never been a milk fan and thought I'd give it a shot so that maybe I would drink the milk in my cereal after eating the cereal part... I LOVE it. I've always hated milk but almond milk is smooth and creamy with a slight nutty flavor that I love. I get the vanilla flavor for my cereal and the chocolate to have a glass with my afternoon snack.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Good question! I have never been a milk fan either! I use vanilla soy milk for my cereal. I RARELY have cereal. I have been looking at almond milk also. It seems to have less calories. You can find it on the self (usually on baking isle) or the frig at your local market.
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this - I have been using Rice Milk with extra protein, but it is quite high in sugar and when you just loooove your cereal, it invariably puts me over in cals and sugar - I'll definitely be checking it out - and the vanilla sounds like it would be great to try too. Thanks heaps for the info.

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Soy because it has a long shelf life. I didn't like the original so I drank Vanilla. I still didn't really care for it because it was sweet and I still had to buy cow's milk for cooking, i.e. mash potatoes. I love the original Almond Milk and wished I known about it years ago. You can even make it at home. Here is a link to a recipe.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Milk-an-Almond-fresh-homemade-almond-milk/
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk in my oatmeal. It is very low calorie and has a nice taste to it. It doesn't have much protein, but it adds some flavor and vitamins.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk in my oatmeal. It is very low calorie and has a nice taste to it. It doesn't have much protein, but it adds some flavor and vitamins.

Great idea! I may try this tomorrow for breakfast!

As for in general, I agree with the others- I LOVE almond milk! I often drink it as a "dessert" later in the evening when I want something sweet but don't want to kill my calories. It's filling and usually does the trick. I prefer the original, too. I think the vanilla is too sweet.
  • MeganFex
    MeganFex Posts: 46
    Options
    thanks! I think I will try it. Seems like it's a good alternative to milk! :D
  • christied954
    Options
    I've seen it at the grocery store but never paid much attention to it. I'll have to try it now!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's a good low calorie substitute. Doesn't taste like much, even the flavored kinds. But it's pretty nutritionless.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    My favorite is Almond Breeze vanilla flavored...I have it w/ cereal, w/ my chai, anything....it is so flavorful and not artificial tasting!